Who Can Weld A Diff Centre?

jordan101

Ok, before you guy's start flaming me I'd like to explain myself.

I'd like to take my car to a few track days and learn how really drive a car sideways in a safe environment. I'm from the northern suburbs of melbourne and the car ( RT142 corona) will be pulled off rego in a few weeks.

I know welded diff's are dodgy and break easily but I'm not about to go and spend big bucks on 2 ways etc at this stage on a first year apprentice wage.

I've researched the internet and asked around for people who can actually weld a diff and no luck so would any of you guys know of somebody that can weld my diff in melbourne?

Members dont see this ad

actually, that wouldn't likely be the case. Welding material with such high carbon content isn't that common. Find an engine builder who does vintage engine work, they will have a preheat/postheat setup and the right rods because they will weld a lot of cast iron heads and blocks. where in melbourne are you, theres a guy in ringwood that i know has done a few Flathead fords and might be able to sort you out/

Ask around for someone who's done Cast Iron and you'll be fine.

Philbey: I'm in coburg but I'd be happy to drive out to ringwood if he can do it. If possible can you PM me his number or would you be able to ask him if it's not too much trouble. In the meantime I'll be looking for welding engineers I may already know of one fingers crossed!

Jono.C: I don't have the equipment to do something like that and I'm a fair distance from tasmania haha

Edited by jordan101

Mate welding diffs is piss easy if you know how to weld.

Drop the crownwheel & carrier assembly out and give it to a boilermaker. Any engineering shop should be able to do it. Just give it to them complete and tell them it has to go back the same way it came apart, with no slag/splatter in the axle splines or the mating faces. once its done pull it apart again and religiulously clean everything and double check for splatter. If thats all good reassemble and fill with oil. then robert will be your mums sibling.

• Upvote 1

the only diff i have been involved with was welded in the back yard of some guys house for a 6 pack with a stick welder and a few random bolts thrown in for good measure. was in my mates ca18det 86.

dropped it off in the morning, picked it up 3hrs later, and one hell of a mess was present inside. being the inteligent mechanically minded people, we just threw the centre back in and hoped for the best.

but damn it never gave up the ghost, took some abuse that diff.

Yeh these guys make good points; no need to apply a bunch of science to a dodgy bit of work anyway.... I suppose the better it's done, with pre and post heating, the less likely it will explode.

But jam enough junk in there it won't matter anyway, it'll be your axles that snap.

For interest sake, the joint was Speed Works on Molan St Ringwood.

Your worry should be the fact the diff gears are carbon steel so it's not as easy as getting your mate Bazza and his $300 piece of shit inverter and just packing the ʇ~~ɔ up with filler rod, but the blokes on here make a good point, no need to put so much science into a dodgy job anyways,my advice is find an engineer shop with welders that have experience in welding cast like the dude above me mentioned...if the dudes in the shop look real old you should be right hahahah or just don't stress and throw ur mate Bazza half a slab hahahah it'll hold up for long enough that's my $0.02 anyways..