Rounded Nuts Removing Exhaust Pipe From Manifold

Kimby

Working to replace head gasket on 1991 Rolla 4afe ae92 engine with carby. Removing rusty nuts connecting exhaust pipe to manifold. Penetrating oil was working; nut 75% off, but is now rounded and socket won't grip. Space restricted and too far in for vise-type grips (sorry, we're Yanks and forgot the proper Australian word for these). Any suggestions for removing the nut, preferably without damaging the bolt, using tools available in the Sydney area?

Thanks,

James & Kimby

Members dont see this ad
Working to replace head gasket on 1991 Rolla 4afe ae92 engine with carby. Removing rusty nuts connecting exhaust pipe to manifold. Penetrating oil was working; nut 75% off, but is now rounded and socket won't grip. Space restricted and too far in for vise-type grips (sorry, we're Yanks and forgot the proper Australian word for these). Any suggestions for removing the nut, preferably without damaging the bolt, using tools available in the Sydney area?

Thanks,

James & Kimby

are they copper nuts? if so, break them buy hitting them with a flat chisel. works a treat!

or smash a socket on it then undo it!

Edited by Evan G

or smash a socket on it then undo it!

haha! you're my sort of mechanic!! An imperial socket might just jam on there...

How about a small plumber's wrench, the sort that lock up on pipes when you put force on them. I have one 6" long, but they probably come smaller. ..or smaller vicegrips?

Kimby I was wondering how that project was going.. You should invite anyone on here to come around for a beer and give a hand, there is a lot of expertise in Sydney. I'm a bit far away unfortunately.

How about a small plumber's wrench, the sort that lock up on pipes when you put force on them. I have one 6" long, but they probably come smaller. ..or smaller vicegrips?

The ones your thinking about are usually called Steelsons or pipe wrench

post-5493-1278760658.jpg

The Irwin Product is called Bolt-Grip Sockets.

There is a base 5-piece set and then a 5-piece expansion set.

Clicky Here!

OT but have you seen multi fit sockets at all yet?

They were on TV years ago and are a large socket with heaps of push in splines on the inside, basically when you put it on the bolt/nut it pushes the splines up where the top of the head is and the rest fit snugly around the outside of the head, It is just like one of them 3d pin art things.

I cannot find them at all.

OT but have you seen multi fit sockets at all yet?

They were on TV years ago and are a large socket with heaps of push in splines on the inside, basically when you put it on the bolt/nut it pushes the splines up where the top of the head is and the rest fit snugly around the outside of the head, It is just like one of them 3d pin art things.

I cannot find them at all.

GATOR GRIP

Single hex sockets all the way. Double hex sockets can be handy at times, but are notorious for rounding off nuts/bolt heads.

Metrinch are supposedly good, put all the stress on the flats of the nuts/bolt heads and not the corners.

Single hex sockets all the way. Double hex sockets can be handy at times, but are notorious for rounding off nuts/bolt heads.

Amen. Deep single hex sockets work well with exhaust nuts that are on long studs.

Kincrome "Lok-on" sockets

http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/s...artnumber=K2042

The LOK-ON sockets are the ideal companion for removing rounded fasteners. Kincrome ‘LOK-ON’ sockets drive the side of the fastener using a unique subtle cam found in the 6 point socket design. This unique design not only provides increased strength but also avoids the rounding of rusted and damaged fasteners. The cam design also enables the user to effectively loosen fasteners which have rounded by up to 85%.

http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/media/media...s=1&AID=401

The only bitch i have with them is that you have to buy them as a set at the moment

But all in all this things are frigging amazing. We have a demo set at work and even the metrich socket just went around the nut where as the Lok-on held.