Ke38 Van For My Daughter

teza40

I have had nothing but trouble with blue

cars over the years,they are like my own curse..

+1 on that quote,

oh and also, did you have much trouble with the metal distorting when welding the patches in? Correct me if I'm wrong, although by the looks of the welds you had turned down the amps (not penetrating as much causing the majority to sit on the surface) on the welder to reduce this problem? I guess near the edge wouldnt matter so much with the added support of the seam,

cheers phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

Members dont see this ad

Very nice work :y: Is it odd that I'm male & kinda really like that colour?

Oh, are the front seats AE80/AE82 items? They just look kinda familiar....

Hi ya..thanks..no i don't think its odd that yourè male and like purple, i like the colour myself.

The seats I'm not sure if they are AE80/82 they were fitted to this ke38 wagon i bought many years ago..

Ican tell ya they fitted straight in (probably on ke rails) and are far more comfy than the original buckets..

Ihad thought ke70 myself,tho I'm not up to speed on them..

+1 on that quote,

oh and also, did you have much trouble with the metal distorting when welding the patches in? Correct me if I'm wrong, although by the looks of the welds you had turned down the amps (not penetrating as much causing the majority to sit on the surface) on the welder to reduce this problem? I guess near the edge wouldnt matter so much with the added support of the seam,

cheers phatke30!

Hi ya Phatke30..

Nice to hear I'm not alone in the blue car curse..lol..

Ok the welder i have is a gasless mig,trade tools recomended and does alright..is good for up to 270 amps i think.

Has multi settings in amps and with thin metal i have found it easier and best to use on number one setting,so yes

very low amps.

With this welder i have taught myself on thin metal,that it is hard to do weld runs,so i do spot weld type

welds.Which as you noted usually leaves the bulk of the weld topside.there is however enough heat and penetration

that if you hold the trigger too long it will do a blow hole for ya...so the trigger is held on for like maybe anything

up to or more than 10 sec intervals.

Yes with the amount of heat always get distortion,the only way to combat that is to take longet to weld area..EG let metal

cool longer between welds..tho I'm impaitent enough as it is..lol..or to use the wet rag system,yest again impaitence of mine.

I accept that any weld i do will need some form of bog to final finish it,as i said i have taught myself how to use this

unit..some days are better than others..but ya get pretty good at filling blow holes in time :)

Cheers

Terry

Edited by teza40

Looking good, can't wait to see the final product!

Any reason why you started painting before rust repairing, I'm guessing someone couldn't wait to see what she would look like purple?

And yes it is odd Carbonboy :lol:

Hi and thankyou 67Rolla-Ken..

Well yes it has helped with the colour choice by having started paint before

rust repairs,bit of a tease i guess..lol..

Tho as i explained in my 2nd post car is being prepped outside..

So have gone about this a bit unorthodox yes,car is being preped outside in the weather elements and the way

things have been in qld so far this year,very unstable.A WELL THAT GOES FOR EVERY WHERE LATELY REALLY.

So just to have the primer covered up (as primer is pourus and likes to suck in moisture) i got top coat

so as to give it a thing coat which also helps me see how straight i got the panels..

Rust repairs are minimal really and the paint isnt yet to final top coat stage..so i am able to go over areas and make sure

things are all good before going the whole hog..Time and dollars are a factor also..so far i have been able to get onto this project

at a good speed,but if for some reason the weather turns foul,i have no cover for the work i have done..

Previous experience has led me to think get paint on it now..i have an austin a40 in primer and under cover,and i have to

do it all again as surface rust has broke through the primer..and that suxs better than a hoover...

Cheers

Terry

Looking great Terry.

+1 welcome back, so does this mean you will be passenger in it (once finished of course) on a cruise or two.......

Hey there you are stranger..thanks for the welcome back and ah yes I'm sure once the girl gets confident enough.I will persuade

to be a part of a rolla club cruise,be nice to driven around in the nana mobile instead of being the pilot..lol.

Looking great there Tez, you're daughter is going to love the van. I'd keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't fit the back out with a mattress :P I know what 16y/o boys are like lOl

Hi ya Jon..oh fella that last bit can be taken so many ways..lol..

Ok our crap bris vegas weather is back..

Tho managed during the week to do some work (damage) on the left front guard,it had rust holes behind the

corolla badge.so cut a sizeable section out and put a new piece of metal in.

Not without massive warpage tho..oh well heat is a killer on thin metal.All good and can be fixed easy enough

tho having to take the fender off the car to do so (can see the penetration on the inside).

At bog stage (saturday) and bogged other areas in need also..

Glad to have got some more work done whilst the weather threatened again...

Enjoy the pics

Cheers

Teza

post-2215-094654700 1299303236_thumb.jpg

post-2215-045075900 1299303663_thumb.jpg

post-2215-005488300 1299303744_thumb.jpg

post-2215-078250700 1299303897_thumb.jpg

post-2215-081182300 1299303827_thumb.jpg

post-2215-008659300 1299303870_thumb.jpg

post-2215-042273400 1299304013_thumb.jpg

post-2215-055819100 1299304144_thumb.jpg

post-2215-014949500 1299304111_thumb.jpg

Edited by teza40

I hope the girl is doing all the sanding & bogging! They need to learn things like that. Mine learnt to paint inside houses at an early age, turned out very good at it too.

The guys will think the car is great, real retro cool...

Hi ya...Well unfortunately my daughters (yes i have two) live the otherside of bris vegas to me,so as of yet havent been up here

for a weekend..so it`s dear ol dad putting in the hard yards..labour of love..tho I'm sure given the chance Emma would have a go

at the bogging and sanding..there`s still time lol...good experience for the young ones for sure..

Ahhhhh ha retro cool is the look we going for..still throwing paint schemes about in my head tho...stripe styles etc..

Cheers

Terry