Q's Regarding 3k

Trev

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

don't know how hard my 3K has rev trev as I have no tacho. But too quick you said ur tacho is done bodgerly if it is on the coil and held firm with no other wires crossed can't see why even if it looked messy isnt readign the right RPM unless gauge is out or shit it's self..lol

Cameron

Hi,

don't know how hard my 3K has rev trev as I have no tacho. But too quick you said ur tacho is done bodgerly if it is on the coil and held firm with no other wires crossed can't see why even if it looked messy isnt readign the right RPM unless gauge is out or shit it's self..lol

Cameron

I don't know what the ppm is of a 4k so i just set it to 1.5 i think and it worked ok.

Hi,

Cameron

Set your tacho to 6 or 8 when on a 4 cylinder and it will read alot more revs.

• 2 weeks later...

umm, it will read less

4 sparks per rpm

if set to an 8 cyl motor its expecting 8 sparks per rpm

so your poopy k motor is doing 6000 rpm. this equals 400 sparks per second

a v8 at 6000 rpm would produce 800 sparks per second

therefore the tacho if hooked to poopy K motor but set to 8cyl will read 3000 rpm when real engine speed is 6000.

Been there done that.

My 3K had a 7K change mark, but would go out to 9K, but not something I did everyday, funnily enough. Wouldn't go any harder than that as the valve springs wouldn't let it. Readings as per an Autometer Tacho. Pulled 8K cheerfully on the dyno.

A 4AG should be able to crap 7K in all day everyday. 9K I believe on a decent one is a very realistic achievement.

Build them right and they don't break.

Edited by Redwarf

I have had a throttle linkage jam whilst my foot was meshed against the floor. As I switched the engine off, I saw the tacho falling from 12,000RPM. The only damage was 3 snapped valve springs. Actually it was only the inner springs, as they were aftermarket dual valve springs. That was in my 5K.

My 5K now happily goes to 8000RPM.

My first engine was a standard 3K. Not a day went past where that motor didnt see 7000+RPM with a 32/36 weber. It was still fine when i pulled it out after many years of abuse. Never burnt any oil either.

Edited by kangaroosa