Nanna Supra Ma71

Teddy

So, The story goes along the lines of this.

One day, a little old woman decided to get her usual 6 monthly service on her car. The added note on the repair order was that it would idol a little rough at the lights.

Considering the car would travel 1 return trip a week from home to the golf course on a thursday mid-morning, every week since 91, she must have been pretty switched on to pickup on it! If thats not good enough, try the fact that she was in her early 80's & the genuine rims don't have one cm of gutter rash.

Turns out like most cars with a 7M these days, a simple service is oil, filter, head gasket. This one was no exception. haha.

Long story short, she thought the supra was a little much for her these days, and wanted something more "old person spec". She ended up in a Volvo.

I thought it looked like a nice car, i didnt even work on the thing, hadnt a clue about how good it was. One of the guys in the workshop passed me and goes "you going to buy this thing as well?" ( its not the first car ive purchased tongue.gif ) - and i said almost like a reflex - orly ?

A day later, i was the owner.

over the following months, the motor came out to do the head gasket properly. Block was slightly pitted at the back; i could have gotten away with it, but as i am stupidly pedantic, out came the entire motor, Hone the bores, machine the block face, surface grind the head, replace valve seats, steam seals.. i could go on all night, but to put it into perspective, every single bolt, nut, component was checked against book specs, torqued up correctly, cleaned, etc. From the point of removing the motor, to turning the key again, i spent .. under 100? hours painstakingly making sure everything was perfect.

And after the run in period, the only problem i found was a clamp on a coolant line was about a 1/3 of a turn loose. Not too bad in my books biggrin.gif

So, the quick run down - 38,000 kms, log book history from new, Turbo intercooled, Taga top, Tems Elec Suspension, Cruise, Auto Climate, PSteer, R12 AC thats cold as $hit, Auto Radio, Auto etc

Car drives like its new, inside still smells new. Not a scratch on the thing, its what defines time-warp.

Gets lots of looks when i occasionally drive her : )

T

Matts1.JPG

Matts4.JPG

Matts6.JPG

Matts8.JPG

Matts9.JPG

Matts10.JPG

Matts11.JPG

Matts13.JPG

Matts14.JPG

Matts15.JPG

Matts16.JPG

Matts17.JPG

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is, the perfect example of a overrated car. I wouldnt use the term overrated on anything less. It drives and rides like no other 20 year old car i've ever been in.

This car was mainly the reason i picked up mine, because i started looking around for one after teddy bought this, and promptly told me he wouldnt sell it to me. :cool:

The MA70/71 supra will, and always has been my favourite shape toyota....my KE55 comes a very close second.

Edited by Xany

This is, the perfect example of a overrated car. I wouldnt use the term overrated on anything less.

Thank god I'm not the only one that gets frustrated by all the so-called overrated cars.

I gotta say.... I have never been a huge fan of these Supra's, but I would drive that with a smile on my face. Looks sweet! I too am glad you are going to keep it OG. Great purchasing.