Ballast Resistor

coonaPWR

Members dont see this ad

Details would be good.

I mean, if it's a regular points distributor running the stock coil on a stock engine then yes, it is NOT a good idea to remove it or you will burn your points out.

However i do not run one, as i have an electronic distributor and a gt40 coil suited to use without a resistor.

so yeah...

i'd leave it aye.

Its basically a 6Volt coil designed to run with that resistor, so it gets fed 6V when driving. On the cranking part of the ignition the resistor gets bypassed, so full voltage goes straight to the coil. However with the starter grinding away the voltage drop only gives it 6 or 9volts anyway.

That way you have 100% of your coil working to start the car, rather than a 12V coil trying to spark with only 9volts.

Running it without the resistor will give you a fatter spark as it gets fed a higher voltage, but I figure it won't last as long. Probably give your points a hard time too.

spend some money on reconditioning a dizzy and buy a HDI kit for it if you want big reliable spark.

don't waste the money though if you don't have any other mods to your motor to benefit from the extra spark though...

The GT40r should run a resistor. The first thing to go will be your leads if you take it out. Otherwise run a Hot Spark.

cheers everyone! another thing... i made one of those "homemade limiters" with the relay and the shift light. and it worked sweet for about 5mins the popped the ballast resistor.. blew it like a fuse :S could i have wired the limiter wrong? or just a bad luck that it popped the same time i get a limiter lol.

That Hot-Spark system only seems to work with Nippondenso points distributors, I thought all the Nippondenso distributors in Australian corollas were electronic and that the Bosch distributors were points?

Is there any advantage of the Hot-Spark system over a normal electronic distributor, or are they basically the same technology?

Edited by rianwest