1st Episode Of Top Gear, What Did You Think Of It ?

Budowski

I'm just watching episode two right now. I missed the sand driving last week, but if you thought the cars coped a raping then, how about the mining site bit with the utes?!?!?! The way they were dropping the rocks into the tray (and down the outside) was stupid. And that's without going into the damage to the Navara tailgate. That would have to be a new tailgate for the Navara, and touch ups on all three cars from the scratches and marks from the rocks.

I laughed at the fact that they knew it was going to be a load-hauling challenge, yet gerbil-face still chose the XR6, which has identical power to the standard Ute yet can only take half the payload (1-tonne for the standard vs 500 for the XR6). And the standard Ute with 1-tonne package would be cheaper than the XR6 too, so it fails on all logic.

In an aside, in the Ford GT test, they said it had 800+hp. I don't know how they came up with that - Mustang Motorsport have the power figure on their website as 410kW (550hp). So not only are these guys a pack of dicks (they are, don't deny it), now they (and the rest of the TGA team) can't even get their facts right.

I noticed that too, thought for a second they might have confused numbers with the Mustang Super Snake (as reviewed in the TGA magazine vs the W427), but it still only had 700-odd HP, so no idea where Cock-head is pulling his numbers from.....probably fairy-land.

And TGUK would have had the budget to buy a Smart car, chop it, and build a proper hearse. That would have been funny as hell! Especially if they gave Jeremy the angle grinder to make the cuts. :)

TGUK would have the budget to buy the Smart car, they would then use no money at all apart from gas-axe rental and let Clarkson do the rest, and end up with nothing resembling a proper hearse (remember his stretch limo Panda that broke in half?), but a lot funnier than just chucking a coffin through the back window.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been sitting on my hands for a week befor putting in my 2 bobs worth here.

I'm a huge TGUK fan and have seen ever episode that has aired in the UK so far......just wait to you see what Jeremy "...finds on the internet" each week! hahaha

Points I would like to make or re-inforce after the first 2 eps:

1, Somebody made a very valid point about comparing these 2 eps to the first series of TGUK. Its now been running for over 10 season, about 5 of which have been with the 3 current UK presenters. I think its only fair to give the aussie guys a chance to settle in and and find their feet. I'm sure they will also develop their own styles within time and draw less of a parallel to their UK counter parts.

Agreed that Warren's style, albeit a little un-orthodox, is also very natural. Compared to Cox who at times seams a little forced in his deliver, and as somebody said seems to at times try too hard.

Pazzani - I'm normally quite "anti-bogan", but I think Steve brings some good ol Aussie bogan culture to the show, and frankly, being the aussie version I don't think the show could do without this!!! When was the last time the UK boys have a lambo in the studio, started it, and hit the rev limiter befor it even gets the chance to build up some decent oil pressure!!! :)

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen them start a car in the UK studio apart from a couple that have been driven in - ie the battered hilux.

2, I was suprised at just how similar the studio set was to the UK set. In the first 3 second of the show you could be forgiven for thinging you are actually watching TGUK, until they zoom in on the stage and you see the aussie presenters.

This and the fact that a lot of the show concept is pretty much a direct copy of the UK version was a little dissapointing, until a put a little bit more thought into it: Remeber guys, the show is still own by the BBC and is under licence to SBS. This means that the HAVE TO "follows the rules of Top Gear".

For example, are our Aussie produced game shows unique!? NO, they are all a direct copy of a US/UK proven game show!!! :yes: And do I even have to mention Big Brother or Aus/US/UK/world Idol!!??

If a show works in one country, why drastically change it for another!?

Its seems that some people expected a show so different to TGUK, that why would they even call it Top Gear!!

It is good to see there are some small differences though, like the "what where they thinking" wall, however I suppose this is sort of based on "the cool wall".

Some of the Stories.

1, I didn't ever think (a couple of years ago) that I would ever see a Top Gear episode filmed on Tassie roads. And I highly doubt it will be the last time! :D

2, Yeah I don't know how they got 800hp for the GT. :P I did a quick google search about it, found RHD002 and they claim it has 550hp.......

http://email.kazoommarketing.com.au/em/mes...978&u=18376

Maybe RHD001 has had a couple of turbos fitted (only 250hp more), but I highly doubt it. If it did you'd think they'd mention it.

3, I think a lot of people missed the whole point about their Holden VS Ford story. They were not actually trying to compare the 2 cars (if they did I'm sure they would use a V8 falcon too) and find a winner. :yes:

"after the tyres warmed up" :) they where trying to enphasize the fact that Aussie's are infact quite lucky in having 2 locally made cars with so much "bang for buck". Yeah by the time you start looking at Clubsports or FPV's for similar money you can get a brand new Merc or Beamer. But you CANNOT get an AMG or an M3!!!! :P

4, I did find the "Smart Hurst" a little silly, however I didn't mind the "shark/moke" story - that was typically Australian.

5, Vince Collosimo got his arse kicked!!! 8/

I'm going to end my rant here for now..... but can I just leave you with one thing to consider, which is the way I'm looking at TGA, good or bad.......

"ANY Top Gear is GOOD Top Gear"!! :yes:

"ANY Top Gear is GOOD Top Gear"!! :)

And that, good sir, is a very valid point.

