What Got You Into 'rollas?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Sprinters, but never really thought much about Corollas. I knew most of the models, simply because I try and learn about all models of all cars. Then one came up for sale (Lola) and I bought her, and wanted to learn even more and get to know some people with similar tastes. As a result of joining RollaClub I've learned of some great reasons to love Corollas, such as the ones that Tiger mentioned, plus the sheer number of modifications you can do to them with relative ease.

I was sick of the whole owning Fords for the last 6 years.

So one day an ex mate of mine and me decided to do a project car and since he was a Holden man and I was a Ford man at the time, we decided that we would purchase a jap car and my old blue KE30 corolla came up for sale, found out it had too much damage to be fixed and i then stripped it for parts.

post-600-1145711834_thumb.jpg

I then bought another car off someone off rollaclub for $250 to swap the parts over into which was my Red KE55 sedan with a white racing stripe down the left-hand side of the bonnet. That car was then smacked in the l/h rear quarter panel while i was up visiting a mate in Townsville, so i knocked the dent out of that as best as i could and sold it.

post-600-1145711922_thumb.jpg

And now I own my KE36 Panel Van. I have a brake upgrade that will be ready to be fitted in a months time along with pedders progressive rate springs for the front.

post-600-1145712027_thumb.jpg

Why did i choose a corolla? Cos Faulksy was the person I got in contact with about an LSD conversion that he'd done to his KE30 6 years ago. He had a 4AGZE powered AE82 hatch and that got me hooked.

Since then he's had a 4AGTE-powered AE82 and that thing hammers. I have the craving for power and that craving can only be satisfied in a small-bodied car.

good topic.

i got given a ke70 for free with a whole shit load of cancer. and being the miser i am, i decided to rebuild it...

all pics can be found here...http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/arowland2/

in the folders and stuff

that was a 9 month rebuild and was gonna be a thrash about and sell. but then i learnt about them, and how great these little beasts are. so with no other ideas on what i wanted to drive i decided to try make this thing super duper fast.

so i ended buying the ke70 with a 1ggte which is costing me alot of money for a snotty old corolla :P

so yeah. i got into it buy being given one for free, and i just fell in love with my baby delores

Edited by love ke70

I got my 1st rolla when i was 11, It was a 77 (i think) panelvan, i don't really know much about it as i sold it when i was still young but i did all the interior black with grey inserts, i had newly covered black vinyl seats and i got a rear centre console from a UC torana and and made that my handbrake surround, for my 1st stereo i stuck 2 8" subs (oh yeah pumpin, pfff) behind the seats in these factory 8 inch holes (have no idea why it had them and the werent cut as they were lipped), i then acuired a corolla coupe (can't remember waht model) for parts and so on but then i made a mistake and moved to a commodore, But now i have had my seca for 2 years and 2 months and i don't intend to sell it and i have had another 2 secas in that period but have only have the one other which is a twinky.

Edited by Trev

Nick did :P

I love toyotas, as I own a sera, and I would own a corolla if they had such cool doors lol.

When I started up my forum, Nick was starting rollaclub, so we were constantly in contact in regards to that, and he never stopped talkin about rollaclub so I had to come around and see what all the fuss was about :P

Edited by MissSydneyCruising

Cheap, RWD, look good, parts are cheap. Ill put it another way.

Pick up a ke70 for a few hundred $$$, wack in a 4age/4agze, do brakes etc. for a cheap track car/thrasher/what ever, someone bashes into it, spend another few hundred and start again. Try that with a nissan/mazda etc.

I live on a small farm so i learnt to drive in the paddocks in a ke30.

got my licence.

got a free ke70, rolled that. pulled the dents out and and replaced the bent axels and drove it for another year. SO much fun.

joined the oldcorollas yahoo group, bought a ke30 started to get into modifying.

buy a rolla for less than $500, do some mods, drag a modern car worth over 10 times a much off the lights and your hooked.

got obsessed with the ke1x series and started collecting parts.

bought my ke11 and just recently a ke10.

because we have a fair bit of property i've own a LOT of wrecks

the only corollas i havent owned are ke15/17and ke20's.

but there is still time.

I orginally wanted to learn to drive in a 1968 Chev Impala!! :P

I happened to see a little orange KE30 2dr sedan in a car yard... The impala idea went out the window.... and the rest is history.

Corollas are great coz they are so easy to work on, so straight forward, easy to drive/thrash, and the Toyota Family parts interchangeability (celica/ corona stuff fits) is awesome for modifying them...

GO THE ROLLA!!!!

My first rola was a paddock bomb, i had it from yr 7 at school till i got my Ls in yr 11.

It was an impressive car. It only held water for about ten minutes, so we used to top it up thrash it for about an hour till it conked out from being too hot. We would then walk home while the motor cooled and come back a few hours later and start again. One time we came back and the spark leads had melted from :P the heat. We did this for about 5 yrs. The only thing that killed it was we eventually blew the diff, and couldnt be bothered changing it. :P

Now that is a good reason to own a rola!! You can't kill 'em!! :y:

I got into corollas, because originally when I decided to start speedway, I wanted to race a Datsun Sunny (dattos seem to bogan cars :P), and had no respect for the lil Toyotas... six months down the track, I still hadnt found a Sunny for under $500, decided to go Corolla and within two weeks I had two of the f@$kers for under fiddy bucks!!

Glad I made that decision, Corollas are little weapons of a car, and I'll tell you what... They look shitloads! better than the Datto...

So I guess it was the availability of the cars that got me into it first, and then I was hooked on the cars. I now own three of them :P