Jono

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you mean so the tacho is on the left?

Whoops that is what I meant to say. :P

Cheers, I will be painting the car an original ke20 colour eventually so I want a factory look on the gauges. I will put plain seat covers over the recaros too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure after driving the car for a while and getting used to the gearing it becomes more and more unneccessary to look at the tacho, the sound of the engine is usually enough to gauge where in the power band you are. I miss my e30 dash but i'm sure i will cope with the tiny tacho...

Thanks for the comments people,

feel like i'm making progress but its hard juggling time between this project, a girlfriend i'm about to get hitched with and the after hours cash jobs.

Just need:

starter motor

remote brake booster and plumb the lines

work out some bracket for the clutch master cylinder

wallet emptying haltech :lmao:

hey JC , the 20's looking good man , are you going to get the car engineered ? if you are you should think about talking to an engineer soon , reason i say this is cause i'm doing same conversion at the moment into my 25 and i went to see an engineer and he told me any computer that can be reprogrammed or altered is illegal , just check it out before you layout $1300 on a haltech

have you done your tailshaft yet? if yes where did you get it done ?

keep up the good work mate , Lindsay

yeah, i was lucky to get the modified tailshaft with the engine and gearbox of my mate. i will try and find out where he got it done. I'm sure you could take measurements and take it to a driveshaft/engineering shop.

I will be getting it engineered. I think adjustable computers would be illegal due to emission laws, but i have been pointed to a relaxed engineer.

I don't agree with that law, why can't the police/rta just do a smog test if they are suss on your car? I just thought a haltech would easier than messing around trying to get all the wiring loom, connectors and stock ECU. Not to mention being able to squeeze more power out of the 4age.

However, the computer is the last thing on my list so if someone has an ENTIRE ecu and loom for a small port 4age lying around let me know how much you want for it...

See if you can find a stuffed factory ecu some where and gut it, mount your aftermarket ecu inside the box and try to make the plug coming out look factory, them mount it in the passenger kick panel so its just visable, so when its noticed by the engineer, he/she will most likley just go stright past it as a standard install.

I ended up getting a standard ECU and wiring harness with lots of sensors today from SSS automotive. Most of the wiring is pretty obvious but I will have to get my hands on some wiring diagrams to check a few things.

I'm at the point in my life where i really want to save money (engagement ring has been ordered and honeymoon fund has begun) and keep this project under $6K.

I know i won't be getting much help from mates from this point on as they all have haltechs in there ke20s... :P

If anyone has any advice regarding the use of stock ECUs please let me know!