December 21, 200916 yr comment_399791 Yeah Dan, double check them might not really need re-tensioning but won't hurt at all to check. Also double check your valve clearances while you have the "engine hat" off. Report
December 21, 200916 yr comment_399836 the tech of 35 years at work said his seen truck blocks crack from oil in the headbolt threads (mind you this is torque of 650nm) Yeh it's pretty easy to do, oil is incompressible and when your putting plenty of torque on (you won't need 650nm either) you are pressurising that oil to an extreme. That's the beauty of bolts, the insane amount of mechanical advantage you get. google Pascals Law. Also, a lot of older blocks are Cast Iron which is isn't too good with Tensile forces. Report
January 19, 201016 yr Author comment_406576 Ok i'm back, is there any way to get the pistons back into the block without having the proper tool? Report
January 19, 201016 yr comment_406578 Have a hunt for an appropiate sized piece of poly pipe etc. Cut a slot down one side so you can "compress" it. Insert piston and compress. Hold above the bore and and push the piston in. :D Report
January 19, 201016 yr comment_406588 ^ ^ ^ Into the dodgy mods thread!! :D Cheap, crude and effective! Report
January 19, 201016 yr comment_406624 Yeh that's a bloody good tip, but mind you if you shop around it's only 15 bucks for a ring compressor anyway. The worst is when you're doing a motorbike or similar and you have to drop the cylinder sleeve over the piston, you need a compressor that can split. Or lots of practice with your fingers.... Report
January 23, 201016 yr Author comment_407710 ok i have a compressor, do i coat the rings and the sides of the pistons in engine oil? Report
January 23, 201016 yr comment_407711 ok i have a compressor, do i coat the rings and the sides of the pistons in engine oil? Hi Anastasios. I think that you would give them a light coat of oil. Don't you have a workshop manual? I would never even attempt a job like this without at least a Gregories. W. Report
January 23, 201016 yr comment_407722 Why use a manual when you have a Rollaclub? I think it's brilliant that you have the desire and patience to do this all yourself, I would have cracked it and bought another engine by now..... But I'm hopeless.... :dance: Top work, keep it up...... And a +1 for condensing this thread into a tech article..... Report
January 24, 201016 yr comment_408104 Its probably better off being turned into ana's projects thread. If you want this to be the case (when your engine is 100% and running) just shoot me a PM and I'll move into the appropiate area and you can re-title it. :dance: Report
February 10, 201016 yr Author comment_412453 Haha yea I think that would be a good idea! Heres a pic of the machined pistons, atm I am waiting to get paid so I can go buy another headgasket etc and get this running. I went and bought a piston ring tool as well, so if anyone needs to borrow one in the Sydney area let me know. Edited February 10, 201016 yr by anastasios Report
February 10, 201016 yr comment_412477 Looking good - you going to clean up that deck a bit too I'm guessin? What'd you pay for the ring compressor, I found that the same items went anywhere from 20-60 bucks! Report
February 10, 201016 yr Author comment_412728 I payed something like 30 or so bucks for it from supercheap, its not the best quality and took a few times to get each one in, but hey they are in. Report
February 20, 201016 yr Author comment_415400 Hey guys what torque settings do you use for the oil pan nuts? Report
February 20, 201016 yr comment_415404 Hey guys what torque settings do you use for the oil pan nuts? My original manual says: Oil pan x Cylinder block Standard bolt 0.2-0.4 kg-m 18-34 in.lb Step bolt 0.3-0.7 kg-m 27-60 in.lb Cheers, W. Edited February 20, 201016 yr by woteva Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now