The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Who said anything about a 2 door conversion?

I'm using a sedan.

If I wanted a 2 door I have a perfect ae86 shell here, but ae86 are played out overrated heaps of shit.

I think Rick Sendall charges about 120 per cylinder to make custom extractors, he makes collectors too that are an excellent design, most of the older saloon car guys use him.

Members dont see this ad

Not to mention that the pistons are ceramiced and that means more heat being fired out the extractors in the first place.

Oh yeah it's fairly cool stuff.

Who is coating the pistons? Do they do it in house?

I've seen some pretty crazy coating technology coming out of the states lately. Especially the stuff for pistons for Alusil(spelling?) bore engines. Eg. Porsche inline turbo 4 (944) and Honda s2000 stuff.

Stu.

Edited by kickn5k

so whens the intake going to get welded?

I'm a bit short of time so I might get Sendall to weld it if he's good with Aluminium alloy. otherwise I have 3 other people keen to do it but I just don't have the time to have it done right now.

I'm towing the cut over to Ricks workshop in 2 weeks to have the headers made and the oil pickup extension done, so that might be the perfect opportunity to have it all done.

I will have the threads tapped on my good motor for the engine mounts while its at the engine shop having the pistons fitted.

Might have them machine the clearance for my starter too.

Yeah Ive gone from having no work to having more than I can possibly do.

I have 2 shops to build and put in One is in Sydney so theres 3 days gone to fit it, essentially with very little help, as well as a full kitchen to design, build and fit, a whole house to quote for next year, and a bathroom that needs to be finished by the end of this week. Once I get through the next 2 weeks I should be ok.

Coming out the other side of this work cycle I should be doing ok, but need to make the hay while the sun is shining. :dance:

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Could any gains be made coating the chambers and exhaust ports

with heat proof coatings and then going higher compression?

I seriously doubt you could justify the cost compared to the 1 maybe 2kw it would make.

Before I get flamed YES we have done back to back tests!

Stu.

Its not all about power.

If things get less hot then you can run tighter tolerances.

Things will have an extended lifespan during repetitive hard use.

Edit, and the cost is minimal.

Competition coatings charge 80 a piston to ceramic the tops and low friction coat the skirts.

Embee charges 50 a piston in the states.

My diff gears cost 150to do. My top cover was only 150 to ceramic coat.

Its not a lot of money, people have spent much more to gain less.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Its not all about power.

If things get less hot then you can run tighter tolerances.

Things will have an extended lifespan during repetitive hard use.

Edit, and the cost is minimal.

Competition coatings charge 80 a piston to ceramic the tops and low friction coat the skirts.

Embee charges 50 a piston in the states.

My diff gears cost 150to do. My top cover was only 150 to ceramic coat.

Its not a lot of money, people have spent much more to gain less.

No your right. Although I didn't say there wasn't a benefit of doing the head. I just answered the question of would you see a reasonable power increase in doing it. And IMO i don't believe it would make a big difference in making power.

Longevity yes I would imagine so. Big difference.

Now seeing as this is the thread to air all the cool ideas for you. I`ve got some links on stuff that I would definatlly consider if building a banger N/A setup(with any engine)

http://www.williamsmotowerx.net/valves.htm

some cool dimple back valves increase power/torque. From what i`ve heard they can do your own valves.

This is what id recomend for cranks,camshafts,diff and gearbox gears etc.

http://www.xtremefinishing.com/Tech1.htm

I`ve seen both of these mods work really well. The isotropic finishing especially increases engine life.

Stu.

Edited by kickn5k