The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

Been wondering what other little things are worth doing while the car is apart. I will probably have my starter overhauled if it needs it. I see from my photos that I have some rust around the clutch master cylinder. Makes me wonder if its not worth just reinforcing that area. I would like to get the cleanest most precise feeling clutch I can and I feel it could help since its a pretty floppy bit of rusty sheet metal. Its going to need touching up anyhow.

Now that makes me think about reinforcing the area around the brake master cylinder bolts also, as that seems more curcial and more likely to flex. I'm not into those master cylinder stoppers as they appear to use the m/c as a stress member, and I feel it shouldnt be. Its far too important for that.

I was thinking about having the engine crossmember stitched up as well, as Ive heard they flex.

Is it worth doing more bracing for the steering rack mounts? Or any other areas in particular. I don't want to go too crazy seam welding and ruin the original of the look of the chassis.

Any ideas? I'm especially interested in the opinions of people who have rallied or driven the ke/ae series really hard for a long time and made a chassis last.

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Ill be using a booster, its a street car.

I finally have some sort of an update. My fabricator located a wheel well for me, so I drove up to petrie and met an ae86 owner called Josh.

IMAG0167_zpsvlhvzulj.jpg

I also got some beat up old trims to restore so I will actually have some door cards.

IMAG0169_zpsvmccwdqm.jpg

When your rear end is rocking horse poo, its nice to have a spare one.

IMAG0168_zpshg9mzr0i.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pics or ban

I'm excited. This thing is awesome, and the level of detail is insane. Nicely done sir.

Thanks mate. Its been a while since Ive seen it but I'm loving how it looks now. Ive already arranged Medicine Man to pop over next saturday and organise the wiring of the car. I'm pumped!

I'm stoked on the exhaust and headers. Full custom mandrel bent from front to back, over diff, super neat looking. I'm going to finish off the systems one by one and get it back to ricks for one or two minor things after the rest is together. Rick has held off fitting the A pillar bars because he wants the trim in first and the foot appeared to land right in front of the gas pedal. We will se how the car looks when its all back together I suppose.

I need to fit fuel lines, wiring, plumb the radiator up, connect the fuel system, finish the idle control manifold up, fabircate an intake box. Put the door on, fit the hatch and adjust as needed, quite a lot really. At least I can do it now I have it back!

Custom radiator mounts

IMAG0279_zpsm5j4mtj8.jpg

A slightly more complete engine bay

IMAG0278_zpsrgyoku77.jpg

The main hoop and rear legs are permanent welded and sikaflexed in. The bolts are really for show.

IMAG0277_zpsyqryzvot.jpg

IMAG0276_zps9r7ph2i8.jpg

The nicely repaired boot floor:

IMAG0275_zpsy1bije48.jpg

Rick does amazing headers and amazing prices on them, Ill never buy off the shelf ones again.

IMAG0273_zpsvpuy02jk.jpg

IMAG0272_zps9yarj4g3.jpg

IMAG0271_zpstkcdh8yo.jpg

IMAG0270_zpsn3jaxvmi.jpg

IMAG0267_zpszcftwkex.jpg

IMAG0266_zpsqij189rs.jpg

IMAG0265_zpsmuym5jc7.jpg

IMAG0264_zpsaxwr02an.jpg

I can also higly reccomend Mark at Best Rate Towing: 0411 315 228. Very good prices and service, tell em matt with the sprinter sent ya.

So tell me what you guys think!

Except the 2azfe has the same firing order as 4age 1342, and the headers are out of phase! Never mind, I called Ricky and he said don't stress Ill swap em over no worries. He says he looked it up and saw other done that way so he assumed it was right, and copied, rather than actually finding the firing order and doing it his own way. Bit of a ʞ©$ɟ up really. ʞ©$ɟ! More towing, more delays and more BS for me.

lol. Yeah a bit upsetting, I will point out the workmanship is great and hes fixing it for nothing. I wish he would have asked me though. Old guys + internet = failure I guess.

I'm still going to push on and fit all the other systems. It wont really hold me up, it was going back to ricks for some finer points later anyhow. Its just a frustration to have your feeling of progress truncated after the fact. :osama: