Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Matt'S 7K Ke30

Featured Replies

Does the gearbox have any crossmember mounting points or it mounted off the side of the box?

  • Replies 253
  • Views 262k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Unsure of offset but in a 15 x 7 they only make two offsets and they are the datto offset.   Here are some pics from today.            

  • silverra23
    silverra23

    I had those caps made in the machine shop where I worked at the time as a bit of a thank you for matt's help with my cars.   We had some ideas of doing a production run back then but now I rather li

Posted Images

Pretty sure big Ted's running one as well... Another twin carb fed 7k monster :lol: but I'm not 100%

 

looking great too Matt, should make it nicer to drive not having to worry about when you need to get the shovel and brush out :(

 

JP

  • Author

Cuzzo - Because it is an actual townace gearbox the mount from factory is actually at the top of the extension housing and no mounting points are on the bottom of this particular housing.

 

Si - No problems mate, when it's all done i'll put together what i did to carry out the conversion. I am trying to take pics as i go along :lol:

 

JP - Peace of mind and reliability should be nice. Should be able to handle what i throw at it!

 

In terms of updates there will most likely be little progress this week as we are short staffed at work :( Meaning little time for side projects aka my car.

I should get sloth to check what the box is behind his 7k. I know the shifter position was back further than the original ke55 4spd. we only get about 5400rpm max but is very torquey. Great to see another twin carb 7k. I felt a bit of a loner when I did Sloths in 2005. Our mechanic said we could probably lower the diff to 3.9 for a better top end.

  • Author

Your gearbox is most probably a ke70 5 speed as the shifter was further back on them.

 

UPDATE!

 

Got my new clutch yesterday and ta22 clutch master cylinder.

 

Got a shetload of work done today :dance: Gearbox is pretty much mounted up and we have now sorted out the crossmember. Ended up making one out of flat bar instead of modding the old one as this will give much more ground clearance.

 

Also begun work on part two of the upgrade. R31 diff ;)

 

Here are some photos.

 

Crossmember mounting...

 

post-2153-1276934464_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934496_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934312_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934348_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934377_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934403_thumb.jpg

 

post-2153-1276934434_thumb.jpg

 

R31 diff deconstruction...

 

post-2153-1276934530_thumb.jpg

 

Mmmm 28 spline....

 

post-2153-1276934569_thumb.jpg

 

Clutch

 

post-2153-1276934607_thumb.jpg

 

 

Still to do:

 

- Modify pedal box and firewall to carry out hydraulic conversion

- Remove dummy fitted gearbox and fit clutch and clean up all the bits and pieces

- Get a 3.7/3.9 center for the diff and LSD to suit

- Get diff shortened and mounting brackets fitted

- Custom tailshaft to suit all the above

- Work out the braking situation (will cross that bridge when i come to it)

 

That's all for this weekend.

 

Matt.

Matt, you should have a 3.89 or 3.7 ratio diff already being an R31. We bought a manual R31 diff for my mates chev and one for my wagon, both 28 spline being skyline not pintara riffs and both 3.89 ratio, there not the same as rb powered commodores with there 3.45 ratio.

 

Works looking great mate, you won't kill anything now!

 

Jarrad

  • Author

Should be ok ratio but i'm yet to check mate. I can't wait to stop braking driveline components.

Should be ok ratio but i'm yet to check mate. I can't wait to stop braking driveline components.

 

I think you can use the crown wheel and pinion from a pintara which has a 4.11 ratio. Pretty sure thats where mine came from.

Given that you don't have a lack of torque, the 3.89 or 3.7 might be the better choice anyway.

 

Make sure you get the R31 Callipers rebuilt regardless. I had mine seize on last week from corrosion in the handbrake mechanism.

 

Nice choice on the clutch brand too. Is it a HD organic?

I have an Xtreme billet flywheel and HD Organic clutch in the Rolla. Good bit of gear. Will wait and see how it holds up behind a Bridgey.

Edited by kangaroosa

  • Author

That was the plan all along. There was no way i was going to put a 4.11 back in. Plus we have to combat the close ratios in the townace gearbox. I know all the troubles sorrounding R31 rear calipers, as we still service a few of them. I'm going to order the caliper kits next week and do them myself, definitely not taking any chances on calipers that have been sitting around for ages!

 

Clutch is a HD organic like yours, it was recomended to us by the clutch/brake people we use. Glad to hear someone else is happy with theirs.

So u end up getting another rear housing for the gearbox?

  • Author

Nah mate, used existing one as the shifter hole lined up perfect. I'm not sure how well you can make out from the photos but you can see two tubes/pipes going from the extension housing bolts to the gearbox mount that is also attached to the back of the gearbox via two L-shaped brackets back to back.

Good progress Matt, I didn't realise you were going for the diff upgrade too. Top stuff ! ;)

Does the R31 diff require shortening to fit ? What's the width difference between it and your standard diff ?

Cheers

So when will she be coming hillclimbing? :jamie:

went down to matts work place today. omfg! is all i can say about his rolla's. you think they look good in pictures wait till you see them in real life :jamie:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.