Here's the thing though... and why I believe TGAU isn't being recived quite as well as it could be.

TGUK is the most popular auto show on the planet. It evolved from much humbler beginnings to become what it is now... the entity known as TGUK. Its not posssible to copy it and be just as succesful, for in order to copy it you would need the three presenters, the studio, the stig, everything... there is only one, and will only ever be one TGUK.

So know we have TGAU... the same show, but, different?

Right.

Here's an analagous hypothetical.

Say you went to a Domino's pizza franchise. They had the same logo, the same boxes, the same uniforms, the same decor in the store... but they had a different menu.

Would it still be Dominos?

It looks the same, seems the same, you're still getting a pizza, but its just not quite right... its still tasty, but not quite as tasty as it could be... and definately nothing like the pizza you're used to. Kinda second rate... like they are using bland flavourless ingredients.

You'll keep eating it, because any pizza is good pizza. But you'll still have the taste of the REAL Dominos in mind every time you order.

So know we have TGAU... the same show, but, different?

Right.

Here's an analagous hypothetical.

Say you went to a Domino's pizza franchise. They had the same logo, the same boxes, the same uniforms, the same decor in the store... but they had a different menu.

Would it still be Dominos?

It looks the same, seems the same, you're still getting a pizza, but its just not quite right... its still tasty, but not quite as tasty as it could be... and definately nothing like the pizza you're used to. Kinda second rate... like they are using bland flavourless ingredients.

You'll keep eating it, because any pizza is good pizza. But you'll still have the taste of the REAL Dominos in mind every time you order.

I've used that metaphor before, except with McDonalds instead of Dominos. Except my point was that they had to use the set, camera-angles, Stig etc from the UK show because it's effectively a franchise, and would be like walking into a Maccas which didn't have the golden arches and didn't have Big Macs or Happy Meals on the menu if they weren't included

I want the stig to put my ae71 around the track sooo bad.

Ah hell I wanna do it too.

I wonder if theyll let me...

I think this show had signs of settling in to a groove emerging. I also thought the hosts seemed a little more comfortable with it all, which made me a bit more comfortable wathcing it. I personally don't mind them trashing the cars. Tell me you never thrashed a rental car in your life, its their job to thrash them. I wanna know how easy they break, especially with all the fourbys and utes they've tested already. Where I come from if you can't do that to it, you'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure they'll just drift around in the supercars on the tarmac like the UK boys do, when they get a chance. They might have to borrow peoples own cars to get to test at the top of the market, so they will really have to behave.

I must say, that cold revving to the limiter was ghey. Poor car.

I am a massive fan of the UK version of top gear... and to tell you the truth i think that the australian version is crap. i don't like to be too critical of new shoes, especially shows that are finally about cars for once! But after watching the second episode last night, i switched it over half way through it completely un impressed. i thought that they may be able to make it work with the whole Holden and Ford thing but they even stuffed that up. i mean come on putting up aa 317 kw 8 against a super 6 that is limited to boost.....then at the end they used the crapy line " and the winner is...there is no winner"

We need better hosts that arent pre rehuresed and hasbeens. I want the UK version back!

hehe that is my rant!

:)

What's unfair about the comparison? The turbo Falcon has always been superior to it's equivalent V8 cousin (F6/Typhoon>GT, XR6 Turbo>XR8), and on paper it has near identical power to the HSV, 317 vs 310. Acceleration times are near identical, so what are you complaining about? It's as fair a matchup between Falcon and Commodore as you can get

^^^^^^ :)

3, I think a lot of people missed the whole point about their Holden VS Ford story. They were not actually trying to compare the 2 cars (if they did I'm sure they would use a V8 falcon too) and find a winner. 8/

missSX, it sometime pays to read other posts, rather than reading the topic heading and making a reply. :)

Oh and if you're that dissapointed in the aussie version.......don't watch it, plain and simple.

I have watched 5 or 6 seasons of TGUK and I love the show. The early versions of the UK version were pretty average. But the Aussie show has definately improved form episode 1 to this weeks episode. I like Warren and I have seen him on his own show before "Peeking to Paris" where he drove ealry 1900's crs from Peeking, China to Paris, France, He and Steve appear to be their own characters But Charlie seems to be forcing a Clarkson Copy down our throats and It annoys me.

The Holden Vs Ford Challenege was good to see some local cars on the show and I hope they continue to show local cars and cars that real people can afford. The stars in the reasonbly priced car. I s a bit off due to them using a Proton??? Why not use a Corolla, Tiida or Focus. The Ute challenge, as destructive and lack of point it had was funny and I'm looking forward to them going through the Wreckes next week to resurrect a car each. All in all, The presenters seemed to relax this week and seem to be fitting into their roles and It should turn out to be a successful show :)

The stars in the reasonbly priced car. I s a bit off due to them using a Proton??? Why not use a Corolla, Tiida or Focus.

One word - sponsorship

And cheaper. Remember the UK version used a Suzuki, and then a re-badged Daewoo, neither of them classy or respectable cars. And Europe has some of the best handling small hatch-backs on the planet, yet they chose something crap, which was the idea. Crap cars are better to differentiate driving ability with, as good cars can tend to flatter or compensate for poorer drivers.