4k-c Turbo Build!

Jaydnisevil

with dyno can hold at certain load bands and stuff but i suppose carb shouldnt be too bad we use our dyno for everything wouldnt drive a car untill we dyno it properly and timing is prob main thing so you can see roller torque go down before it pings there is a lot in it mate

Members dont see this ad

Spanner in the works :bash:

Dads not welded the remaining pieces, and has left them at work (And today is his day off)

Looks like it will be next weekend :(

Should really work on my welding skills, that way it would have been done two weeks ago :P

Anywho mucked around for a bit last night, and made a little bracket that holds my fusebox in place

IMG_2496.jpg

Also my bleeder arrived yesterday (I have never opened a package faster, quite literally tore it open with my teeth :P)

IMG_2491.jpg

So thats mounted in a decent spot, need to purchase some more hose clamps for it.. Bloody hose clamps will be the death of me, costing heaps :P

Ohh yea and replaced my ghetto throttle cable with a new custom length one, choke cable is in as well. But again I need my manifold to route it :(

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Thats a Toyota CT9..... which I personally think is too small..... but each to their own.

I would recommend a T25 from the first SR20's. Pretty well sized to start with and if you want to upgrade with the same flange (T2)there is endless possibilities. :wink:

SU's are pretty simple things

LoL! I used to believe that too! Until I started modifying stuff!

Fit the oxy sensors and the mixture gauge before you fire it up! One run on lean and its all over for the pistons...

The dyno curve should be interesting!

LoL! I used to believe that too! Until I started modifying stuff!

Fit the oxy sensors and the mixture gauge before you fire it up! One run on lean and its all over for the pistons...

The dyno curve should be interesting!

Haha they are a simple concept, not a simple thing ;)

I went for the CT9 mainly because a mate of mine was selling his. That and it came off a 1.3L Starlet GT

A car with DOHC's and a much higher revlimit (Flow requirements).

My mate had a dyno of his starlet, showed very little signs of running out of puff at the top end :)

EG

@12psi

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/juzzman/dyno-results1.jpg

@9psi

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/51MPL/khoisstarletdynograph.jpg

@13psi

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/scragley/scragleydyno.jpg

@12psi

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/rikjames_bucket/StarletDyno1.jpg

Bigger may be better, but considering I was going with a draw through setup I wanted something that wouldn't heat up the air too much (Intercooler is NOT an option) :)

As TAZ said, each to his own. I am happy with this for now :) In the end I would prefer a engine swap.

Its already ran early on in the piece and I adjusted the carby to very rich! I saw's black smoke coming out the exhaust = me and engine happy for now :)

Once I'm happy with the setup and there are no leaks etc, I shall install the O2 and invest in gauge :)

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Ok I changed my mind, moddifying SU's is a pain in the ass !! :P

I'm trying to find out what type mine is and its a nightmare. ID like to run a service kit through it, or a needle and jet at the least. But to find what needle I need I need to know the model not to mention if and where about I'm running rich/lean :P

They put part numbers on their products that don't reference to the actual product :( lol.

Umm the manifold has its little piece in for the brake booster, but the rest remains unfinnished :(

ET of completion still remains this weekend.

Leaks in the manifold welded, painting completed :) (Drying on the pot belly as I type)

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

Got the wastegate outlet welded today, photo only of when it was recently done not mounted. It was raining and I wasnt gonna stand outside any longer than I had to :P

IMG_2525.jpg

Ohh Invested in an AFR gauge :)

Excuse the mount, I was seeking alternatives to the pod. It dosn't look nice, so Ill just go with the good old pod.

th_IMG_2530.jpg

Got the nut for the oxygen sensor, but not yet mounted.

Hopefully will have it fully wired up this weekend.

Spent too much money today, gonna be in struggle town for the remainder of this week :( lol.

Alrighty then, dad still hadn't done anything yet so I just did it myself :P

The coolant lines are complete :)

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

I had to make out of aluminium, because I wouldn't be able to bend steel pipe.

If something goes funky ill replace with copper lines and a steel plate, but for now its fine :)

The manifold has been installed (with booster line)

Personally I think its a bit too red, so I might buy a black silicone joiner to even things out :)

IMG_2563.jpg

The throttle cable remains, and now I have to relocate the bleeder as the coolant lines are in the way (Not difficult)

EDIT:

Ohh and very annoyingly the AFR gauge was narrow band only, the sensor I have is wide-band.

Took it back to auto-barn, they said they will exchange it Tuesday (They don't stock many wide-band gauges, and need to call up to get prices)

Edited by Jaydnisevil

And..... I drove it today :D

Throttle cable setup done and took her for a drive to the petrol station :)

It was only only 5 psi because I don't have the AFR gauge yet (This week me thinks)

Anywho its back apart again, I have a radiator to patch up :)

Few bits and pieces to do now:

* I'm getting the carby to turbo pipe TIG welded (The old brazing was leaking)

* Bracket for the carby to stop it shaking (wont be hard)

* Wideband O2 gauge (This week maybe?)

* Exhaust flange so I can continue the exhaust, I can't have it all one peice

* Radiator leak

I also will need to get carbon seals put in the turbo, figured this would be a problem but hoped for it not to be an issue :P

The only reason it needs it is when I sit still too long, it sucks the oil into the turbo and I get a nice plume of smoke following the car :P

Anywho it has been driven :D