Blzbubs Aw11

B.L.Z.BUB

It would stop eventually but I ended up unhooking the battery.

Got cracking today.

Gasket comparison, theres no comparison to genuine.

2015-04-09 15.44.23.jpg

Yay!

2015-04-09 15.46.16.jpg

Rocker covers painted right over the OEM stickers.

2015-04-09 17.39.21.jpg

I decided to actually use the timing marks unlike the last guy.

2015-04-09 17.11.31.jpg

Slowly getting there.

2015-04-09 17.53.49.jpg

2015-04-09 19.19.55.jpg

All done, well the engine is done. Still need to bolt on the exhaust, put the radiator and fans back in and clean the pipes out. Went back together pretty easy.

2015-04-09 20.06.39.jpg

2015-04-09 17.45.15.jpg

Members dont see this ad

How is it to work on compared to the ke? I assume its a lot more compact around the engine, it certainly looks it. I'm imagining all the transverse front wheel drive motor/tranny combos that could be shoehorned in, space permitting.

5sfe, 3sge red beams, 2azfe, 2arfe, hell even a blacktop 4a with a 6 speed would be off chops too. Then again, its a tidy car best not to molest it... yet. :scarymovie:

• Upvote 1

I actually hasn't been to bad to work on. I can't get the timing belt tensioner spring on. Well I probably can, might have another crack tomorrow. Supposedly you can pull out the engine bay fan and get access from the side. Apart from that one area everything else is reasonably accessible, the car isn't too wide that reaching into the middle is a chore.

I actually hasn't been to bad to work on. I can't get the timing belt tensioner spring on. Well I probably can, might have another crack tomorrow. Supposedly you can pull out the engine bay fan and get access from the side. Apart from that one area everything else is reasonably accessible, the car isn't too wide that reaching into the middle is a chore.

I recommend to NOT use the tensioner spring... its an accident waiting to happen... It is even worse if you have the belt correctly tensioned.

timingbelttensionspec_zps9ae11ff5.jpg

Once the timing belt is set to the above spec, I've found that the tensioner spring typically is a bit loose on the mounting pin. With vibration the spring can fall off, and shreds the timing belt. If you have the correct belt tension, and the correct torque on the tensioner bearing, the spring is not needed.... kinda like an appendix.

I only just found out its not a backup spring like I thought. I've always set it like the above pic usually by feel. Never had an issue with the GZE doing it that way so I'll keep doing it like that :)

Dave good question, no idea. Assuming manual rack as it feels similar to the ke.