1st Episode Of Top Gear, What Did You Think Of It ?

Budowski

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAHA

I'm glad I'm not the only one that immediately jumped on here to see what people thought...

Yeh, like you said, still the first episode, it may find its own legs half way through the season.

The reviews seem less comprehensive than its UK counterpart, and every second word is 'V8' which I find rather annoying, although I guess the Australian audience has a different set of priorities.

Am also wondering: The UK version slags out so much on Vauxhall, so who the hell are we gonna pick on?

I can't say that I find the hosts particularly endearing... ok so maybe I mean boring, two dimensional and slightly laboured in their comedic delivery.

I'm sure they'll get better with time.

Oh and submerging a moke... NOT a good way to curry my favour. I love mokes. :y:

Edited by 7shades

i really liked it. i think as it was there first show they tried to cram in as much stuff as they could, just so that people might find something that they liked.

now down to business, who is australian stig?

he looked short to me. i was thinking either Grant Denyer or Jason Bargwana.

any thoughts?

+ 1

similar layout to UK

turning car on in studio

what were they thinking wall

comments about vic police, poppin cap in ass with bling bling, yo

Stig introduction, Another Stig -

Crapppppy test course & shite reasonably priced car

some of the silly saying

the bogan feeling

Over all... I still think the UK version is superior, Clarkson is awesome hahah

For me the main problem is the older guy. I see what they've done. In the uk market theres the Bossy old alphamale, the dignified slightly eccentric gent and the boy racer. Here we get the knowitall old alphamale, the nerdish eccentric bloke, and the young bogan/hoon. They had the right intention but I dunno about our 'Clarkson' character. He seems bland, unfunny, and hard to listen to. I can relate to the hoon and the eccentric, but not the other guy. Oh well, other than that, its a tried and tested format so if they get it wrong Ill be surprised as hell.

I am a big fan of the UK verison, hammond, may and clarkson work well together.

The australian verison was ok, as people have said it will take a while before everything gels together. The cartoonist is a bit weird, who really wants to see if a shark will eat a car? The young one is ok but you get the feeling he is a mums basement/star wars nerd even though he has been in control of anything but a fighter jet (you have to have 20/20 vision to fly one of these) The old guy is not really a good host, he tries to hard to get jokes in, he seems like a good driver and presenter but as host he just hasn't really got it. The short and stubby Stig, would have to be jason bargwanna.

We will see how the next couple of weeks go, holden vs ford thing next (i know some people might be interested but it will be good to how they start to compare the two) Theres my two cents anyway

+ 1

similar layout to UK

turning car on in studio

what were they thinking wall

comments about vic police, poppin cap in ass with bling bling, yo

all agreed

Stig introduction, Another Stig - confused grunt??? you have to have the Stig!

Crapppppy test course & shite reasonably priced car - whilst Proton's are EXTREMELY shit, I know the Gen 2 (and presumably Satria) actually handle REALLY well. If you're going to have a reasonably priced car, make it as shit as possible - like the Daewoo/Chevrolet in TGUK.

some of the silly saying

the bogan feeling - definitely agreed - trying too hard to get the Australian image happening

Over all... I still think the UK version is superior, Clarkson is awesome hahah - yeah, Clarkson forever!!! Gotta love the sexist machismo he has so naturally

For me the main problem is the older guy. I see what they've done. In the uk market theres the Bossy old alphamale, the dignified slightly eccentric gent and the boy racer. Here we get the knowitall old alphamale, the nerdish eccentric bloke, and the young bogan/hoon. They had the right intention but I dunno about our 'Clarkson' character. He seems bland, unfunny, and hard to listen to. I can relate to the hoon and the eccentric, but not the other guy. Oh well, other than that, its a tried and tested format so if they get it wrong Ill be surprised as hell.

Agreed. Only Clarkson can do Clarkson. The other guy will probably try and show more of Clarkson's qualities as they settle in, but that will just show just how much of a copy of TGUK this version is. Isn't doesn't have enough identity of its own.

BTW, did anyone get the feeling they'd seen all the cars before?

- Haltech GT-R: Motor October 2008

- Lotus (BFN-86B): Wheels October 2008

- AMG CLS63 (WNC-611): Wheels September 2008

- X-Trail (WAQ-074) & Forester (AU-23-JT): Wheels September 2008

Plus I'm sure I've seen the white M3 and possibly that RAV4 V6 before as well. If I had taped the show I'd double check (yes, I'm that boring). Anyone else think that perhaps Australia needs a few more test cars for journalists to thrash???

everything seemed copied straight from the UK show. the presenters, the format and the cinematography...everything.

therefore it gets a big :y:

I also think it sucks that after 4000+ entries to become the Top Gear hosts, they end up using professionals anyway. i can see them using the other entrants footage as 'filler' when the show gets tired, just like they do on Australian Idol lol.

I'm not even going to bother rocking up to be in the studio audience next week.

Agreed about the whole farce auditions: I can't imagine those guys made a dodgy home-stiched dvd like myself and others had to!

Probably didnt audition at all!

Hell, I'm just pissed because I didnt get the job haha.

As for the old guy, I reckon he'll settle in and get into the swing of it. Keep in mind that the UK version is in its 11th year and the boys have a pretty soldid rapport with each other!