3rd Annual Great Ocean Rd Cruise!

TheNOBBLER

Just keep in mind the 10+ hour drive us SA members had to do when we went to Apollo Bay last year.

Wasnt exactly a fun drive and I had to recover with an afternoon nap and people yelling and talking around the tent n shizzle.

The only reason we thought we'd go back to Apollo Bay was to give the SA guys more of a drive again. I don't mind driving further tho

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only reason we thought we'd go back to Apollo Bay was to give the SA guys more of a drive again. I don't mind driving further tho

id be more worried about the noisy when trying to sleep bit "drowsy drivers die sign"

Alrighty, reason Apollo bay was thought of once again was Raven wanting to do the ocean rd again. Not pointing the finger in a bad way, just giving reason for the idea. Mick, how much of the ocean rd would you like to do again?

Portland was good, it gave us a cool day trip to the beach and other sites, had the carnival for us all and has some pretty good places to eat etc... and had great mugs at the pub to, I have one! Only things I personally have against Portland would have to be no surf... not that I would surf but it makes for alot more fun in the water, no close (walking distance) beaches for us all either so no beach babes to look at :eatlead: Also, The SA crew didnt see any of the ocean rd at all which was a shame, it is the Great Ocean rd cruise after all!

SeptemberSquall, would much appreciate a link to your run if there is one? Would be great to get a look at another GOR run that has gone down well. We easily managed Portland in a day so Port Campbell would be easy as you say.

I'm pretty sure all of the Vic members are more than happy to make more of a trip, we had a ball along the way!

Teddy, nice work on Google earth!

Whats does everyone think? I would love for everyone to throw up there throughts, would be much easier!

Cheers,

JP

I'll ahve to discuss with Budowski (Matt) a travel plan (like last time I drove that far for the trip) if we go to Apollo Bay.

I liked Apollo Bay, just the drive sucked balls like you wouldn't believe but that could be because of the South-East Detour.

Also have to plan an early morning depature so we hit the fuel stations when they are open and not have to wait for an hour and a half.

If you're cool with that Matt, we should meet up and I'll run you through a travel plan and we can put down suggestions etc?

I'll ahve to discuss with Budowski (Matt) a travel plan (like last time I drove that far for the trip) if we go to Apollo Bay.

I liked Apollo Bay, just the drive sucked balls like you wouldn't believe but that could be because of the South-East Detour.

Also have to plan an early morning depature so we hit the fuel stations when they are open and not have to wait for an hour and a half.

If you're cool with that Matt, we should meet up and I'll run you through a travel plan and we can put down suggestions etc?

yeah thats cool, anyone else from sa ?

I remember doing one with MCCR yearrrrrrrs ago. That resulted in one of the admins getting drunk on a deckchair on top of a picnic table, with other guys setting off fireworks and everyone almost getting kicked out of the cabins. Looking forward to this run, everytime a meet comes up i bloody miss it!

Recommended programme;

1. PRE-MEET POINT

(for Melbourne boys)

BP Little River

Geelong Road, Little River

TIME - MEET: 9.15AM APPROX

TIME - DEPART: 9.45AM SHARP

BP is halfway between the Ring Road/Geelong Road merge at Brooklyn and the Geelong city limit. There's a BP on each side of the highway, and both of them advertise $6.99 Bacon and Eggs with a banner about fifty times bigger than you. Understandably, there is a heap of truck parking here, so hopefully room for a few battery-powered toyo-boxes. Good place to get 98 octane fuel for the day, and fuel yourself too if you've had no breakfast and you think $6.99 for microwave bacon and eggs is a good deal. Understandably, meet at the outbound-side BP, lol.

2. MAIN MEET POINT

BP Winchelsea Roadhouse

Princess Highway, Winchelsea

TIME - MEET: 10.30AM APPROX

TIME - DEPART: 11.00AM SHARP

There should be 95 octane fuel here, but no promises. If you didn't come from Melbourne, or you were too slow to the premeet point to have time for your bacon and eggs, more greasy roadhouse food is available here. We collect here and work out a basic pecking order for the procession into Lorne.

SPECIAL STAGE ONE

TO: Lorne Pub

There's some long open straight sections across the flats to begin with, nice to settle in and work out who's going to want to cruise faster than another etc. By the time we get to the twisty section at the coastal mountains for the climb and then decent into Lorne, we should have established enough space and enough of a processional order that nobody comes afoul of anyone else.

3. LUNCH MEET POINT

Lorne Pub

Lorne (duh!)

TIME - MEET: (depends on your pace!)

LUNCH: Seated at 12.30 SHARP.

TIME - DEPART: 3PM SHARP.

Meet at Lorne Pub to remedy all troupe members poisoned as a result of their inability to get organised early enough to make breakfast and their consequential consumption of roadhouse plasti-bacon and instant eggs. Seated by 12.30PM, out of the Pub by 2.30 PM, cars rolling at 3PM sharp. Not too many beers yet, the best part is yet to come.

4. SPECIAL STAGE TWO

TO: Apollo Bay

Depart Lorne, hopefully with a better idea of who wants to lead and who wants to follow. The GOR ahead has relatively new sealing in most sections but is double lined (no overtaking) and in most cases only patch-resealed, ie. new shoulders and broken sections filled, not new shoulder-to-shoulder tarmac) and is consequently a little changable. Consider yourself warned. Turnouts are available for slower traffic to yeild approximately every kilometer, but sometimes are missing for a few kilometres, be patient, not crazy about this fact!

Enjoy the Monaco Effect out around Wye River.

Arrive Apollo Bay and collect at a convenient gazeebo in the park near the skate park. Coffee and Bakery is available for human refueling. If you skate, bring your skateboart maybe. Peruse the beach. Collect and depart when desired.

TIME - MEET: 4.30PM APPROX

TIME - DEPART: BY 6.00PM APPROX

5. SPECIAL STAGE THREE

VIA: Skenes Creek

TO: Birregurra

Depart Apollo Bay, returning eastbound along GOR to Skenes Creek (5km east of Apollo Bay). Turn where appropriate and climb the mountain. Best part of the trip, over the mountain and decent back onto the plains to Birregurra via Beech Forest area. Tight corners, short straightaways, meaning good fun at safe speed and also beautiful forest scenery to boot.

6 FINAL MEET POINT

Play Equipment

Main St, Birregurra

Gather about at the playground on the left as just entering Birregurra. Swings and slides abound for weary travellers. There's a trendy eatery there now, dunno if it's any good or even if it'll be open. Never mind. By this stage it'll be about 7.30, tending towards 8+PM, probably darkening before everyone breaks up and filters off. Break up from here to return to your respective points of origin. Princess Highway is a stone throw away, easy cruise back for those who are heading back to Melbourne. A full tank of 98 octane should get most from the BP in Little River to the BP in Little River, remember it's on both sides of the Geelong Road. If you're hungry, there's always the plasti-bacon and microwaved eggs on offer while you refuel the car.