Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rat Rod Patina

rolla rat rod 10 members have voted

  1. 1. rat rolla cool

    • rat rolla a wreckers thing
      100%
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Lately i've become a massive fan of rat rod patina. Basically it means an old car that hasn't been restored. Accepting the fact the car is super old, rusty, but keeping the beast going.

 

Anyone can resto a car and say look how shiny my thing (pun intended) is.

 

but having a period machine, done a zillion k's car........that is cool.

Edited by Bamboo

  • Replies 30
  • Views 55.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hellllll yeaaa. surface rust, red rims and white wall tyres, camping gear on the roof = win

  • 3 weeks later...

Its not a wreckers thing... buts I can't vote otherwise!

 

I'm a trimmer and do lots of customs, rods and rats... primer, surface rust and general old faded paint is cool... but only on certain cars. Early rollas it works, ke3x onwards its just not right!

 

JP

FACE...... PALM.

 

 

the term "rat rod" is overused and hackneyed. The concept of hitting a good paintjob with steel wool is stupid. Painting faux patina on sucks.

 

I love the traditional rods, forties and fifties lake style rods; flat black and flat oxide red BUT THEY ARE NOT RAT RODS!

 

I don't roll with the contrived look.

 

Don't mind an authentic rusty body dropped on and never painted, that's all good. But so many people just try too hard.

FACE...... PALM.

 

 

the term "rat rod" is overused and hackneyed. The concept of hitting a good paintjob with steel wool is stupid. Painting faux patina on sucks.

 

I love the traditional rods, forties and fifties lake style rods; flat black and flat oxide red BUT THEY ARE NOT RAT RODS!

 

I don't roll with the contrived look.

 

Don't mind an authentic rusty body dropped on and never painted, that's all good. But so many people just try too hard.

 

You summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Slamming an 80 year car on OG but worn paint and throwing in a V8 and restoring the mechanics is cool. The paint has patina. Building a hot rod and painting it flat black is equally nice, but it doesn't have patina - it's still brand new paint, albeit flat.

 

It reminds me of another term I hate, ratlook. How the f@$k can grinding down your paint on selected areas of a car and throwing on a roof rack be considered cool? This is already confused with the original post in the first reply. I hate seeing 20 year old cars with as much shit possible on the roof and a rusted bonnet or whatever else you might find 'creative'. Someone managed to say I had done well in building a ratlook car with this, I got so annoyed by that...

If anyone is serious about doing this or wants the look of a rat rod without rust eating their car away PPG has a new range of low gloss 2pak paint that will still protect your pride and joy.

Yes i know there has always been low gloss 2K but its always been crap below 5 gloss units this stuff was made to reproduce OEM low gloss body finishes..

 

If anyone wants product codes or information i will dig up the copy of refinisher mag or call a rep just pm me.

to me it seems like people do work on their cars, to make it look like they don't do work on their cars. (scrubbing paint etc)

 

there are some cool contraptions out there though

 

like this

ratrod1.jpg

 

but what is it for?

Someone managed to say I had done well in building a ratlook car with this, I got so annoyed by that...

I don't think he built that.

seabiscuit, the car is mine.

And yeah, it's just an ex winter beater.. Shitter for sure. Looking for wheels for it now though :blinks:

Hmmm. rat rod and rat look... fail...

 

I have a mate who has a 80s civic sedan on cut springs, spray can black and whitewalls with moony hubcaps...

Sure it's rat look. even has custom plates with the word rat in it...

but it aint a friggin rat rod. simple as that.

 

A rat rod, by definition is a street rod (in the legal sense of the word, "A Street Rod shall mean a vehicle that has a body and frame that were built before 1949, that has been modified for safe road use, or a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949." - DPI website.)

 

From a street rod/hot rod, it follows a particular style of build, where function outweighs form. That's why things like fancy paintwork, properly lined up panels, rust repairs etc are left off in favour of engine conversions and modifications and suspension and chassis strengthening...

 

Just because some moron decided to ruin his paint and make his car a rusty bucket doesn't make it a rat rod... it just makes him a tool.

Pics of rat rollas anyone?

 

I want see them all!

 

I love ratty looking cars with epic mods.. hella sick house .

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.