Toyoglide Derelicte (Ke10 Drift Car)

CanadianKE17

Seeing as this forum seems to have the highest concentration of KE10s on the internet, I figure I should throw mine in for good measure!

The story starts when I drag this KE10 from the bushes in my hometown, paying about $200 to get it to my house.

My initial observations: The car has been hit in the front and back with a lot of flaking bondo as evidence. The entire interior is halfway converted to dirt. Not a single mechanical or electrical component is working or even looks serviceable. The only upside is that the shell is structurally solid if not straight, and it has some extremely awesome patina. To the parts pile!

My initial plan was to leave it stock and patina'd and slam it, just to make it a nasty cruiser. Then the drifting bug bit me, and I got a little more ambitious.

img2935res.jpg

img3029n.jpg

img3031z.jpg

img3035q.jpg

img3063ek.jpg

The nice KE17 shown above was rear ended shortly after that photo, so I decided to borrow the running gear for the KE10 while I repaired the damage and performed complete a bodyshell restoration.

The mechanical rundown:

Motor:

3TC (2tc block, early pre EGR 2tc head, 3tc internals)

Fidanza Al flywheel

Mikuni 40mm from a 2TG on a mikuni manifold

fresh rebuild 0.5mm over

TE27 SR5 T50 trans (has a different tail housing that keeps the shifter further forward)

AE86 short stroked front struts/brakes with T3/Ground Control stuff. 6kg springs, koni yellows

TE2x crossmember and steering box

lengthened TE2x control arms

17 or 18mm sway bar (again from a te27 sr5 I believe)

TE2x rear end with 6.38 diff, TRD LSD and welded diffs, both 3.9 ratio

Modified rear leaves: Thicker main leaf, reversed eyes and de-arched flat.

Crappy KYB rear shocks :(

Swap in progress:

cimg0030i.jpg

cimg0025bb.jpg

cimg0027bp.jpg

I scored some free corbeau seats off a friend, mostly because they were hideous colors that nobody else wanted.

A concept sketch:

cimg0022m.jpg

And it all pays off, here it is at it's first drift day!

5692873136c621060e03b.jpg

5692303853ec4b056083b.jpg

569226545746eed4f236b.jpg

56922650773556a9fda4b.jpg

Now, the pictures are cool n all, but in truth I was spinning out like mad. The car is so light and short, with a front heavy bias, and a slowww steering box. I let some friends try it out, even those with more experience had their hands full. Of course, this first post only covers stuff up to about april 2011, so there is much more to come, in this epic saga of trying to get a KE10 to drift acceptably. Stay tuned!!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

North America doesn't really "do" k series motors :) There are no aftermarket parts, nor racing series using them. We only got a few 3kcs and 4kcs, and with our steering box and brake master both on the same side as intake/exhaust, it makes them a real pain to deal with. 90% of Corollas here from 1970 to 1982 came with a 2tc or a 3tc. Unfortunately, we didn't get any 2tg or 3tgte cars either.