Ke15 Sl Sprinter Thread...

INTRO

Hi. The other day I scored a cheap as pretty neat condition KE15 and a few have been asking about it so I decided to start my ride thread for its journey from back shed to the road and beyond. The car was purchased off an old guy who lived close to me and he could no longer drive so had no use for it and sold it. He was part way through restoring it as he wanted to drive it again and he was the original owner which made it all the better.

Over the cars history from what he told me he:

Killed a dog in it.

His daughter used it to learn in and be a daily.

He liked doing a few races in it.

Blew up an original K-B motor.

As he got old it was to fast for him so he removed the twin carbies.

After he lost license he started restoring it. But he decided it would sit in the shed un driven so he sold it to me :)

The car its self is a genuine 1969 KE15 SL sprinter with all "sport" options like disc brakes tacho dash sports wheel better clutch, lighter fly wheel, bigger cam shaft.

The engine it originally had was a K-B motor. After he blew this up ( he had cylinder head fail, this is common in old K motors) He replaced it with a NEW JDM 3K-C. When he replaced the engine de down graded to a single carby as he felt he couldn't handle the power of the twin carbies. He tried non stop to tell me they were twin "Holley's"..LOL

Below is a picture of the engine bay as it sits after being dropped at my yard.

post-1811-1177825918_thumb.jpg

Interior:

He has left this largely untouched. It is stock but sports the factory tacho dash, JDM seat belts in front only, glove box with map holder inside, MPH speedo, brand new black carpet, red vinaly seats with adjustable head rests and the better back adjuster. The changes he made to the interior while he was restoring it was he put in new carpet, new DIY door cards to match the seats, re done parcel shelf again red matching seats, installed a aftermarket tape deck. Picture below of the seats.

post-1811-1177826533_thumb.jpg

Body:

Has had quite a life..LOL He has resprayed the car Taxi orange at home so the job is ok but not well..well done..LOL and as you can see in the picture below is sporting a white roof.

As I said above he killed a dog once as he was going fast and couldnt stop in time. The dog hit the lower front valance and broke the drivers side front indicator then dinted the side guard. He has repaired this with bog and after so many years it is coming out and needs attention. A few other stone chips are also in the front valance and the rear of the car has the common problem this car had with the rear panel below the boot pulling away. This will also be fixed along with some rust in lower passenger door, front passenger guard, rear drivers side wheel guard.

post-1811-1177831116_thumb.jpg

Running gear:

This remains mostly untouched apart from the engine. He blew up the original K-B motor after the cylinder head let go which is common in this early K motor due to lack of valve stem seals and the water cooling tot he inlet manifold corroded up. So when fixing it he installed a new 3K-C motor he told me he bought from Toyota him self. He did how ever keep the original K-B flywheel clutch cover and twin carbies. Rest of the rare specific K-B parts were thrown out :(

The Transmission back is still stock. When being restored he had the transmission rebuilt :sob: and the diff rebuilt :yes: So this is all new and shifts VERY nice. no noise :( can't complain.

post-1811-1177831731_thumb.jpg

Wheels:

Still sports the factory rims with a very weird jap branded tires look like there original..LOL but there not all 4 are different not one single Australian marking on them all Jap and cracking hard as and leaking air and in a bad way. But in the days this car was driven around Ipswich he said he would lose a hub cap here and there. He would hear tehm fall off and never collect them :( So I only have 1 original hub cap sitting on the spare tire in the boot. So if anyone finds these hub caps PM me..LOL

Plans:

I want it restored to its former glory so I can enjoy one of the coolest classic Jap cars around. I will put a re-coed 5K in it original equipment will be reinstalled and it will be made to be enjoyed.

Things to do:

There are a few areas of attention this car needs before it can see the road again. Those things are listed below.

1. Fix all paint areas that need attention (front valance, drivers side guard, passengers side guard rear wheel arch passenger door).

