The Off-Topic Thread

rian

I had a shitty end to an otherwise good weekend, finding out a friend was killed in a bike accident just before lunch on Sunday morning. 32 years old.

Was that the one out near Wollombi? We came through from Peats Ridge on the TOCAU cruise just before lunch, all the bikers were saying that there had been a head-on on the way in to Cessnock and the road was going to be closed for hours (we were going north to Broke so didn't impact us)

Members dont see this ad

yeah, on Wollombi road.

Still don't really know what happened, all we really know is he hit a car head on, died at the scene. Media rumour mill is running wild as usual with bullshit.

Just really really shit run lately.

good friends mum died suddenly in the middle of the night a month or two ago,

Then had a close friends dad killed in the bus accident a few weeks ago

Now this.

Whens its a close family friend or a family member it really hits home just how delicate a life is.... As i found it with a mates brother, here one moment and gone the next.

They generally say that deaths run in groups of three :(

Hopefully that'll be the last.

Sorry for your lose.

• Upvote 1

Just makes it a bit hard to motivate yourself to spend 9 hours a day doing something you no longer enjoy, for a company that doesnt appreciate it.

I know where your coming from with that. Even lose interest in the money that you earn each week.

So lately I've been noticing the following things a lot more, probably because I'm getting older and these things are more common among older people. But seriously, what is the point of the following things and why do people pay money for them:

- diamonds (I can fully understand industrial diamonds, but not the other kind)

- personalised plates

- weddings/marriage

Edited by rian

- diamonds (I can fully understand industrial diamonds, but not the other kind)

- personalised plates

- weddings/marriage

Diamonds - I dunno.

Plates - well, I am a sucker for this as I have had a fair few and I honestly can't tell you why but there are still a few more I wanna get.

Weddings I can understand but some of the money spent on them is a bit out there.

Having just got married, you can do it sensibly....

The weddings I can't understand are the 50-100k shin digs that you invite everyone you don't really like, just to show them how nice your life is going to be...

We had a "medium" sized wedding (100 people) and spent 10-15k (paid for by us)

I wouldn't cahnge what we spent, being a bit more traditional in a heap of ways, its something we both put a bit of importance on, so we did it our way and all within our means.

Diamonds, well, same can be said about gold/silver/gemstones/any precious mineral/metal/element. Why is something we dig out of the ground, that is (for the most part) useless for anything other than specific purposes, coveted and worth lots of money? I suppose its more to do with it being rare and a status symbol, which makes them coveted.

Ohh and personalised plates, to me, kinda depends on whats on them. I can't stand plates with peoples initials and year of birth or anything like that. to me, thats pointless.

Where as on a modified car, I suppose its just another modification (Same as nice paint, chrome bits etc etc)

Yeah planning a wedding atm, The engagement party is expensive enough. Looking to have a theme for my wedding that allows ironic cheapness.

There's a real conspiracy behind the price fixing of diamonds. Didn't stop me buying one for my missus. Its a custom. Go ask a Maori why he got his tribal tattoos. Its not really anything more than the identity that we give ourselves culturally and as a couple, and there happens to be one family monopolising the whole market. Good scam. Like Derrin Brown says, give people anything you like and condition them to want it... instead of meeting demands in a competitive environment.

Personal Plates are not my thing, but that doesn't mean I haven't been trying to come up with an idea for one for the 2azfe ae86.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit