Herbert The Panel Van

iwontarolla

Members dont see this ad

Fair few tassie guys are running cut and welded guards, lloyd included. Haven't got a photo but i can grab one next round if you want.

Just basically cut along the top crease and pulled apart at the back with flat bar welded underneath and then filled.

Can sorta see on this photo of lloyds

post-9662-0-91756700-1328248397_thumb.jpg

thanks guys seen it done before but never seen actual pictures of the guard done like ryans. it seems like he has done his so that there is no gap in front of the door and that what i would go for if i did it this way. I'm not going to get much time this weekend to work on it so keep the ideas and thoughts coming. I'm thinking i should go get a old dodgy panel and cut that up before i cut mine up to much.

cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

so i started guards tonight went pretty well i think. let the pictures tell the story, think it looks alot better then the other one i did. still alot to do but you guys will get the idea.

c63ba9cd.jpg

tacked some fencing wire on after they where even all the way around

f4dc81a8.jpg

then cut and filled this photo doesnt really show it that well but it is pretty much spot on wiht the right curves in it. ill do the hole guard how it is at the moment then weld it all together.

• 4 weeks later...

Been on work experience lately so haven't had much time to work on this but almost got one guard down. Got a lot of free time soon so hopefully get all of it done in the next couple of weeks. Been learning tig welding lately so I'm going to make up a stainless steel washer bottle and overflow bottle. Just got so many little jobs to do to get it on the road.

Holy smokes. That is huge flare. I dig it.

Are you using a tig on the guards? You'll be better off if you do, MIG welds are generally much harder and will take a lot more finishing. Also, just continuously tack weld rather than run full welds, it will reduce heat distortion.

Looking forward to seeing the end result, although you will need to run huge offset to fill the guards, or it will look dicky.

And if you do a good job with that overflow bottle, wanna talk about making one for me? Another project I have on my list that I never get around to...

Edited by philbey

• 2 weeks later...

I would use the tig but cost heaps in gas, I'm just using a gasless mig i got for my car. I do the tack tack tack welding style weld about and inch then move to the other side of the guard never gets to hot. Then i just dolly work it a bit, i have done one so far. Been out of action for a bit going to work on it non stop to get guards done. Do have one issue of diff not being centered every thing seems straight but yea ding my head in.

Yea I'm starting to do the over flow probably next week so if you have any ideas or any input would be good. If it turns out good defiantly consider making you one or any one else who wants one.

I'm going to put a relay on the starter motor soon as i can't start the car any more. I'll get some pictures of the guard on the front. Also started making some mounts for my chrome bar, unsure if making them to strong is bad. I can stand on it so far and it doesn't bend.

7dfe5f98.jpg

fe0862a0.jpg

start of the mounts 5mm x 40mm flat bar

8c887022.jpg

b0e2c631.jpg

hmmmmmm 7k any one? hopefully dad can't sell it

thanks guys got to update this more often.