2. Install 5K

3. Rebuild twin carbies and tune

4. Install whole new exhaust system as it is missing the original system.

5. Clean up interior (new seat belts, original radio, fix small tears in seats).

5. New front brakes prob a KE70 up grade.

6. New front wheel bearings.

7. Fix broken front lower indicator.

8. New bulbs all around.

9. new brake master cyclinder.

10. New door and boot rubber seals.

11. new door locks

12.fix cracked dash pad.

13. find an original KE15 air filter box.

During the build Ill probably get ideas change stuff etc. So keep watching folks.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head then it is REGO time :(

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice cameron, keep the thread rollin...

it is indeed a strange colour arrangement, but a sprinter none the less.

looks like it has the later model front apron, must be a 69 model?

any rust areas? does it have all the original badges still?

gotta love sprinters...

I moved this from Cams extractors wanted thread.

Get the thing running and maybe we can go on a cruise sometime. :) In seven years of driving my ke15 I have only ever seen one other on the road whilst driving. The other guy just about fell out of the window waving at me.

Doug

Edited by Felix

HAHAHA Id fall out my window to if I saw one of these bad boys on the road..LOL

Planning to get a set of extractors for the exhaust system and go a full straight through system. To many ideas not enough cash...LOL

Progress so far...NONE...LOL

But also Felix you will be pleased to hear I was donated a KE55 front brake setup so this sprinter will get an up grade all I need is $20 for bearings..lol

Good stuff, you will be a lot happier with the stopping performance. You'll just need a set of 13" rims to cover them. Mazda 626 rwd steelies fit nicely and really fatten up the look of the car. A full set of wheel bearings and seals cost $50 for the front, though depending on the condition of your current front hubs you may not need them.

Just keep your old bits for if you ever wish to return it to original or sell the car.

As a matter of interest I have only seen 2 ke15/17 sprinters in the wreckers and 4 other ke15/17s apart from the one I mentioned above since registering mine. The 4 were at the All Toyota Day and were owned by 2 older gents, one of which owned 3. :sob:

You don't have to try hard to be different when you own a ke15. :)

Edited by Felix

Wont that throw the speedo out?

Depends on what tyre size you run. 185/60R13's are pretty much identical in diameter to the original 12's. LOL. Damn, your car will not only stop better, but handle WAY better. You'll need a swaybar next. :) Trust me, a standard ke1x handles like crap on 12 inch rims.

Edited by Felix

Ok now updating the thread.

Extractors are days away in the post so well see how well I did on the carby setup I did when we fuel it up :S Also I have now tracked down a KE20 radiator n top nick that will be on the car soon and a set of 4 Mazda 13 inch rims to suit the brake up grade the rims and radiator are arriving Monday next week so only 6 sleeps.

Also ROL-110 The car is a 1969 KE15 Sprinter. So the front apron is weird and has some damage that has been bog fixed. So the whole front setup is a bit odd as it has later gear on it compared to Felix's KE15 and a few other minor details. Also the RACQ color scheme has grown on me even the white roof and I used to hate them..LOL But I will repaint it one day when cash lets me so it can go one whole color and fix a few minor flaws in the paint and panel work. But I do like the current orange a bit but I think a nice metallic will suit one day.

Also discovered today my car doesn't have the optional KE1X bed arrangement in the cabin like some had so that confirms that people.

But I will up date more when parts come.

Cheers

Cameron

It wouldn't be a 1970 model, the ke15's ran from 68-69.

The parts supply is coming along nicely. :S

You could consider either painting or vinyl trimming the roof black. Sunbeam Stiletto's had similarish styling with a black vinyl roof. I think it would work well with the yellow/orange, but it is entirely your choice.

2stilets.jpg

Edited by Felix

OOO black roof looks good. And I like those cars Felix :S

And spot on Raven RUST magnet I wont run vinyl roof as prone to rust big time.

Also the fire wall plate says KE15 and I think it has printed on the same plate 1970 made. Ill go out adn look a bit more tomorrow to see what I can find on it. To confim the year date.

Cheers

Cameron