The New '86 Finally Arrives

altezzaclub

Shamelessly lifted from Altezzaclub-

TOYOTA UNVEILS NEW '86' SPORTS CAR

Toyota has taken the wraps off its newest sports car, announcing it will be called Toyota 86 or "hachi roku" in its home market, Japan.

The unveiling occurred when Toyota president Akio Toyoda drove a production prototype down the main straight of the Fuji Speedway, south of Tokyo.

Mr Toyoda said the new rear-wheel-drive sports car was all about "waku doki" - a car that creates excitement and gets your heart racing.

"I am very proud of this car," Mr Toyoda said.

"Thank you for the patience of car lovers. They are going to enjoy this car."

The 86 is a rear-wheel-drive car with intuitive handling that embodies the essence of driving enjoyment.

It features the world's first horizontally opposed D-4S engine, combining "boxer" engine technology with Toyota's cutting-edge D-4S direct injection technology.

The engine is installed front mid-ship to create an ultra-low centre of gravity and low inertia. It is the world's only horizontally opposed engine and rear-wheel-drive package.

As a result, the 86 offers fun driving at a level unprecedented in earlier sports cars.

It carries on the spirit of the AE86 Corolla in its aim to be a car that evolves with its owner.

The lightweight and compact rear-wheel-drive platform was designed to achieve superior handling and create the world's smallest mass-production four-passenger sports car (by volume).

The vehicle's newly developed engine delivers exceptional output and torque as well as superior response at low and medium speeds.

The D-4S, with separate twin injectors for both direct injection and port injection, boasts a high compression ratio of 12.5:1. This provides high output and high torque over a wide range of engine speeds and contributes to improved environmental performance.

The engine's redline is 7500rpm with maximum output of 147kW. Even so, the engine achieves fuel efficiency and environmental performance that rivals that of a standard two-litre sedan.

Customers will have the choice of a six-speed manual transmission or a special sports-driving six-speed automatic transmission.

photos & the rest is here-

http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclub/index.php?showtopic=12403&hl=

Members dont see this ad

Call me negative, but i wouldn't lift an eye lid if we, down here in auz-stralia, got a special AUD edition with a 2AZ, Front wheel drive and automatic only.

Seriously, I'm skeptical of what this market will get, until i see one with my own two eyes.

Toyota Australia feels like its run by a joker at the best of times.

the engine looks ok...12.5 compresion ratio, direct injection, 200hp or so in N/A....so that doesnt sound too bad.

so i suspect its got a metric crapload of emissions garbage. It would be a pretty awesome starting base for mods i reckon.

The boxer style engine doesnt seem to bad after owning one for a few months now, but id never want to do serious work on one unless it was out of the car.....nice packaging though to keep the engine lower in the car.

i wonder how much it is like the subaru engines, like every subaru engine is somewhat interchangable (4clr petrol anyway). or has toyota changed it up considerably...

the photos of the car in stocko form, seem to show the rear guards being way over sized for the wheels, almsot a bit...bloated....but thats the new style i suppose. exhibit A:

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Dino%20Dalle%20Carbonare/2011/NOV2011/T86-Preview/AY0F2840.jpg

there is a photo getting around of the car on BBS wheels that makes it look alot better.....

exhibit B:

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Dino%20Dalle%20Carbonare/2011/NOV2011/T86-3/AY0F2805.jpg

I like it.

Its manual, its RWD, its 1200-odd kg, has more power than an MX5, wider track, lower COG, with only a smidge more weight.

And as anyone who has driven an MX5 will tell you (If you haven't, stfu, you know nothing) they're an absolute shit-ton of fun.

This, by all accounts thus far, is better.

I'll be buying one.

tumblr_lvcmrreRGQ1qdk4k3o1_500.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about buying a ~1990 MX5......with a small modification to the gearbox input shaft...a rotary bolts to their gearbox.

The most fun you can have for 5k drive away... Piss the rotary off though you'll spend more time fixing the thing