Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Girl's Ke70

Featured Replies

  • Author

Ah, back into it...

 

So, it is not easy to find the 2-into-one pipes that go from the stock bigport manifold to the exhaust under the floor.. The 4AGE was never sold here in RWD, so they aren't an item at the wrecker.

 

Extractors are a nice idea, but they're also getting thin on the ground and carry $500 upwards price tags. The option was to trailer it off to an exhaust shop and have a custom piece made, but that would cost the same. So for $10 I grabbed a VL Commodore set from the wrecker and got out the hacksaw!

 

I chopped them into 7 pieces and reorganised the bits. It took a lot of pissing around under the car but they were tacked together and fitted without stress. I figured on taking them to a mate up here with a Mig, then thought I'd just weld the bits where the pipes were close with the stick welder.... then thought.. "might as well keep going..", and the result is ready to be tested for sealing.

 

Not sure how to do that yet, today will be spent chopping up stray pipes to make the rest of the system and working out how to bolt it to the cast flange- The Toyota and the Holden methods are quite different..

post-7544-0-93316400-1451769932_thumb.jpg

  • Replies 250
  • Views 505.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ke70dave
    ke70dave

    Such even dramatic drop in compression almost leads me think about cam timing. You definitely had the cam belt and timing marks all lined up properly? 90 psi is terrible for any engine. 

  • Cheers Scanner- I've got a tremendous lot from the club too, its good to put something back in.

  • altezzaclub
    altezzaclub

    You are right! It's probably an AE90 as my Aunt bought it brand-new in NZ, so it would have been an Australian model. It defininately wasn't 4WD!   I'm sure they are vastly outnumbered by th

Posted Images

Hi Keith thanks for the tour of the toyota central today amazing!!!

 

So you needed these ,guess i was a bit late .but you no where they are.

 

Thanks again Rob

post-6301-0-45339000-1451788642_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Well damm! I never thought of Facebook for buying them. I wondered why there werre none for sale.

 

..and I was two days into making that set when Rob came around and told me about the ones pictured above, so I could've bought those!

 

Anyway, I finished them today, hand-carving some 10mm plate into the last clamp and boxing in the heat shield. When I've done the rest of the exhaust I'll pull it all out for testing and final assembly.

post-7544-0-09720400-1451903859_thumb.jpg

 

Next was fuel tank out and a look at replacing the 6mm KE70 feed line under the car with an 8mm one. Seems to be a pain, and as the bit sticking in the tank stays at 6mm, maybe fitting an 8mm line doens't really do much. Anyone suffered fuel starvation from the lines being too small??

post-7544-0-17080200-1451904024_thumb.jpg

 

Oh- the KE70s DO have baffles in the tank! Maybe the surge tank story is not gospel either!

post-7544-0-75371000-1451904102_thumb.jpg

  • 3 weeks later...

Both my 4age and sc14 4agze used stock ke70 fuel lines and an inline walbro 225 and I NEVER experienced fuel starvation issues.

 

Mind you it was never sideways for any major length of time.

 

I've seen a road driven ke70 wagon with a 16 valve and a bosch 070 blow the fuel feed line from the tank, they are only really designed for the carby engine but you may get by if your lucky.

  • Author
I've seen a road driven ke70 wagon with a 16 valve and a bosch 070 blow the fuel feed line from the tank

 

You reckon that was a rubber hose problem?? I'll get high-pressure lines and clamps for them all I reckon.

I'm watching this, have fuel lines on my to do list.

You reckon that was a rubber hose problem?? I'll get high-pressure lines and clamps for them all I reckon.

 

When I say "blow" I was being a bit dramatic it was more of a split, so it leads me to believe

they aren't very strong.

Edited by ms85er

  • Author

I'm sure you're quite right- The original 4K pump sucks from the tank, so less than zero psi, and puts out about 7psi.

 

I don't know what the VL intank pump runs at, but the main pump must run at 50psi or so. You can feel the injection hose is thicker and stiffer.

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

OK, a few weeks in Orange working on a vineyard project (so much for being retired!) and its back up to the Woolshed on Wednesday with new fuel pumps. Steve is due to help his uncle on Thursday so I can get started on The Beast...

 

But no, Facebook intervenes and on Thursday morning he's all "Road trip! Road trip!"

 

We ask the Boss for The Mothershiip, which means going over the brakes and service things, and bolt on the dodgy trailer we were always going to weld up and fix before we used it...

post-7544-0-55733100-1455230370_thumb.jpg

 

Then we headed off into the flatlands past Gunneda

post-7544-0-57385400-1455230487_thumb.jpg

 

..4hours later in a tiny dorp in the middle of somewhere, Steve had discovered a pair of flatfront manuals at a property that looked like a bigger version of his... old cars and utes and vans and tractors and machinery and...

post-7544-0-01814000-1455230621_thumb.jpg

 

So we hauled them home, KE70 numbers 14 and 15 on the farm at the moment! One is slghtly worse than the other for rust, its just coming through under the fuel filler. The good one we will get running and put it through rego.. One owner since new who sold it when in his 70's and the guys we got it from drove it home!

The second one needs a head gasket and we'll either fix that and the rust to sell it, or use it as a spare rally car body. Both are straight and undented, and being country cars they don't have that coastal rust. If you want one let us know.

post-7544-0-16361000-1455230876_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

  • Author
The jap ae86 tank has a roughly 2 litre ice cream container sized pot thing around where the fuel is picked up from.

 

Is that all internal? Does the tank look the same on the bottom from the outside?

 

I'm tempted to weld an extension on one side at bottom level or just below, but that KE70 tank gets so full of dents and knocks already..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.