1st Episode Of Top Gear, What Did You Think Of It ?

Budowski

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't watch much of the UK Top Gear but foud the Aussy version quite good.

For those who think its a direct copy of the UK version, well it is. Like Australian Idol, the same formate as the rest of the world but with local presenters and content.

Personally i think it was well done and will only get better as they all settle in to their personallities. :y:

Copied from my Toymods post:

I think it had ups and downs. Warren Brown (despite his driving abilities) is a natural presenter, he's probably the funniest of the lot because of his relaxed attitude, and in a way he's the most used to the TV camera too. Charlie Cox sounded like he was going to burst a blood vessel doing his Melbourne Cup commentary on the Power Laps, even though you saw more of the interior and Stig's helmet than the track. Steve Pizzati is obviously the Hammond of the lot, but even so I think his gerbil-face and school-kid enthusiasm is going to wear a bit thin after......ohh, the first five minutes of the show.

And to whoever asked "Who _are_ the presenters", it's been covered before, and they all have motorsport or motoring connections. Warren Brown is (apart from a cartoonist) a motoring columnist for the Telegraph, a collector of vintage cars, and drove a 1907 Itala from Beijing to Paris in a recreation of a vintage car rally, on TV. Pizzati is an advanced driving instructor and Porsche Australia factory race driver, and Cock-head is a MotoGP commentator and former BTCC and touring car driver + commentator.

And it's been said by many people, but the real comparisons need to be made to the first season of the British Top Gear. Camera-work was shoddy on the track for them too, the set was spartan, and they had a useless presenter too who got ditched after the first season.

And SIARPC/SIABSC is going to get better the more and more people come on, as are the Power Laps (as long as camera-work improves), because a single time is just boring and no comparison (although apparently the Stig was about 10-15 seconds faster than Colosimo). Damn the track is narrow in some parts though, completely different to the UK one.

I agree with the ex-Deliverator. I thought WB was the most relaxed and natural of them. I liked him a lot. Pizzati I could give or take, although I think he will settle into being a useful individual. Cox annoyed the piss out of me. I would have liked more substance in the Maybach segment, and their track at Camden airfield sucks the big one. I know they're on a budget, but surely something better could be found. Say, a real sized airfield like Mangalore perhaps.....

Ancullen: The sad fact is that there are only so many press cars that motor companies allow to be raped. (I've driven one particular press car in Qld, NSW, SA and WA...)I thought (from the perspective of a professional driver) that the RAV4 thing was irresponsible, and I can tell you manufacturers won't be lining up to give them another car. Yes it's top gear, no they don't like having cars destroyed.

I'll give it a few more weeks and see how it goes.

Stig? From the seating position I would have said Bargs, but the driver didn't look that talented.

Edited by Redwarf

and their track at Camden airfield sucks the big one. I know they're on a budget, but surely something better could be found. Say, a real sized airfield like Mangalore perhaps.....

Needed better camera work i reckon.

Ancullen: The sad fact is that there are only so many press cars that motor companies allow to be raped. (I've driven one particular press car in Qld, NSW, SA and WA...)I thought (from the perspective of a professional driver) that the RAV4 thing was irresponsible, and I can tell you manufacturers won't be lining up to give them another car. Yes it's top gear, no they don't like having cars destroyed.

I was almost on the edge of my seat hoping the d/h would have flipped it or rolled it to show people why you don't do stupid shut like that in the sand. Phucking wanker.

Should have used a Morris Major instead of a Moke in the shark scene.

Other then that thought it was alright for its first show

I'm just watching episode two right now. I missed the sand driving last week, but if you thought the cars coped a raping then, how about the mining site bit with the utes?!?!?! The way they were dropping the rocks into the tray (and down the outside) was stupid. And that's without going into the damage to the Navara tailgate. That would have to be a new tailgate for the Navara, and touch ups on all three cars from the scratches and marks from the rocks.

In an aside, in the Ford GT test, they said it had 800+hp. I don't know how they came up with that - Mustang Motorsport have the power figure on their website as 410kW (550hp). So not only are these guys a pack of dicks (they are, don't deny it), now they (and the rest of the TGA team) can't even get their facts right.

And TGUK would have had the budget to buy a Smart car, chop it, and build a proper hearse. That would have been funny as hell! Especially if they gave Jeremy the angle grinder to make the cuts. :)

Edited by ancullen

This show was better. A bit disapointed they sat on the fence with the whole holden vs ford thing. They are starting to get a thing for damaging cars (or the old fella is) But looking forward to next week with the wrecking yard thing they are doing

Just quietly I think they're going to shoot themselves in the foot by the end of this season if they aren't careful with what they destroy.

Yes its good for ratings, but this ain't TGUK.... we haven't got the budget, the viewership or the car sales for the manufacturers to keep handing over vehicles for these knobjockeys ( I don't like ANY of them, they're two dimensional and boring ) to destroy.

And yeah... 800hp? Tell him he's dreamin.

The ford vs holden was pretty sit on the fence, but i did like the review. The ute mining thing was still abit way off base, i mean cmon notice all the real utes in the background were landcruisers, yeh i know its supposed to stupid but .....rant.

Hasnt the ford gt been done to death ? but liked the small dog being sucked up a vent comment :)

I'm looking forward to the junkyard thing next week.

Just quietly I think they're going to shoot themselves in the foot by the end of this season if they aren't careful with what they destroy.

Yes its good for ratings, but this ain't TGUK.... we haven't got the budget, the viewership or the car sales for the manufacturers to keep handing over vehicles for these knobjockeys ( I don't like ANY of them, they're two dimensional and boring ) to destroy.

And yeah... 800hp? Tell him he's dreamin.

you said it in one word "knobjockeys"

Jumbuck.. who buys a FWD ute, it makes as much sence as having a FWD 800hp GT, he he

anyway the only thing that lasts up there longer then a month is those landcruisers

Edited by nate86