February 25, 201610 yr Author comment_703254 Thanks Dave - they are indeed Performance Superlites in the seemingly less common / less popular 10 spoke configuration in 15x6 +24 with 205/55/15 tyres. 205 is plenty of tyre and looks wide tucked underneath the rear. But to be fair I'm taking some strategic photos - I think they're a little too positive in offset. I would like them better if they sat out more on the rear, and they sit quite close to the strut. My 13" staggered Jovites would be a much better fit. But the Performance wheels do look cleaner. I just might use both sets! Starting to get dusty while I procrastinate. Paint has been on a couple months now so I should have a go at buffing it soon. Report
February 26, 201610 yr comment_703267 I've got some 27mm bolt on spacers for sale if you want to get them out a bit more! Report
February 26, 201610 yr comment_703274 Those wheels were the original performance superlites before they changed moulds to look more like minilites. I too know the horrendous pain of not knowing whether wheels would fit with struts. Pic on last page of my tread. Although you don't need nuch space if the tyres stay well inflated :-D Have ypu cut the original guards out from behind the flares? Report
February 26, 201610 yr comment_703277 This looks so good. So jelly. I'd trade my 33 for a coupe in a flash. Report
February 26, 201610 yr Author comment_703280 I should experiment with spacers once I get it registered - 27mm! haha Ah I was wondering why there was a difference. I bought them off eBay from a local guy who had them on his 240Z for the princely sum of $241 including useful tyres. The guards remain standard underneath. I won't be setting any stance records! I might black out the guard behind the flare to make it less obvious. The thing I liked about my KE35 in 1989 was that with 225/60/13 tyres and standard height I could run around the dirt tracks out behind Berrimah NT without getting bogged. While I won't be doing that with this car, I like comfort and ground clearance. My mates reckon I'm a boring old fart, drop it on its guts etc. A few comments and interest from my Rollaclub contemporaries beats dirty Facebook likes. Thanks guys. Edited February 26, 201610 yr by Mechanical Sympathy Report
March 28, 201610 yr Author comment_703789 I spent a day with a few rattle cans of vinyl black on the door cards and roof lining, as well as fitting some new carpet and seat covers. By the time I got this far it was time to knock off for the afternoon and sit in the back with an icy Coopers. I have a set of nicely shaped KE50 seats for the front but the runners need a slight massage to accommodate them. Report
April 11, 201610 yr Author comment_703998 Essentially I'm at lock-up stage, with the exterior complete (actually just remembered I'm waiting for a locking strip tool for the windshield). Doors aligned, glass in. Having stripped my Solex carbs for cleaning and found one of the grub screw threads in the body snapped out and filled with Silastic, I've decided to stump the cash for some new 40mm DCOE carbs and linkage in the hope they work out if the box and/or I can have them tuned. I do have some concerns with my engine and gearbox mounts (made/ordered a couple of years ago). I have a full fist (admittedly a small fist) of space between the head and firewall, and the tailshaft does not go fully into the back of the gearbox. I'll have to take some photos and flick them through to Jordan but I almost feel I could slot the holes 15-25mm and shift the whole lot back. I'll take some snaps later this evening to gauge opinions. Report
April 11, 201610 yr Author comment_704011 Haha! I can't believe I didn't check that. I used the tailshaft that I got from a wrecked 2TG converted KE, because it's universal joints were so much better. Evidently it was shortened to suit however they mounted it in the earlier conversion. Report
April 12, 201610 yr comment_704021 pretty sure I still have the engine cross member from that particular car. Report
April 12, 201610 yr Author comment_704030 Haha really? I do remember looking at it at the time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I ran back and forward between cross members comparing them it didn't look very different. I was looking for obvious signs of welding. Coupled with a set of butchered TA22 mounts that were on the long motor, I assumed they'd done the usual crooked/twisted install on a KE crossmember. At that point I approached KE Conversions to make 2T mounts even though nobody was asking for them (cause the Internet declared Celica mounts work bro). He didn't take any convincing though as it was already on his list. I should clarify - I'm very happy with how the motor sits in the bay, just the tailshaft concerned me. One remaining niggle though is the exhaust was made to suit the shorter tailshaft arrangement, and so therefore is straining to sit an inch further forward on its mounts. I might fit some longer mounting rubbers, or when I'm up and running get a flange fitted to the exhaust to make it slightly longer. So I need new uni's! New brake hoses arrived. You only need to burst one, to never trust old ones again! Report
April 18, 201610 yr comment_704145 Yeah at a glance the cross member looks stock, haven't really looked at it too hard. Report
May 7, 201610 yr comment_704461 Hey mate, do you still have the tyre placard on the under side of your boot lid? I want to know what the suggested tyre size is for the factory option alloys was? Report
May 8, 201610 yr Author comment_704468 Ahhhh! I did have, and considered taking/thought I had taken a photo of it when I was prepping the boot. Bugger I really did feel it was worth preserving at the time. Shoulda coulda woulda. I'll see if there's anything in the owner's booklet. Report
May 8, 201610 yr comment_704472 If you could that would be great. The xx being the only corolla with a factory wheel option essentially dictates what anybody with a ke3x/5x can run width wise. Edit - delayed reply. Still would like to see some xx specific info. Edited May 8, 201610 yr by Taz_Rx Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now