Ke70 CS 4K Build

Hey everyone, i have just got myself a 1982 Ke70 toyota corolla CS it has a 4k, also has a ae86 front end and ae86 rear springs and diff has been welded, pretty sure everything else is stock was just looking for a few more power/jdm mods i could do if anyone knew of any from more power to style18685255_1907141732890892_1596096548_n.jpg.e32d79006eb3124c610fb2bfe94beb5a.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Throw away the diff...  just a terrible idea!  otherwise the car looks great, and the AE86 bits are a bonus!

So-

How much power do you want?

How much money do you have to put into it?

How much experience in doing your own mechanical rebuiling do you have?

Those will determine what we suggest.

Take a read through this-

So the big decision is to either dump a couple of grand into the 4K or replace it with a 4AGE.

For style, anything goes.. I like the "quad headlight/chrome bumper on 6x13" rims"  look, but whatever you prefer is the way to go.

anyway sorry, what carb has it got?
what cam has it got
what is its intended use
I understand that budget is not something any of us enthusiasts consider when starting to think about modifications to personalise our ride.
Its more about what we want to achieve with an older vehicle.
id be looking at what might be broken before investing in power. 
Get used to it as a powerless beast and experience its flaws while u haven't spent any money, and include the cost of upgrades to those flaws in your plans for the drivetrain.
That is of course, if it is to be ur daily driver.
In which case, i second altezza, put that diff in the bin

Some of the most fun I've had driving has been in a stock Corolla with a welded diff.

I wouldn't be chasing power out of a 4K. Your money would be better spent on getting the suspension, brakes and tyres in order.

hey thanks guys for the advice, i have a welded diff as i want it as a daily driver but also be able to be able to not just spin single peggaz everywhere, engine is complete stock apart from had a smaller air filter put on, i want a jdm look but still for the car to be nice and tiny ill add some more photos of car soon the only thing ive really done is clean the engine bay up 

18870824_1910327549238977_1190943586_n.jpg

Ok, listen carefully-

Is there any play between the back wheels if you jack up the diff & turn one wheel?? If the diff has been welded properly there should be almost half a turn of one wheel before it picks up the other and turns it.  If there is no play at all then definately throw it away.

You can weld the spider gears to each other in a diff, and it will lock the system like there was no diff at all. That just wants to go straight ahead all the time and forces the tyres to fight with each other and front against rear. Instant understeer everywhere unless you can get the tail to lose traction & slide.

or, you can fill a tooth gap in the spider gear with weld, and then fill the matching teeth in the other gears. That lets the spider gears rotate around until the hit the weld, which gives you one wheel moving without the other and lets the car turn into a corner before it locks the diff.

A much better idea, its what we rally with if we can't afford an LSD. You need that initial turn-in.

But really, there is no substitute for a 4AGE conversion, its like the car should have been produced.  They should never have used the 4K at all, or the 4AC.  So as Ben says above, fix what's broken and just get the suspension, brakes and tyres back up to perfect while you save money for a 4AGE setup.

Get some longer LCAs for the front, and a thicker sway for the rear. Remember it only spins the inside wheel when it rolls, so stop it rolling.  Catch up with some of the Tassie guys and go for a drive in their cars, you'll soon decide what you need to aim for, they have some great stuff down there.

4age's are not the be all and end all. There are plenty of k series out and about that can flog a 4age mine included. And it doesn't cost huge money, be it na or turbo. 

You're completely entitled to your own opinion, just don't make it sound like gospel. 

14 hours ago, Taz_Rx said:

4age's are not the be all and end all. There are plenty of k series out and about that can flog a 4age mine included. And it doesn't cost huge money, be it na or turbo. 

You're completely entitled to your own opinion, just don't make it sound like gospel. 

I 100% agree with this. I've beat many a 4age powered car with my k series and it all up cost me about as much as a 4age conversion would. Each to their own i guess. Taz put it perfectly. 

4K against 4AGE...It would be an uphill battle-  Tommy's KE11 would do it.

You have a side-cam 8valve 1300 trying to chase a twin-cam 16valve 1600, chalk and cheese. You have to nearly double to horsepower, effectively 58bhp against 112bhp.

The problem with the 4K is that it will always be only 1300cc, so you lack the torque, and the 8valve non-crossflow will never be as efficient.

The problem with a 4AGE is that it needs a new gearbox and a propshaft at least, and usually a new diff too. But its stock and reliable and smooth..

Both will cost plenty...

It comes down to how much you want to spend, how much power over standard you seek and how much time off the road modifying.

If you want to reach about 55-60 horsepower at the wheels, you can manage this with a well behaved street 4k and not spend big dollars or time.

Either way, as all k series and 4ages are old now, best to freshen up with an engine rebuild. 

Ive managed to get 107bhp out of the 4k I just built, and just took the head off to address some things I missed. Engine is built for track racing but still road drivable as I don't have trailer transport.

On an everyday road Corolla, a 5k or if you are prepared to upgrade the driveline a 7k are much better for torque. As above 4ages end up being a nice street engine if done properly, but costs and time add up and possible engineering requirements (depending on your state regs)

Edited by 7000rpm