Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^Thats one friggin big snail haha

Yeah I mean I support the idea entirely, its a great motor because of the aftermarket support

but if you are chasing hp on the higher side of things but you will have to upgrade the drivetrain.

W55 is what you want with an early g series bellhousing to mate it to the t series block and then

something like a r31 diff, custom tailshaft and bigger brakes on the front etc.

Also ke25's are limited to around 1.8L forced induction and so its a ca18det or a 3tc turbo! :P

Absolutely agree with you there. Driveline will cop a hammering so lots of components will need to be upgraded.

W55 is about the only good options I am aware of for trans, however diff & tailshaft are limitless as are brakes,

struts etc.. Pedal box etc.. will also need replacing so there are a swag of things to do. First things first I need

to try and find an uber cheap T18.

Agius - Looks awesome dude. The 3TC just looks so at home in the engine bay doesn't it? Any ideas on current

hp figures and any future plans for it?

Agius - Looks awesome dude. The 3TC just looks so at home in the engine bay doesn't it? Any ideas on current

hp figures and any future plans for it?

no idea yet when i get my msd 6al and electronic dizzy repaired I'm taking it for a tune and ill see how much she cracks

future plans would be to build another n/a one again but with a bigger cam, high comp pistons, and heavy head work..

but all in time bloke, i enjoy her heaps how she is at the moment

but anyway every one each to there own theres heaps of great engines out there big and small

You will need a t series crossmember out of a t engined 20 series rolla, straight bolt in affair.

They are more avaliable in japan than the states I found as I have tried both markets.

Mounts are from an early t engined car, later t series mounts are different but you can check

on a catalogue kelpro etc

The 3TC is a good choice if you want the old school looks and character.

I've got a stock 3TC in my KE30, with 32/36 weber, extractors and 2" exhaust, and it goes well. Good torque for driving around town, it gets up and moves pretty easily compared to a 4K/5K. With the 1.8L capacity it suits well to the weight of a KE3X. In a KE25 I could imagine it would go even better. Got the benefit of the 5 speed T50 gearbox, which is stronger and more easily found than a KE55 K50. The capacity can be increased to 2L with 89mm pistons. Could increase it more with a 4Y crank.

3TC motors are not really that common in Australia. Only came out in T18 corollas, and maybe as an import replacement engine (13T) for the TA22. Second hand parts are starting to get a bit hard to find at wrecking yards, so have to be source online or privately. Can still get usual parts like gaskets/seals/water pump etc. at Bursons or Repco. For performance parts you can get them from the USA, such as Euro Export:

http://www.euroexportinc.com/

Parts such as an adjustable timing gear, roller rockers etc. The head is of a hemi design, so performance modification principals could be taken from US hemi or nascar hemi engines.

There is a limitation to the amount the 2T/3T head can flow. Generally 200 cfm @ 28" of H2O is achievable with porting work. The restriction is the pushrod holes on either side of the inlet port, not allowing it to be taken out wider. Also, there are holes underneath the floor of the port; a coolant hole and empty casting space. It would be better off to use a 2TG head, which could flow 230+ cfm with porting work and bigger valves. If you want to keep the 2T/3T head for the novelty and make it flow more, the trick is to weld the holes underneath the inlet port to allow for a larger port.

Edited by bruce

I dropped a 3tc in my ke30 , was very little improvement over the 4k to be honest, was quite dissapointed at the time.

So don't expect much to start with.

The design of the chamber and piston on the 3tc head is pretty bad design for na power, but is very suitable for turbo with the right pistons.

Hi Bruce, thanks for all the. Very useful. Would there be any additional advantage over running the 3TC block as opposed to the 2TG. ie: is it lighter etc.

How easily does to the 2TG head bolt up to the 3TC block?

An advantage could be that the 3T crank is already in there, instead of swapping it over to the 2T block. I'm not sure if the 2TG block is lighter, I think they are almost the same. Both have the same 85mm bore, just the 3T has the longer stroke.

The 2TG head bolts straight onto the 3TC block. If using the stock 3TC pistons might need to cut the valve reliefs more to stop the valves hitting the pistons. Other things required is to swap over the timing gear, e.g. dummy cam, timing cover, chain etc., so would be easier to have a complete 2TG to source parts from.

• 3 months later...

Well after much deliberating and searching I have managed to locate and purchase a 3T crossmember and mounts from Modify in NZ. Should be here in a week or so!! Now the time to decide on whether I build an engine at great expense or buy one prebuilt from the States. BRD quoted approx $5500 for a 200hp na 3TC but this did not include shipping. Very reasonable price as I am sure with all the machining work involved, I could not build one for that price. The 2nd option is to buy a used engine from the States. With all the work being done and all the good bits fitted, but taking a chance on the overall condition of the engine.

Decisions, decisions.............

I replied to you QLD reg post,

Just check the pollution rules for the 3tc engine.

If you use a 2tc block you can get around this issuse,if not i think you need

to use the pollution gear that is apropriate for the engine you wish to use.

If you wish to go turbo the easy way is to use manifolds from a 3tgte engine

with a c18det spec turbo and a ecu of your choice.

this would be legal in Qld .

Cheers Ian.

no 3tgte intake will not bolt up, exhaust will. get your hands on a 3tgte turbo manifold and a ct26 or 20b?!???,.... can be diegrinded out to fit

ignore pollution gear cops wont recognise it all anyway, just attach carbon canister or required cat etc... just talk to nme308 on toymods about turboing a 3tc and have a ball. he ended up running 11s before the bottom end gave up due to big psi, very reliable setup but