Holden Moving Offshore

Well, after years of pouring our tax money into the two giant multi-nationals, the first is kicking the Govt in the head and moving anyway.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/next-commodore-may-be-last-locally-made-20111103-1mwdy.html

The engineers who design Holden cars say the next model Commodore due in 2014 might be the last created in Australia

Members dont see this ad

In a profit driven world and customers always going for the cheapest option, I am not surprised at all.

This is why Australian products are going down the drain. Everyone says "Save the Aussie brand!" but then in the other hand

go and buy something Chinese for a third of the cost and the same quality. This is why Australian industry is going down the gurgler.

Now with the excellent carbon tax is like the silver bullet to home grown industry. Well done Aussies!

Anything to fire someone up! The move is definitely a money saving move, which is why I went in that direction.

They are not moving out of oz, more so that design is not going to be done in Aus. I can tell you more than 300 engineers will loose their jobs.

And in other news, 99.5% of people employed within the Australian auto industry will be completely unaffected.

Now all the govt need do is reduce the ludicrous taxes and tariffs on imported vehicles so more of us can afford the higher quality cars built overseas, rather than feeding MY money into propping up the locally built garbage.

Serious.

Line up the same trim/spec level Commodore, Failcon, 5 series, E class, Audi A6, VW Passat etc etc next to each other with a similar RRP, which one would you buy?

Hell with lower import duties, it'd be cost effective for the Japanese manufacturers to start selling all the GOOD stuff over here. Crown, Mark X, Skyline sedan/coupe...

Serious.

Line up the same trim/spec level Commodore, Failcon, 5 series, E class, Audi A6, VW Passat etc etc next to each other with a similar RRP, which one would you buy?

Factoring in service, running and spare parts cost. Its an F6 for me. Bloke next doors Audi s6 Is a lemon. BMW rape you big time on parts. You'd struggle to get more than 2 adults in a passat.

Stu.

i just over heard someone here discussing their 2004 volvo.

parts are INCREDIBLE through the dealers.

$1500 for a new fuel pump....$3000 for some electronics box that controls the diff.

as much as agree that the taxes and what not are rediculous on the imported cars, I'm still not sure i would buy anything other than japanese.

the price on european stuff is just soo high in aus, not just the purchase price, but yeah parts and what not.

fix that too, and yeah id consider a euro car.

Factoring in service, running and spare parts cost. Its an F6 for me. Bloke next doors Audi s6 Is a lemon. BMW rape you big time on parts. You'd struggle to get more than 2 adults in a passat.

Stu.

I can't bring myself to buy any new Ford. Seeing them come through work for issues new cars shouldn't have put me off big time. But i suppose Ford isn't the only company who can't engineer a decent car anymore.

A new off the shelf cat and pipe for a FG is just over $1000. Exploder cats $4,500+ Ford parts rape you just as bad just depends if the parts bloke likes you or not.

i just over heard someone here discussing their 2004 volvo.

parts are INCREDIBLE through the dealers.

$1500 for a new fuel pump....$3000 for some electronics box that controls the diff.

as much as agree that the taxes and what not are rediculous on the imported cars, I'm still not sure i would buy anything other than japanese.

the price on european stuff is just soo high in aus, not just the purchase price, but yeah parts and what not.

fix that too, and yeah id consider a euro car.

Yes, we had a MY07 Volvo V50. When it came up needing all 4 discs replaced, along with a few other things, it tipped us over into trading it in. We now have a Forester. I could have sourced everything aftermarket dramatically cheaper, but the car was stil under an extended warranty.

For my 10 year old Renault, I buy virtually anything I have to buy new via the UK, other than basic service items.