What Car Would You Drive?

Felix

What car are you gonna drive when your pecker finally kicks a goal, and your missus spits out a ruggie? A little rolla will get awfully small real fast trying to fit in a baby seat (or two), a pram and all the other shit that goes with them.

Or if you already have kids, what do you drive your family around in?

Edited by Felix

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a ke30 2 door, and the missus had a TD gemini sedan when she first got preggers. I sold the ke30 and bought an EH wagon.

Later on the gemi started having issues so we got rid of it and I got my ke15 on the road for a runaround.

The EH got to much so we moved to a HQ sedan, and after the missus crashed it, I got her a ke16 wagon as the kids didn't need carseats anymore. Kinda cool having a ke15 and ke16 as our drive cars for 4 years or so.

We later on deregistered the ke16 (got too small) and the missus got a gen 1 subaru liberty wagon.

My ke15 came off the road and 6 months or so ago I got myself an E32 BMW for my drive car and a cool comfy family cruiser for the weekends. I can't stand everyday cars like commodores and falcons.

Recently the Subaru died so the missus now drives a neat little 87 swb turbo diesel Pajero.

The ke15 is planned to come out of semi retirement later after some work for weekend motorsport duties (motorkhanas and stuff to teach the kids to drive in a safe environment) and a bit of running around.

Edited by Felix

I would have said a Chaser, but they are not that big on the inside. I had one so I should know. Also when it is for family cheapness and reliability is where it's at so you want something you can put on LPG.

As much as it pains me to say it, we get ex company VZ Commodores here for like $6K with less than 100K Kms on them so I would buy one purely because they are so cheap. What else can you buy that is late model and big for that kind of money? Nothing!!!!!

We have a baby girl on the way, due in about 6 weeks and when it is just me and her, she will be rolling in my Corolla. For other times where we won't all fit then I guess she will have to get Holden germs in the Commodore.

If it's just the one kid, then I see no reason why I couldn't continue with the AE102 - it has a big boot for it's size, the back seat is reasonably roomy and access is decent. Two baby seats would be a problem, but once they grow up then two boosters wouldn't be an issue at all.

Hell, when I was a kid our "family" car was a brand new 1984 KB Laser, and that was an upgrade from a 2-speed KE10 Corolla (me, being the second baby, was the cause of the upgrade/upsize). That took 2 parents and two kids in childs seats/boosters + stuff in the boot to a lot of places, but got sold in '96 and replaced with a Camry, mainly for extra touring ability (SXV10 Camry has close to _the_ biggest boot I have ever seen outside of a station-wagon)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Hiro, those AE102's are pretty big. Would have to have as much room or more in them than the earlier camry's.

Packaging has gotten a lot better over the years, also small cars have gotten a lot bigger. LOL, the EH holden I had which would have been considered a large aussie family car in its' the time, would have been much the same size (and weight) as the AE92/nova sedan we had for a bit.

Had a AE10x hatch. Problem with them is that the child restraint bolts to the panel below the tailgate, making boot space limited. two in there would have been impossible.

Wagon rule IMHO. They're like the Tardis. Cheap Commo wagons are a really good option.

Currently have an 03 DiD Pajero for me, and a Mark 5 Golf for Mrs Dwarf. Child restaints on the Golf are on the back of the seat, thus you don't loose boot space. However most hatchs are like that these days.

Just remember if you want to go old school, you usually have to have child restraint points fitted.