Ke70 Racecar Project

David

small update.. if anyone is interested in how the progress is going

welded in equal length 4link with uniballs at both ends

also did make a new section for the diff/tailshaft because the car is so low it got smashed by the diff/tailshaft

dsc01158.jpg

considering making new rear wheel housings, but that depends on what types of flares I will run.. I will really need some wider tyres next season

cusco pipe A arms with uniballs, and adjustable (bump steer )tie rods also uniballs

dsc01141.jpg

only thing left in suspension not using uniballs/spherical bearing/pillowball or whatever you call it is front and rear sway bar, I will change these to custom adjustable swaybar using roller bearings later, but for now stock ae86 will do

dsc01138.jpg

have also bought a blacktop 20v engine

and I got some special cams from TODA which are custom grinds, I won't tell the specs, but I know a guy that got similar cams which I have documented proof of 202BHP on a 100% stock blacktop 20v ( except the cams, valve springs and cam pulleys)

I will aim for alittle more.. about 210-220hp using VEMS ECU, and E85 fuel ( 85% ethanol, 104 octane )

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats the 85 percent ethanol fuel like, have you always used it?

no, I have never used it, except on a 4K engine just for testing

E85 is 104 octane, cost is 8 NOK/litre

shell has the best regular fuel which are 99 octane for 12-13 NOK/litre

the advantage of running E85 is that it runs much cleaner and cooler and gives more hp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

no, I have never used it, except on a 4K engine just for testing

E85 is 104 octane, cost is 8 NOK/litre

shell has the best regular fuel which are 99 octane for 12-13 NOK/litre

the advantage of running E85 is that it runs much cleaner and cooler and gives more hp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_standard_engines

Lots of good reading there. Seems like a lot of risks/engineering required to make it work but Ill be impressed if you can. How do you expect to get so much power when its only 3/4 as explosive as petrol? Youll have better mileage...

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Lots of good reading there. Seems like a lot of risks/engineering required to make it work but Ill be impressed if you can. How do you expect to get so much power when its only 3/4 as explosive as petrol? Youll have better mileage...

well, the E85 contains about 30% less energy, that is solved running 30--40% richer fueling :P

another big advantage of using E85 is there is no carbon buildup in the compression chamber or exhaust pipes

it burns so much cleaner it's almost like race fuel, except that race fuel cost 4-5 times as much!

also burning temperatures is much cooler, so there is less chance the engine will blowup

almost every engine can run E85 with a few modifications, but to get more power out of it the engine needs to be built to use E85.. except turbo engines..

I'm gonna run about 13:1 in compression ratio to maximize torque

the advantage of using E85 on a turbo engine is that you can run much higher boost pressure with no added risk of blowup

I don't know how much more power the fuel will give me, but if I'm getting 1 or 2 hp and it cost me nothing, that's good enough for me

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, but it's winter here now, so I couldn't use it anyway

at the moment I'm seriously thinking about doing something to the aerodynamics

if anyone have heard about the old lotus formula 1 cars in 1978-1980 era

also the caparral 2J "vacuum cleaner" from 1970 :2thumbs:

this car for an example used a large fan to create a vacuum under the car, to suck it down.. that resulted in much higher cornering speed, and got banned because the other cars behind got much dirt thrown at them

even 1 driver got blind on 1 eye because of this car

800px-2001_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_Brabham_BT46B_Fan_car.jpg

it's possible to create the same effect without fans, by using skirts that seals the side of the car, the skirts must be in contact of the road and some sort of rubber could be used

also by adding a extremely low front spoiler, and shaping the underside of the car and adding a rear diffuser you can create a venturi effect that results in higher cornering speeds

in 1979 they managed to get cornering speeds up to 5G, that's the exact same they do today, 30 years later, and now they got much better suspension and tires than they had 30 years ago!!

I don't know how great this will work on a ke70.. but I think it's worth a try? :hmm:

read this for more information on the ground effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_in_cars

Edited by David

I remember seeing something on this topic not long ago, and its something I'd been meaning to try when I had an R32 Skyline as they tend to get a bit 'floaty' at high speed...

Apparently adding a few rows of upside down 'speed bumps' on the underside of the car generates lower pressure... I might see if I can find the article again or draw a little picture from memory.

Well there you go....I always wondered what those fans were for on the back of the chapparal. I just assumed they might have been thermos or something. Here's a few pics of the 2J for people who have never seen it,....although most would have on GT4. :thumbsup:

This shot clearly shows the ground effects skirt...

91-3.jpg

chaparral-01a.JPG

Couple of good shots showing the "vacuum cleaner" effect....

23large.jpg

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...l%3Den%26sa%3DX