New Payout For Drift Wannabes?

Medicine_Man

no, nick's right. look at old b&w footage of any major car races. oversteer has always existed, it just took some clever marketing to turn it into the main focus of its own competitive sport. that part of it did indeed originate in japan. D1GP isn't even that old, it started whilst S14s were the new new model

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<angst>

i just hate the whole "omg it's the fukkin best thing out man, an my fkn s13/14/ae86 roolz j00 evn tho it's standard moite.. fuk you pussy cnt.. LAWLZ" plus the fact that it's quite a decent model corolla, of which i've loved the shape before i knew what drift was, now commands completely f@$ked up prices, and then they're all getting trashed to shit because these cockheads think they're god's gift to the road and "motorsport"

</angst>

*rocks quietly humming in the corner* :P

This is only my personal opinion, but Drifting bores the crap out of me. I can't stand the culture of it. Not to mention all those but ugly, sticker clad rice burners. Anyone can chuck a car sideways, but not everyone can pump out consistantly perfect lap after lap on a race track.

I would even put drifing on even terms with my views on Drag Racing. (excluding legal meets at Calder with road registered cars).

For true entertainment and test of skill, Rallying is my pick. ARC drivers like Cody Crocker, Neal Bates, Simon Evans etc drive at 200km/h within meters of trees and poles. Now thats exciting viewable entertainment. :P

Edited by kangaroosa

For what it's worth, I've been to 2 drift meets, and needless to say, they are boring. Being here in Adelaide, i've only attended Malalla Raceway for both of the meets. i'm yet to go to a Club PSI event at Adelaide International Raceway.

BUT

I find that watching Video Option DVD's or Hot Version DVD's of people who can "actually" drift is more exciting than going out to these meets?

Why?

Unfortunately, Australia is pretty new to the sport, same as America. Compare our drivers to American drivers - they're practically even. Compare them to a D1 driver who has been drifting the mountains since they were 14-15 and there is no contest.

It's much bigger in Japan and until these f@$kwits who think that the sun shines out their arses cos they can "drift" wake up and realise that they actually arent gods gift to making their car slide and pull together as a community and not outcast themselves, Australians and Americans won't progress any faster and actually become as well known as the D1GP drivers are.

I can name one person who drives/drifts an AE86 in Aus who would fit that bill and he comes across as an arrogant prick too. He also enters the competitions.

Mick

Edited by AE35

Unfortunately, Australia is pretty new to the sport, same as America. Compare our drivers to American drivers - they're practically even. Compare them to a D1 driver who has been drifting the mountains since they were 14-15 and there is no contest.

It's much bigger in Japan and until these f@$kwits who think that the sun shines out their arses cos they can "drift" wake up and realise that they actually arent gods gift to making their car slide and pull together as a community and not outcast themselves, Australians and Americans won't progress any faster and actually become as well known as the D1GP drivers are.

exactly why i want to go to japan.

i totally agree that compared to the japanese events, the australian events are pretty boring, mostly because of the average venues.

and who might that be?

it couldnt be you, you drive an MX83 :P

i only know of shane bingham (white 86), beau yates (silver 4agte 86) i think he drives a wrx now, simon michelmore (black ca18 86), leighton fine (yellow 4agze) and some other guy who drives a brown one, that enter the comps.

i only know of shane bingham (white 86), beau yates (silver 4agte 86) i think he drives a wrx now, simon michelmore (black ca18 86), leighton fine (yellow 4agze) and some other guy who drives a brown one, that enter the comps.

Its not a black CA18 86 anymore, but yes, Simon. Well, thats how he comes across to me anyway after chattin to him a few times. He's now got a Powder Blue 20V AE86 thats supposedly looking more (jap-spec) than his other rides.

Check out memebers rides on toymods for it.

If I were to build a drift car, I know I'd put some individuality into it and not try to copy something thats already been done to death.

And no Mumblezz, not you :P

Edited by Ruts

Some people like drift, some like rally, some like a certain type of grip sport be it V8s, F1 or indy. i Like everything except motorbike raceing...

I agree that there is some wankers in drift, as there is in any other sport, and of course australian drift is shit compared to japan and such. they have been doing it for years.. Do u think when V8 supercars started out in 1960 that they had to skill they do know? No. Give drifting 10 years and we will sure as hell have some better drivers.

Some people like drift, some like rally, some like a certain type of grip sport be it V8s, F1 or indy. i Like everything except motorbike raceing...

I agree that there is some wankers in drift, as there is in any other sport, and of course australian drift is shit compared to japan and such. they have been doing it for years.. Do u think when V8 supercars started out in 1960 that they had to skill they do know? No. Give drifting 10 years and we will sure as hell have some better drivers.

I agree with the each to there own theory, far be it to slag off anyone for there personal motorsporting preference. Far from it. If you're out there and competing in anything, be it drift, drag, rally etc, it's all good.

The point that I think I'm trying to make is that this area of the sport seems to attract a large portion of ..... fans? that are full of piss and wind. ("....As a Mistral employee once told me, you're only as good as your fans..."") I'm an open minded person wh wil talk to anyone about anything with four wheels, but I hate being told I'm doing it all wrong.....

FWIW Touring car racing in the 60's produced some fabulous drivers, many of whom are now legends of the sport. Top level racing will always attract top level drivers, whether it's new or not.

hmm drifting....

yes it attracts an unusual amount of wannabes, wankers, tossers and tryhards who think drifting is the fastest way around a race track. iv had several people tell me drifting is faster, and the only reason racers don't drift is cause a: they don't have the skill and b: its banned cause its considered blocking

that typical of the b/s drifters talk in my experience.

also imo its not motorsport. motorsport is a race against time. drifting is judged, like a flower show or dance contest. so its a competition, not a sport.

i just don't get the attration, watching a coupla guys slide around a track... give me some racing!!!

thats my thoughts anyway.

They should incorporate both od the two. A drift "race". sliding around a track in the fatest possible time against a whole group of cars.

would make for some interesting spectating when someone misjudges a corner and spins out while everyone else is sliding through after them. :P