K Motors Must Be Worlds Strongest

kickn5k

On the recent rollaclub Great Ocean Road run. I encountered a problem, when i tried to start my 5k powered ke 11 it was like the batt was dead(motor wouldnt turn). Then Cam(mr moparman) suggested we pull the plugs and see if there was any fluid in the pots. Which there was and lots of fuel in there(about 100-200ml) came out of the plugs which was causing a lock. Emptied the pots she turned over a few times then fired.

If i had of done this with a locally produced engine say ford or holden 6cyl or v8, i would have been towing it back from apollo bay to frankston :) would have been pricey, as it would have either bent or broken the conrods and the crank. Gotta say alot for the engineering in these engines.

Just thought it may be a good discussion topic.

stu.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drove my Supercharged 4K about 100 clicks with a blown head gasket that was so bad, that when I roll started it, it spewed the entire contents of the radiator out the exhaust in one huge glug...I then flogged the ass off it all the way to my mates house (due to being pissed off) I even raced him from the lights haha.....then we cleaned the head with a wire brush, threw it back on and away I went.

The things I have done to these poor little K engines, and they just keep comin back for more, is why I will always have a soft spot for the mighty K!!

ROCK ON K ENGINES!!!! :)

The heater core went in my ke70, causing my feet to get wet while driving. The windscreen kept fogging up, and I drove from Bendigo to Melbourne. I had to stop every so often to top up the radiator. While in Melbourne, I ran up the arse of a Falcon ute, so for the drive back to Bendigo I had bits missing and/or bent on the front of the car. Then my mechanic tells me the only damage I've done to the motor is blow a head gasket. And I'm still driving the little bitch around

Edited by philba

when I was a young tacker and didn't know much about cars I drove my rolla round hobart for about a month with a blown head gasket (didn't know that was the problem). Then drove it to Launceston!!!! (about 200km) :) boiled it dry half way, topped it up in oatlands, and kept on driving!! :o

Once I got to Launy, one of my mates worked out what was wrong by: the "mayonaise"under the oil cap, steam porring out the exhaust, exhaust gas bubbles coming out of the header tank, and engine oil that looked like a 50/50 mix of cream and gravy!!! :)

needle to say, the old girl didn't make it back to hobart in that condition........but I reckon if I really had to, then it still would have made it with a million water top ups!!

BTW, I've pumped up 15psi into a standard internal 4k and it still loving 145-150psi of compression in all pots over a year and a half of having boost. oh yeah, I still have the same engine as in the above story. 8S

Why was there lots of fuel in there ?

Personally i think that there could have been a couple of people in the car pressing the pedal. The only reason i say this is because i have driven the car everyday since, without issue.

and everyone on the weekend loved the car and were sitting in it. In saying that I'm not pointing the finger or blaming anyone. I'm just lucky it didnt happen to my tow ute as big sixes and eights usually have big torque starter motors and smash engines in a heartbeat. well i hear about it at least once every two weeks at work.

wow. a motor didnt break because it has a piss weak starter motor....what a glorious motor....

on another note, dad drove his 6 cyl falcon 1996 model into a big puddle, at about 1500 rpm.

filled the motor with water.

towed it home after he coldnt get it to turn over on the starter

i told him the problem, took plugs and turned her over

took manifold off and dried that out.

was fine after an oil change.

guess all I'm saying is a few motors enjoy hydraulic lock without any issues.

and what carby you got on this to have a float level of 1 or 2 hundred mils? thats alot of fuel to get in a cylinder.

for what its worth, a cylinder would probably hydraulic lock at ~40ml

Are they really all that strong?

Standard SR20DET will make ~400whp (200hp per liter)

Worked SR20DET will make 750whp (375hp per liter)

Standard RB26DETT will make ~475whp (183hp per liter)

Worked RB26DETT will make ~1800whp (692hp per liter)

Standard VH45DE(T) will make ~1200hp (266hp per liter)

Worked VH45DE will make ...god only knows, no ones ever been crazy enough to try!!

Standard 2JZ-GTE will make ~800whp (267hp per liter)

Worked 2JZ-GTE will make ~1500whp (500hp per liter)

Standard 5K will make ?? 90whp (60hp per liter)

Worked 5K will make 200whp?? (133hp per liter)

So in reality they're not all that strong at all. They just don't make enough power to have catastrophic failures.

If you want to compare the K motors to anything, then you should compare them to the likes of

Datsun A12's and Mazda 10A rotorys. Not motors that have a good 20 years on them.

I have to say like K motors, the Datsun A12 are another fine example of a motor that you can thrash the piss out of, and the next time you start it, it'll pretend like nothing happened.

Having said that, my 4k would kill any Briggs & Stratton 1 hp motor! :)

Edited by doityourself