Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

Featured Replies

I promised myself that I wouldn't spend more time & money than I had to on my AE80 hatch. Known as Blue Thing, she was intended to get me from A to B while my Twin Cam build was going on. Long story short, things have changed a fair bit & while updates regarding BT were included in my Project Car thread, I think it's hit the point where it needs it's own.

 

post-5437-0-04235000-1340619839_thumb.jpg

 

At the Picnic at Hanging Rock Car Show in mid-February.

 

post-5437-0-30725700-1362459683_thumb.jpg

 

For a bit of information & back-story, click these links:

 

Page 1 Page 14 Page 16 Page 19 Page 26 Page 29

 

In a nutshell, this car was as base model as you can get. Whenever anything breaks/wears out, they are replaced with Twin Cam parts, meaning instant upgrade for minimal cost.

 

Recently through the TCCAV, the opportunity to have a go at a CHEAP form of competitive motor-sport came about. Small problem, no race-car. Bugger it, do it in the daily.

 

Practicing Racing Going Racing

 

So, now Blue Thing can stop invading Gokai's thread & I'll keep all future updates posted here. Plans are already in motion for some fun times ahead. :jamie:

Edited by carbonboy

  • Replies 539
  • Views 393.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • EDIT: No furry woodland creatures were harmed in the making of these videos...

  • haha fixed!!

  • The moment of truth.     The sound.....oh my.....the sound!     I don't think I could be much happier with the outcome today, A ) it didn't blow up & B ) she's running healthy. Air:fu

Posted Images

  • Author

:blush:

 

I know, why couldn't it just be the daily that I don't hate enough to send to scrap?!? Oh well, we'll see how this goes.

hope these said plans eventuate ;)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I reckon i could easily get a pov spec one to be quicker than my car for less money than I've spent on mine :P

 

Challenge accepted. ;)

 

hope these said plans eventuate ;)

 

They will, helped in no small way by yourself, I really appreciate everything mate! :yes:

 

Speaking of plans, I suppose I should elaborate on these a little.... I will, in time. :P

 

But for starters, I'n no fan of the factory-fitted Aisan carburetor. I'd been looking around at the usual Weber 32/36, dual-side-draughts etc, then these came up. Quad Keihin's should get BT making a nicer noise methinks.

 

post-5437-0-46377200-1363250068_thumb.jpg

 

Cheers to RainWarriorDregs for posting these, more bits to come from other forum members in the very near future. In a way, it's becoming a bit of a community effort, I :y: this.

 

Edit: Friggin' speeling errors...

Edited by carbonboy

Ah! We want a blow by blow account of the Keihins, the problems of fitting and the problems of getting them to run nicely...

 

I'm quite intrigued with the idea of quad bike carbs!

  • Author

should sound the tits :)

 

Hopefully better than she does at the moment, it feels like the ignition timing is retarded as all hell after replacing all the vacuum lines/pollution gear hoses this afternoon. Of which, there's about 4.2 metres worth... :blinks: I knew I should've just blocked it all off except for the distributor advance!

 

Ah! We want a blow by blow account of the Keihins, the problems of fitting and the problems of getting them to run nicely...

 

I'm quite intrigued with the idea of quad bike carbs!

 

They were enough to tempt me from the world of EFI on this one, what can I say? Fitting them to the engine won't be overly difficult, I've managed to get a manifold design sorted. Getting them to run nicely on the other hand.....I plan to lose a bit of sleep over. :laff:

 

But I will post up how I go, complete with any learning points (read: stuff ups) along the way. Feels like my head is about to explode from all the reading/sifting through the myths I've been doing. By the way, cheers for the tip regarding what angle to mount them on in you mentioned in another thread. :y:

Edited by carbonboy

  • Author

This would be a nice line up of sports cars, except for one thing. :hmm:

 

post-5437-0-14256500-1363608697_thumb.jpg

 

Taken at the TCCAV Cars, Coffee & Donuts event held at the Point Cook RAAF Museum on Sunday morning.. We get all kinds. :)

This would be a nice line up of sports cars, except for one thing. :hmm:

 

post-5437-0-14256500-1363608697_thumb.jpg

 

Taken at the TCCAV Cars, Coffee & Donuts event held at the Point Cook RAAF Museum on Sunday morning.. We get all kinds. :)

 

Its the Camry isn't it...

This would be a nice line up of sports cars, except for one thing.

 

Is it that filthy tractor next to the stivo?

Hi Luke

 

I was there at the coffee and donuts as well. I would of say hi if I knew you drive this blue thing!

 

Cheers

 

Mik

 

 

Is it that filthy tractor next to the stivo?

definately is the dirty nissan ;)
  • Author

Its the Camry isn't it...

 

Camry, Aristo, same same? ;) (there was however, a blue SV21 behind me when I took this photo!)

 

Is it that filthy tractor next to the stivo?

 

John Deere's finest, not just any stivo either, one of the one-hundred & something factory turbo models. :)

 

I was there at the coffee and donuts as well. I would of say hi if I knew you drive this blue thing!

 

Glad to hear another rollaclub member made it down there! All good Mik, will try to catch up with you at the next event. Did you have your KE20 there at all? I missed it if so. :(

 

definately is the dirty nissan ;)

 

Bloody Nee-sans, ruining a good Toyota line-up! :P Sports 800, AE80, '86 GT-S, AE112R, S15, ST185-GT4 & a something-something Aristo, with an R32 GT-ST & a few KE70's on the other side of the Aristo.

 

So, this morning I went to leave for work, managed to just get moving when *BANG* *CLUNK* *RATTLE*......F@#K!!! Mr passenger-side drive-shaft decides to call it a day, though considering the abuse it's copped in my hands I'd say it has done well. More photos of the damage once I've pulled the remains out, I have a spare one somewhere here. Finding it is another matter.

 

post-5437-0-32614000-1363678069_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Well, upon inspecting the damage, this is what I found.

 

post-5437-0-99215100-1363690975_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-07893400-1363690998_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-0-87388100-1363691014_thumb.jpg

 

It's a case of: a) I haven't torqued up the nuts/bolts connecting my output shafts to the drive-shafts correctly OR b) they've worked themselves loose over time. Either way, the end result is the same. I have only 2 of the 6 nuts & 2 of the bolts have sheared off, I can rebuild the uni-joint based off bits I have, just need to get 6 new nuts/bolts tomorrow.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.