The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Drove it to the tuner today on the other side of town. I ʞ©$ɟing love it!

Pulls so hard on the highway, its insane. I only revved it to 4000revs too. Still got a third to give!

Ill collect it in a couple of days and take it in for a wheel alignment and some suspension tuning.

brakes worked fine but weren't as effective as they could be, just need bedding in and adjustment I think.

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres the dyno sheet. Finally!

post-2885-0-87572400-1442307770_thumb.jpg

I had them tune with the shorter and the longer trumpets. The better power came with the longer ones. You can see the power was better almost everywhere on the green run with the 96mm trumpets. Tuner recommends trying longer ones again.

Drove it home and had a bit of fun with it. Seems well tuned, I believe it needs transient enrichment so I will add that, but its pretty good for having had none added yet. Heavy traffic was a bit of a bummer but I can assure you all the diff locks both sides smoothly without any fuss. Unintended wheel spin is always a good start. :clover: :oops:

The tuner said it behaved well and didn't let him down in any way on the dyno so that's a good thing.

I think a couple of finer points to sort out with the tuning and then it might make around 115kw max before I go to 11:1. Its about 144hp atw as it stands, but the real test is the 1/4 mile so I will be there this Saturday to smash as many Fords, Holdens and Nissans as possible.

Badly needs:

Drum adjustment

Wheel alignment

Bonnet Pins

Hatch pins

New fanbelt as its died on the dyno, and its only a 5 rib on a 6 rib system. Squeals!

Sound deadening.

Lift pump insulation or possibly relocation to shut it up.

Miles put on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Tuner was very smart but in hindsight maybe too ʞ©$ɟing smart. I felt like he was playing games with me a bit. Said a few odd things along the way, and looking at the afrs and the torque he has basically killed the top end of the power curve and manufactured a loss in power just so I will come back and spend more money. He clearly doesn't know how to read the room, because I wont go back for more BS, thats so not me. I wish he would have just tuned it to the full extent of its power as up top its 11.8:1 by his afrs and not that stable so there might be 10kw left in it or more I reckon. It wasn't cheap in the first place so I don't think Ill go back. Safe is one thing, rich is another. I don't think he even researched the vvti movement much, as when I asked about it he changed the subject. ʞ©$ɟ!

He said something like, Oh I could spend more time on it but I know you want it back, and I've left the top end safe for you to muck around with. You just do what you want to do and if you get off track bring it back and Ill fix it for you ($$). It went against my instructions which was to make full power tuning accurate and then do 3/4, half and 1/4 load and then Ill fill in the rest. He said his work on a tune like this would be 3000 bucks normally. Normally I'd tell someone to ʞ©$ɟ off if that's what they cost and didn't kick goals. If you have my car for three weeks you ʞ©$ɟing well better give it back to me well tuned within the parameters I defined. I'm more than likely going to find Rob Novak and get him to do the full power tune (in about 1 hours time while I wait) and then Ill drive tune when required. I don't need ʞ©$ɟing games after all this time.

Goes in Friday for a wheel alignment, brake adjust and general look over at the mechanics. He knows the tuner guy well and recommended him too so I think Ill talk to him about the BS and see what he reckons.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

This is a really awesome build and am glad to have stumbled on it. Hope you don't get screwed around so badly with the next tune, that guy does sound like he's trying to rob you for whatever he can, not returning to him sounds like a good action to me. How is the 2az-fe, good platform engine for older toyotas?

• Upvote 1

This is a really awesome build and am glad to have stumbled on it. Hope you don't get screwed around so badly with the next tune, that guy does sound like he's trying to rob you for whatever he can, not returning to him sounds like a good action to me. How is the 2az-fe, good platform engine for older toyotas?

To drive with its a sick motor. Its got a lot of torque everywhere. Its an impressive thing. It will spin the tyres with little effort even down in the rpm. However, Its hard to recommend with all the custom work required. Making a manifold, mounts, tailshaft, diff, and a custom clutch system will put most people off. Not to mention carving a big hole in the block for the starter. I guess I've done all the research though and would help any copy cats that want something similar. Hell if some rich person wants one built Id do it for a price, but rich people spend their money on old fords and Holdens and other European cars usually.

The real test will be the long term. How it goes and what it beats. I'm off to start that research this Friday night at Willowbank if anyone wants to race it.

I rarely hear good stories about tuners from people that know what they are talking about.

How much is dyno Matt and will it fit in your shed?

Don't get me wrong. The tuner was a very smart guy and he knows his stuff and he did offer some good help. If I didn't feel helped he would not have gotten paid, but I feel like he could and should have done more and was getting a bit funny about the money vs time/power thing. He did offer the use of the dyno if required. I should go and use it to retune the top end while he watches. That seemed a bit silly to me as he had the vehicle for three weeks, had clear parameters and did it when he had time, which is a pretty good way to do something and keep the cost down. I feel like my patience and trust wasn't rewarded I guess and it wasn't cheap, so yes I will get away from him.

Id love my own dyno but I don't know how to use one, so it would be a big pain to own quite frankly. Brad suggested the same thingonce around the time he needed dyno tuning time.

Worked towards refinement today. Took the day off and went to the mechanics place, he was able to order me a 7 rib idler and a belt to suit from Bursons, that will make the belt system as intended. I was at least able to shut up the squeak by playing with the pulley alignment before leaving home.

Also adjusted the back brakes and they are sweet now and the pedal is awesome, but I still found them noisy so I went to the brake shop and my mate Shauny Vidler machined back the drums so they wont rub on the old backing plates. Jobs a goodun. Now the only things making undue noise are the hatch that needs the latch adjusted and the rear arches scrubbing the rims. I'm getting used to the fuel pump ticking away.

Drives great but could be so much better with a better tune. I'm going to have a discussion with the tuner. I don't expect to be taking it back there and leaving it with him again, but he needs the feedback about his not so great work. Quite frankly he needs to listen. I'm most a annoyed that he didn't satisfy any of my criteria, and whined about the cost needing to be higher, when he is already the dearest around and he had the car in front of him and the logs and laptop open in front of him when he quoted it. I'm going to find it hard to remain calm.

20150918_115715_zps4q1mekre.jpg

20150918_115654_zpsnzrsmttt.jpg

Edited by LittleRedSpirit