Ke70 Engine Conversions

Members dont see this ad

My first engine conversion was a 4agze and I taught myself how to do it off the internet. 'Easiest' is relative to your skill level. Personally I find EFI easier to work with than carbies. Is wiring your thing or is it foreign language. A 5k is by far the easiest, pretty much bolt one in in a day. A 7k would be pretty easy too though the block is slightly wider. They came carbied or with EFI. 2T like Ben said are pretty easy too, get one from a donor T18 and it'll pretty much bolt in. Then therez the 4AC, but if you were going to that much trouble then itd be worth doing a 4AGE instead.

Anything bar a K motor will probably require a hydraulic pedal box.

I was just wondering what engines are the easiest to install into a ke70, It'e be my first time conversion so i don't want an engine that there's more to mess up with.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm surprised 1jz isn't even listed, i figured if its a Toyota motor things would match up/be much easier.

Well that would be less less less less easy. B-Lugg has put it pretty succinctly for you.

• Upvote 1

People only put 1jz in things to go straight line. KE70 suits a 4 cylinder or v6 better if you want to turn corners still.

What v6's would be appropriate?

My first engine conversion was a 4agze and I taught myself how to do it off the internet. 'Easiest' is relative to your skill level. Personally I find EFI easier to work with than carbies. Is wiring your thing or is it foreign language. A 5k is by far the easiest, pretty much bolt one in in a day. A 7k would be pretty easy too though the block is slightly wider. They came carbied or with EFI. 2T like Ben said are pretty easy too, get one from a donor T18 and it'll pretty much bolt in. Then therez the 4AC, but if you were going to that much trouble then itd be worth doing a 4AGE instead.

Anything bar a K motor will probably require a hydraulic pedal box.

I was thinking about getting a t18 lsd so i might just end up getting a donor instead of just that.

Thanks

The engine conversion process can be a little something like this...

Engine size, engine mounts, gearbox size, gearbox mounts, gearstick position, tailshaft adaption, exhuast system, fuel system, radiator inlets/outlets, intake box,

clutch linkage, wiring factory / aftermarket. That gets the motor conversion done.

Then sometimes you need an bigger diff to handle more power and bigger brakes to stop you as well as better suspension to handle going faster around corners.

Theres a guy on here who does a HEAP of work into engine conversion mounts and sells the kits to suit a few different motors into ke rollas, so check that out as well.

Edited by styler

What v6's would be appropriate?

Thanks

Most anything that is fairly compact and rwd with a manual gearbox in north-south configuration from the factory. Pay attention to theback of the motor. Some people have been keen to fit lexus GR v6 engines into the corolla chassis with direct injection, but they cannot manage it due to clearance issues with the di at the firewall. Better off with the Hilux 4gr if you want to go that way. That said, there are many good v6 engines out there now. Plenty of which can be easier to tune than a dual vvti gr v6. It depends if you want to keep it all toyota or make a bastard out of it.

If this is actually your first engine conversion and you don't have much experience with fabrication, id highly suggest something that bolts in, either a 4k efi, a 5k or a 4age (any of the 4age verients, 4agze, 20v, even a 4agte). yes it is "the norm", but they are easily achievable by a backyarder with limited experience.

As mentioned though there are some kits floating around that make lots of engines "bolt in". But generally getting the engine to bolt in is the cheap and easy part. wiring, intecooler hoses, water passages, supension to make it work, brakes to stop it. That's where the time and money adds up.

Have a read of this and write a list.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/64432-how-to-tackle-that-engine-conversion/

If you want to do it easy just modify the 4K, or if you want to keep it period-correct get a 3T or an 18RG, or if you want to moderniise it go 16valve with the 4AGE or pull the motor and 6-speed out of an MX5 and drop the whole lot in.