Is Rollaclub Losing Its Friendliness?

One of the reasons I like being a part of rollaclub is that there's a general feeling a goodwill that permeates.

I'm worried that the influx of new members (granted - some of whom behave like utter tools) is causing us to lose our general friendliness and to treat them with a "play by our rules or f@$k off" attitude.

I've seen a couple of new members post using poor grammar, SMS speak etc subjected to pretty harsh criticism that seemed (to me) a bit over the top. SMS speak (for example) and trashy grammar are the stock-in-trade of many other newsgroups and often these people just don't know any better.

Additionally, some people just don't communicate too good (although I am much more gooderer than them) and we need to be careful that we don't confuse lack of experience/expertise/communication-skills with wankerishness (new word that you can all feel free to use whenever you like).

I think we need to make sure that we don't become so "up ourselves" that we can no longer be bothered helping the noobs.

comments?

cheers,

Slapper

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree 100%, ive read some threads were new members have been 'overly' attacked by more senior members just because they may of done somehing wrong which initially they didnt know of before or really wasnt 'that' big of a deal to go all teary about etc etc i think 'most' of the rules here are good ones its just the way they are being enforced that i think is a problem, all these "don't do it again or we'll ban you" approaches are definately a turn-off to new members and people thinking of joining surfing the site first before joining

anyway thats my say, disagree if you want

Ill agree, some of us are just far too cool if our responses are anything to go by. Its like a big pissing contest sometimes. Not often but occasionally the mods get involved too, which to me seems very counterproductive. You get a very helpless and frustrated feeling when a moderator is into you and locking you out. It would be more professional if sometimes the mods just locked a thread and deleted it, rather than putting in their opinion, then locking out all the other people from replying, without deleting the thread. You can't stifle other peoples points of view, whether you have mod powers or not. Lets all work together. If you can't say anything constructive you have nothing to say. If you believe a thread is not speaking of matters within the law then it should be deleted. There is no need to weigh into the debate and then lock out all other points of view. Very destructive behaviour. Its the classic question to do with authority, 'Who polices the police'? Mods, i don't intend this as a personal attack. It is not that at all. I hope we all can develop the ability to introspect. My opinion, feel free to disagree. How long till this thread is locked? 5, 4, 3, 2, .......

I feel slightly preturbed that my vitriolic spelling angst seems to have been the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back... in my defence I would like to point out that the subject of my relatively mild grammatical barrage is quite a bit senior to myself and possessing a post count over 200... one would think that by this point that if the lad hasn't wrapped his head around the guidelines beset regarding language etc, its about time the rapscallion received a damn good thrashing.

However, point noted, and I shall attempt to restrain myself in future, and be content with playing a more passive role in watching the english language be utterly bastardised by the next generation.

OUT

Greetings from Mod land.

This seems to be a cycle that the board seems to go through, and it generally seems to be at this time of the year.

I don't post a lot these days (all these new fangled 37 valve "boosted" things don't do it for me), however I do still Mod quite a lot.

I understand these gripes, however let it be known that on will not incur the wrath of a Mod (in a serious way) unless you don't take heed of often friendly advice (often by PM), or get abusive. Or both.

Believe me that there is an awful lot going on that people don't see. There is 49 pages in the BIN that attests to that. Understand also that this is not an easy place to keep on an even keel, with a multitude of differing personalities to contend with. I'll freely admit that there are people in here that piss me right off. I have made it my position to let other Mods look after those people, so especially I for one don't end up going postal.

On the whole, seeing what the mods are doing in here, I think you can be assured that on the whole, your Mods attept to run the place as fairly and ethically as practicable.

Take into consideration that we also, at some time basically read EVERYTHING that is put on the forum. Spelling is one of my pet hates. Trawling through this forum they should be able to see what it is all about. It is clearly defined in the rules. The rules that one is meant to read before posting.

I also think it's unfair to assume that this thread would be closed imediately. How are we to know how to fix a problem if we do not know about it? That said, if it turns into a bashing session, it will be locked, but if it stays constuctive, what's the harm?

Remember, if you have an issue, a mod or admin is only a PM away. I for one am always happy to explain why I have done something.

Back to you all.

R

I'm 100% with Redwarf on this one. If people actually read the rules, it clearly states to make sure you check your spelling and don't type in leet. There is no reason why people cannot use proper grammar and correct spelling. We are not standing face to face, so there is no reason why you can't take a few minutes to edit your reply/question.

I refuse to read and reply to threads that contain huge amounts of errors and/or typed in leet.

Edited by kangaroosa

I have to agree as well,

I'm not a huge poster on this site but have had my head pulled in a couple of times. In fact, my first post was shut down in a big way by Nick... and rightly so, it was stupid!

If people really want to be a part of this site they will pull there heads in and stick with it, that is why I like this site, most of the people on here are sensible and genuinely want to be here unlike some other sites.

Enough from me...

Jarrad

i want to know how this works ,

example

I'm selling a motor

des askes me a price

i say my price

trev says f@$k off thats too dear u roag i got one for twenty bucks

raven says cut the crap or i will lock this thread

now thats a disadvantage to me and not hurting trev

sorry for using peoples names, none of you are like this but I'm just trying to say somthing

My input:

I know I went a bit postal initially when modding the for sale side of things and I was also put back on track for it so I stopped editing posts.

But would anyone here want to trawl through pages of information that was typed in l337 sp3ak? I know that if I was seriously looking for information, I wouldn't want to try and have to wrap my head around abbreviated words that will save you .2 seconds of your precious life to type, when the perfectly good english language is there to type in that everyone understands.

So I'm also with Redwarf on this one. A lot does go on behind the scenes and a lot of things get removed before a lot of you all see it as its unacceptable or not civil.

We are definitely attempting to keep this place running smoothly.

My 2c anyway.

i want to know how this works ,

example

I'm selling a motor

des askes me a price

i say my price

trev says f@$k off thats too dear u roag i got one for twenty bucks

raven says cut the crap or i will lock this thread

now thats a disadvantage to me and not hurting trev

sorry for using peoples names, none of you are like this but I'm just trying to say somthing

I can't place warns on people. I can only moderate what goes in on the for sale thread and if I'm the first one to pick that up, then I warn, tidy up the thread and let it continue generally Casey.

If its getting out of hand, the Global mods get notified and they deal with it accordingly.