The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

Engine dyno. Engine is in a circuit race boat.

The engine was a 350 sb chev. Saw most increase from the manifolds both inlet and exhaust 15hp Then did the chambers. Made 7hp with the chambers done. Not all that much BUT he swears buy it. I reckon you would see the biggest increase power wise buy doing the chamber and the exhaust ports too.

I'd still do it for longevity. Well I am doing it(chambers) just for a bit of detonation resistance. I don't need it for power I've got boost.

I'm not against it don't get me wrong. Its just I believe you need to get the exh manifold, chamber and exh port to get maximum benefit(power wise). I'd also just do the manifolds just to drop bay temps.

Stu.

P.S that's going by the fact that "little red spirit" is getting the pistons done. That is a big YES from me.

Edited by kickn5k

Its just I believe you need to get the exh manifold, chamber and exh port to get maximum benefit(power wise)

so thats a yes to my earlier post :rolls:

I can even see durability as a power gain.

4-5hp lost as heat is a fair bit of heat that

can soften a good head over time.

Well a race engine is a short term proposition no matter what you do, id see the coatings as a way to prolong the healthy life in harsh conditions. If your motor goes good late in the season you will have an advantage.

That being said, a 2azfe is not a race engine, not without a lot more work than I plan to do.

I have a mate who used to be an engine reconditioner for Repco about 15 years ago, that frequently rebuilds engines to this day. He is going to help me pull the engine down and reassemble it with the pistons and show me a few tricks along the way.

He keeps telling me to build a hot head to go with the higher comp bottom end, but with a new stock head I'd rather use that for now.

I will most likely get a second hand head in the longer term and slowly port that and save up for oversize valves and a set of BC stage 3 camshafts and valve springs with Ti retainers etc. Probably wont get Ti valves as Ive been doing some reading and they seem to burn away over time. Stainless might be the go. Its all down the track anyhow.

For now I need to focus on headers, belt arrangement, intake, wires, ecu and a tune.

I'm confused with Ti valves having not done any research on them in the durability area.

Is the alloy used for Ti, inconel? cause if the right type of inconel is used like on

turbine wheels in turbo, it should last a long time and suffer no oxidation like pure

Ti or mostly Ti does which is coated in all engine parts made from it.

I supposed thermal coated stainless with pocketed undersides would be good too and maybe

with smaller diameter stems if not already 7mm? This is an often used practice for less

inertia in valves but I'm sure Toyota already has done this?

I'm extremely impressed with the amount of R&D you are putting into the whole process, its not something common these days and I believe you will be a pioneer of this conversion, followed by a heap of other in the years to come.

I'm looking at 4cylinder engine options to fit to an early 4 cylinder torana (TA) and was considering a 4AGTE, however with the added torgue and ability to remain N/A and still make power at sensible speeds, I'm seriously liking this conversion more and more.

Id be interested in pictures of your starter/bellhousing setup if you ever get a chance (and don't mind sharing)

Keep up the good work.

Chris.

Hello, no, not the last 2 weeks, I actually have some work to do. lol. :dance: :lolcry:

But I am looking to have the manifolds made soon so I can finish work on it in the holidays, I have a feeling December wont be quite as bad as Novemeber, but will have to wait and see.

I'm still waiting for the Custom Pistons to be made, and shipped over.

• 3 weeks later...

Need to source a headgasket to suit standard 88.5 mm bore. Also wondering if I should reuse the near new rod bolts or change them. Opinions? Can any of my Toyota homies help out? :lolcry:

Are you looking for a Toyota homie to help you with cheaper parts? If so I can probably help you out.