July 16, 201511 yr comment_698719 In my professional life, we spend a lot of time looking at what other people are doing in Australia and overseas, critically evaluating practice (including ours), and looking to improve how we do things. Part of this process is presenting research published in peer reviewed journals in what we call "Journal Club". But professional life is moderately boring, whereas cars are not! I'm fortunate to have built up a good collection of Car mags mainly from 1965 to 1975, plus a smattering of later stuff related to my AE86. For a while now I've been thinking I should post up some interesting articles, so here goes. May not always be Corolla related, but what I've enjoyed. Nice cars, development of ideas (e.g. initial resistance in the motoring media to advent of laminated screens etc.) Hopefully you will enjoy them. Times were different back then, when things such as the advent of the first basic function calculator and digital clocks were amazing advances. And there was no internet. And so to post No.1. Cars and Car Conversions from Oct 1977: TE37 of sorts. It was a moderately developed car with an amazing engine thanks to some well connected contacts. Group 4 cars were allowed substantial freedoms, of which this car had few. For context you need to understand that at this time in English rallying, the Escort made up about 95% of entries in local and national events, so everything is compared to an Escort, and lessons learned on Escorts are applied to other cars. CCC TE37 1.pdf CCC TE37 2.pdf CCC TE37 3.pdf CCC TE37 4.pdf Report
July 16, 201511 yr comment_698726 Thanks Parrot,interesting read. What was the 4 valve engine they talk about?to early for the 4age engine. rob Report
July 16, 201511 yr comment_698728 I've got an old Wheels magazine somewhere that has a roadtest of an Australian delivered evaluation TE37 Levin. I posted a scan once back in the oldcorollas yahoo group - when most people were on dialup. I'll try dig it up. Report
July 16, 201511 yr Author comment_698730 Hi Rob It will be a 151E. Nice to have friends at TTE! Report
July 16, 201511 yr comment_698731 So there's a 151E somewhere in the wild in Aus? edit: no Edited July 16, 201511 yr by Mechanical Sympathy Report
July 17, 201511 yr comment_698736 Nice work parrot! I love all this older gear, works Toyotas and Nissans. I've actually got this article somewhere already. Indeed the picture in my avatar is a 152E powered coupe I *think*. It's really hard to find details! It freaks me out that they are still running stock discs and drums in the car in the article! Report
July 17, 201511 yr comment_698739 It will be a 151E. Nice to have friends at TTE! Yes it would be good invite The boss of TTE to long lunch and come away with engines and gear people would of killed for!!!!!! Interesting about the rear shocks trying to up rite them,why wouldnt you do them same as a escort . Couldnt really follow why it woundnt work. rob Report
July 17, 201511 yr comment_698742 Very cool. Check out how long the trumpets are on the intake! I guess that is an attempt to get more low end torque? Mr parrot we need more! Report
July 17, 201511 yr Author comment_698743 Not in Australia unfortunately. Car and Car Conversions is a British mag. And they note on page 4 that TTE's generosity didn't extend that far. The car was to be sold with a 2TG I assume. But who knows what some people have stashed away in their sheds. Report
July 17, 201511 yr comment_698744 They might have had the paralell 4-link in the way Rob, somewhere down the outside edges of the diff where the shocks would come up through the floor if vertical. ...and they think that car was heavy!!! Report
August 19, 201511 yr Author comment_699445 So following on in a similar vein, but with something a little closer to my heart. It's August 1975, and I can almost smell the pine tree's....... Interestingly, Toyota never initially planned on entering. A young Ari Vatanen's comment on crashing out, "I remembered the bend too late". Ahh Finland! lakes 1.pdf lakes 2.pdf lakes 3.pdf lakes 4.pdf lakes 5.pdf Report
August 19, 201511 yr Author comment_699447 And because too much rallying TE27 is never enough, here is Portugal a month earlier. Worth it at least for the photo on page 2. Portugal 1.pdf portugal 2.pdf portugal 3.pdf portugal 4.pdf portugal 5.pdf portugal 6.pdf Report
August 24, 201511 yr comment_699586 I have somewhere an old Wheels write up for the TE 37 somewhere. Looking a m newly installed bookshelf, I found an intereurope Workshop manual 146 - Toyota Corolla 1100, 1200, 1400, 1600 manual ; A Haynes Toyota Corolla manual for 1967 to 1974 :, A Gregorys Corolla Manual as well. Nothing exciting about that, but I did find a Toyota Motor Sales for Toyota Corolla repair manual KE7_, TE7_ Aug.1979 Chassis, A Green T series Engine Repair manual, Jun 1976 and a chassis/Body books for Corolla and Trueno 30 series. I don't have a scanner as of yet, but if someone needs anything out of them, I can see what I can do. Cheers Morgs Report
August 24, 201511 yr comment_699589 They made mention of a 16 valve "Schnitzer" engine. Was that the 152E? I'm guessing this engine never make it into a Corolla? Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now