5k Engine Transplant

Xany

haha yay, its not the head, just the tappet cover gasket split and leaking out. man this engine has alot of crankcase pressure. i need to fit another breather hose. my mate had the idea of putting an oil/air separator can off the sump. maybe my ring gaps aren't lined up as well as they could be, shrug? at least i have a head that's torqued down to like 60+ ft-lb now :D

i need to ditch this f@$kin watery 5w synthetic oil too. back to pennzoil straight 30 mineral for me

Members dont see this ad

i know :rolla:

this could spark a discussion on oil. both my engine shop and my mechanic love penrite and swear by it, i personally don't use it, find it wears quicker and doesnt provide as good initial pressure. whatever you use, DON'T PUT GTX2 IN IT! :D

if i was running my motor in again, i'd use running in oil for 250km, a mineral oil for 1000-1500km, then switch to xW/50 synthetic

What's wrong with GTX2? Hmm, maybe that's why Pinky is so rattly. Then again, Pinky currently has some sort of Shell oil in it and it's still as rattly. Same as when I had that Penrite stuff in it... No matter what oil I use Pinky is still rattly :D

gtx2 is probably the worst oil available. i'd sooner use $6 kmart oil than gtx2

the rattling noise in your 4k (well, one of them) is probably the timing chain wearing through the timing cover. K motors are generally rattly, as are all old motors. spark, tappets, etc

How did you come to this conclusion (about GTX2)?

If GTX2 is so bad, what's GTX3 like? That's what I used to run my GSR on, and what's currently in Hal (el-cheapo oil until I know for certain I don't have any leaks and don't need to drop the oil for some silly reason)

gday.....i think its time for another update.....

the engine is now complete minus the carby which is getting overhauled tomorrow and friday.....will be back on friday hopefully...i used the solid lifters and hunted around for dastun (evil word) a12 i think they were, pushrods....i found them at All Jap Auto Parts......and got about 25 of them.....hehehehe......just in case i bend some.....:D...

noyzworks at lawnton will be doing the exhaust (mandrel bent extractors and replacing the muffler with something more substancial)...

so the engine is ready to go in.....i got my daikin high performance clutch on friday last week....so this saturday it will all come together hopefully... :)

gday peoples.....

the engine is now sitting firmly in my engine bay and ready to be started....still gotta do some sutff before it goes out on the road......but Fark its loud......doesnt sound anything like nicks car though.....as in no BRAP BRAP BRAP......it's more along the lines of BLOP,......blop blop,..........blop blop blop.....BLOP....

hahaha.....anyway you guys will see it soon enough.....gettting my mandrel bent extractors fitted on tuesday.....:D

PICCYS!!!!!

almost_there.jpg

Enginein.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Gday peoples......

the last few weeks have seen The Mighty 5K dropped into my engine bay and started. i wasnt in the mood to post the results up after doing the engine conversion mainly because my car bit me on the arse and started to chaff out blue smoke.....

which made me mighty pissed off cause a new engine shouldn't be doing that....but its settled in and stopped smoking at idle and most of the time, which makes me think its the shit oil we used first up.....it should be fixed with some penrite oil....

i am pleased to say that this engine absolutely hammers.....:D.....however i still need to get it on a dyno to adjust the jets in the carby.....it aint running right down low.....so thats it for a while in the engine bay....next project is the tinted windows, upgrading stereo.....that should keep the bank balance at bay....:)

the future plans will include the word "supercharger" but not for a while yet....hehehehehe

Big thread this took a while too read through it all,interesting the valve sizes listed by superjamie not the same size as any k series engine i have ever pulled to bits but maybe i can't read my calipers :).

Desktop dyno yes you wont get anywhere near the power figures that that program will spit out at you.

5ks have two different size lifter diameters depending on which model of 5k engine it is.

T series bellhousings to k-series engines,while most a hydraulic as suggested there is a cable operated clutch bellhousing available and gearbox to suit that will bolt straight into the ke30 type floorpan.

Supercharged 5ks yeah they go alright beat a full on n/a motor anyday :S