The Off-Topic Thread

rian

My thoughts have included: Subaru Liberty wagon, Toyota Hilux crew cab with canopy (petrol, diseasal, not fussed), I've even looked at Volvo wagons in a different light now. :P

/end rambling

Your thoughts/suggestions?

2nd on the Hi-Lux. My old man has had a few of them now. Brilliant.

A mate of mine has a petrol Navara, and it's a pretty good gadget too. It's got just over 500thousand kays on it and still going strong.

Not too sure about the Subaru, I've always liked the Liberty wagons, my boss has a sweet one. But apparently it goes through a bit of juice. And it's comment I've heard before about the Subaru flat 4, bit thirsty.

Members dont see this ad

chaser FTW! R34 GTST? mx73/83 cressida

once you go jap you never go back!

That may be true, but I seriously doubt I could fit as much into an R34 GTS-T as I do into my hatchback. :D I know I'm eliminating a lot of the car market with the "No Holden/Ford" thing, I just refuse to own one. Even if someone gave me a Commodore wagon, I'd swap it for a fishtank. :wink:

Hilux ftw.

2nd on the Hi-Lux. My old man has had a few of them now. Brilliant.

A mate of mine has a petrol Navara, and it's a pretty good gadget too. It's got just over 500thousand kays on it and still going strong.

Not too sure about the Subaru, I've always liked the Liberty wagons, my boss has a sweet one. But apparently it goes through a bit of juice. And it's comment I've heard before about the Subaru flat 4, bit thirsty.

I've heard the same things about the Subaru engines, also that they tend to develop a bit of carbon build-up in the head/intake manifold? Little things like that I can live with, would prefer not to have but can live with.

The Hilux has a lot going for it, none of this jacked up, massive mud-tyred, UHF aerial BS in the suburbs for me though. The Navara's a good thought too, they're about the physically largest vehicle I'd like (along with the Hilux), the Subaru appealed as it's less like a truck & can still do the job.

This is why I've started looking 8 months in advance. :lol:

Edited by carbonboy

i was VERY keen to buy a chaser a few months ago.

but a manual one is just soooooo much more expensive than an auto one. and even conversions would cost around 3000-4000 by the time you did it completely. (auto has no LSD either)

give it a few yrs and i might get one, pretty sweet car, gotta love that J motor.

That may be true, but I seriously doubt I could fit as much into an R34 GTS-T as I do into my hatchback. :D I know I'm eliminating a lot of the car market with the "No Holden/Ford" thing, I just refuse to own one. Even if someone gave me a Commodore wagon, I'd swap it for a fishtank. :wink:

I've heard the same things about the Subaru engines, also that they tend to develop a bit of carbon build-up in the head/intake manifold? Little things like that I can live with, would prefer not to have but can live with.

The Hilux has a lot going for it, none of this jacked up, massive mud-tyred, UHF aerial BS in the suburbs for me though. The Navara's a good thought too, they're about the physically largest vehicle I'd like (along with the Hilux), the Subaru appealed as it's less like a truck & can still do the job.

This is why I've started looking 8 months in advance. :lol:

You really limit your choices with the towing thing, Hilux is about the best option, you wouldnt want to tow a racecar and trailer with anything like a chaser, liberty or skyline. They arent heavy enough to safely tow anything more than a light trailer and I'd say their towing performance would be less than impressive (the last thing you want to be doing when towing is driving around at revs or on boost the whole time)

How about an Isuzu? lol

the last thing you want to be doing when towing is driving around at revs or on boost the whole time

Word. My brother towed a commodore + car trailer with his turbo Liberty from near Brisbane to Byron Bay and was pretty much on boost the whole way, used like 4 tanks of fuel or something ridiculous :blinks:

i was VERY keen to buy a chaser a few months ago.

but a manual one is just soooooo much more expensive than an auto one. and even conversions would cost around 3000-4000 by the time you did it completely. (auto has no LSD either)

give it a few yrs and i might get one, pretty sweet car, gotta love that J motor.

You positive about the diff.....?

You really limit your choices with the towing thing, Hilux is about the best option, you wouldnt want to tow a racecar and trailer with anything like a chaser, liberty or skyline. They arent heavy enough to safely tow anything more than a light trailer and I'd say their towing performance would be less than impressive (the last thing you want to be doing when towing is driving around at revs or on boost the whole time)

How about an Isuzu? lol

Like carrying 4 adults, towing won't happen all the time but it will happen. The car on the trailer will be sub-950kgs, car trailers are...what...about 700kgs? :hmm:

Good point about having to work the motor hard, ability to tow confortably is the point. Isuzu as in Isuzu D-Max/Holden Rodeo? I reckon I could live with that! :wink:

Hilux, Navara, D-Max, Trition, I've got myself a ballpark. :yes:

Like carrying 4 adults, towing won't happen all the time but it will happen. The car on the trailer will be sub-950kgs, car trailers are...what...about 700kgs? :hmm:

Mates of ours are in the same boat with being on the hunt for a vehicle that can seat 4 adults comfortably on long trips and tow a car trailer with AU falcon race car (for speedway)

With everything they need to take for a nights racing their looking at something around 3 ton (spares, tires, toolboxes, jacks, etc, etc)

The first vehicle they checked out was the v240 dual cab 4x4 cause a couple of other racers use them and have nothing bad to say about them, apart from the stock power to weight ratio. The only reason our mates dropped the GW is their maximum braked tow rating is 2.25 ton. But their still looking at it cause they can grab a second trailer for the commodore that can tow the extras.