What Grinds My Gears.

Posted speed limit is a "safe" speed for normal road conditions. If one feels that they arn't comfortable with doing the speed limit and must sit below it (eg. Old guy above), sure drive slower, but do it in the left lane, as to let people through who are travelling faster (above or on speed limit). People who sit below the speed limit and bank traffic up, should be in left hand lane, it is general courtesy. And as for not costing a great deal of time. Some people have to drive >30mins each day to work. If you get stuck behind a bastard doing 10km/h less in the right lane, and a truck in the left lane doing the same speed, for say 10 minutes of the trip, you may then just get stuck at a set of lights, which then takes another few minutes, but then you may also miss the next set, and so on, so forth. Just because it doesn't seem like much, it can very much turn a normal trip into a pain in the arse.

Left lane is for slow drivers.

Right is for fast.

General knowledge for most, and it make traffic flow faster, and safer.

Obviously sitting below the limit is acceptable if you are driving to different conditions (Fog, Rain, heavy traffic etc etc) but I am assuming the above scenario was on a normal day.

you know that a speed limit is the fastest acceptable speed you are allowed to travel on that particular piece of road?

if people wish to sit below it so be it, its their choice and if you read your road rules it should state that all traffic should travel in the left lane unless overtaking(which is what the right hand lane is for on a dual lane road:- that what it is in SA, and I'm pretty sure its like that nationally unless its got a sigh saying otherwise) and the member i was responding to said that the astra was doing 70 while the trucks in the left hand lane were going slower than that, so in actual fact the astra driver was well with in his right to be in the right hand lane as he was probably over taking the slower trucks. :P

Oh and if you have to drive >30 minutes to work and you get held up by slower traffic that is your problem(ever thought about moving closer to where work or swapping jobs to one closer?) here is a suggestion leave an extra 10 -15minutes earlier, and if your early to work then have a coffee or a smoke or hell even have a power nap.

If you are worried about people holding you up doing 10 kays below the speed limit on your way to work, then leave 5 to 10 minutes earlier.

The speed limit is just that, the speed limit... ie. the maximum legal allowable speed. Keep in mind that cars speedos do vary.

Shit, I drive 2 hours to work a couple of days a week along country roads. I often catch trucks doing 20-40 kays below the speed limit on hilly sections where there is double white lines. You just have to bide your time before overtaking. It is even worse when you end up with a line of cars. The best thing to do is select some good music and sit back and relax.

Better to be late then dead on time.

+1 felix i would rather be late to work and get in trouble than not make it at all.

hell if your late to work, just stay back that time you were late, its a no brainer really

now its time to get down off of my soapbox and relax :lolcry:

Members dont see this ad
WGMG - Liars. I know a guy who claims his Silvia is making 220rwkw's on 13psi....Is that even possible from a SR20det? It doesn't feel that powerful and we found a dyno sheet from last year that said 175 or something like that, but he says that's before it had forged internals....Which I also don't believe it has.

Another guy has a R32...claims he has 250rwkw's..........I just doubt it.

From all the SR's I have driven and seen on the dyno it would need more than 13psi to make those numbers, I actually drove a S13 180 on thursday that makes 310hp at the wheels, Now that thing was a weapon.

RB20's should capable of it, I have seen 20's with stock internals making 200rwkw's, I'm sure that with some cams and some more boost.

you know that a speed limit is the fastest acceptable speed you are allowed to travel on that particular piece of road?

if people wish to sit below it so be it, its their choice and if you read your road rules it should state that all traffic should travel in the left lane unless overtaking(which is what the right hand lane is for on a dual lane road:- that what it is in SA, and I'm pretty sure its like that nationally unless its got a sigh saying otherwise) and the member i was responding to said that the astra was doing 70 while the trucks in the left hand lane were going slower than that, so in actual fact the astra driver was well with in his right to be in the right hand lane as he was probably over taking the slower trucks. :P

Oh and if you have to drive >30 minutes to work and you get held up by slower traffic that is your problem(ever thought about moving closer to where work or swapping jobs to one closer?) here is a suggestion leave an extra 10 -15minutes earlier, and if your early to work then have a coffee or a smoke or hell even have a power nap.

+1 felix i would rather be late to work and get in trouble than not make it at all.

hell if your late to work, just stay back that time you were late, its a no brainer really

now its time to get down off of my soapbox and relax :lolcry:

So what ever happened to being considerate of other road users?

This is the number one cause of road rage and general crap that goes on, people don't give a shit about those around them on the roads and they drive accordingly. (yes this goes for the tossers weaving in and out of traffic aswell)

How many times have you had someone not thank you for letting them into a gap or merging across when two lanes merge? in some cases it is also their "right" but its still common courtesy to wave or thank, but alot of people act like its their god given right to drive however they feel regardless of how it affects other road users (ie. the bloke going slow!)

So what ever happened to being considerate of other road users?

This is the number one cause of road rage and general crap that goes on, people don't give a shit about those around them on the roads and they drive accordingly. (yes this goes for the tossers weaving in and out of traffic aswell)

How many times have you had someone not thank you for letting them into a gap or merging across when two lanes merge? in some cases it is also their "right" but its still common courtesy to wave or thank, but alot of people act like its their god given right to drive however they feel regardless of how it affects other road users (ie. the bloke going slow!)

being considerate, should also take into account and understand that there are also people who do drive slower than the post speed limit. So when you think about it the original poster wasnt being considerate/understanding to the gent in the astra. This can be debated over and over and it is double edged sword, so your damned if you do damned if you don't :lolcry:

Edited by MYSTIK

Its actually against the law to obstruct traffic whilst driving and you can get fined for causing a hazard.

This also relates to the current discussion of travelling slower than the roads speed limit.

If these slow drivers have traffic banked up behind them and there is an accident caused be travelling in the incorrect lane at the incorrect speed of the road, the person who is going to get the blame is the person who was causing the traffic issue. :lolcry:

WGMG - My stupid bitch of a housemate keeps using all my groceries in my fridge without asking and then when she is confronted about it she denies it.

Solution: Install a hasp and staple lock attached by super-strong 3M adhesive tape to the fridge, followed by a padlock and now she is denied access :P

Its actually against the law to obstruct traffic whilst driving and you can get fined for causing a hazard.

This also relates to the current discussion of travelling slower than the roads speed limit.

If these slow drivers have traffic banked up behind them and there is an accident caused be travelling in the incorrect lane at the incorrect speed of the road, the person who is going to get the blame is the person who was causing the traffic issue. :lolcry:

Very true, and isnt it one of those laws that fall into a grey area of personal interpretation? As i personally don't see 5 - 10 km under the posted speed limit an obstruction, where as other may see it as so, but when its half the posted speed limit or less its becomes a problem.

as i said above it can be debated over and over and is a double edged sword

every time i plan a big good old time with mates (going out) i end up feeling like shit all day for no reason... right now i have a pounding head ache and feel extreamly seedy...I'm trying all i can to make my self feel better before 6pm tonight lol. its Ekka public holiday here in brissy so I'm heading out tonight clubbing.