January 13, 201214 yr comment_577347 Has anyone had any experience in removing the top part of the shifter from the middle section? I've got a K50 shifter that has had the gear knob thread cut off, and I'm looking at replacing it with another thread from a K40 or T50 shifter (since no other shifters fit the K50). Here's a photo of the sliver T50 shifter and black K40 shifter: Then the join which I want to undo: Looks like the top bit slides over the bottom gear stick shaft, then the side is punched in to fix it into place (with a bit of glue). Was going to hold it in a vice and get a hammer and chisel/screw driver and try and tap it undone. Though bit unsure if it's just been slid on, or actually screwed on. Don't want to ruin it. Edited January 13, 201214 yr by bruce Report
January 13, 201214 yr comment_577366 I've often wondered myself. Looking in the factory manuals, there is no indication that they can be dismantled and reassembled. The inner section is inserted all the way up the outer section to the level where the outer section starts to narrow. I'd suggest the inner section is vulcanised in, and removing it will destroy the outer. Report
January 13, 201214 yr Author comment_577397 The K50 shifter I have is cut where the section starts to narrow, might take a photo tomorrow. Inside that part it is hollow. Looking down, it is solid down further, but can't make out if the shaft is coming through. Edited January 13, 201214 yr by bruce Report
January 13, 201214 yr comment_577455 is the bit at the bottom the same where the circlip holds it into the housing? ie undo the circlip on your shifter and put the t50 one in? Report
January 14, 201214 yr Author comment_577573 The bottom bits are different. Here's a photo for comparison. Left to right, TA22 T50, KE55 K50, and KE30 K40: Putting the K40 shifter into the K50 base plate fits, and can shift gears, but is sloppy, since it doesn't have that middle ball bit. Didn't put the circlip on. The cut K50 shifter end (probably to put a bigger thread on for a gear knob): Got a couple TA22 T50 shifters so I'll have a go at removing the top half. Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577575 ke70 k50 and t50 use the same shifter. the ke55 one has a plastic bush in it Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577600 ke70 k50 and t50 use the same shifter. the ke55 one has a plastic bush in it ta22 t50 shifters(forward position) are different to the newer rear position t50 shifters Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577617 If you do manage to separate them you will never get them back together. If you have no other option i would cut the shifters down the bottom in the thin section before it goes inside the thick piece. I would mark both shifters with a texta before you cut so you get the alignment right. Then sit the thick end in a tall cylinder filled with water to keep this section cool and then weld the two halves together. It does work, I have done it before. Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577624 Ive always thought they were vulcanized for anti vibration .Not sure tho. Belive Ive read about guttet ones. don't remember where , how or why If you manage to seperate and clean, 2 component resin rubber could be poured back in Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577636 Why not chop the top off a shifter that has the thread on It and weld it on your shifter? Or just tap a thread onto the cut off one and see what gearknobs you can run Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577646 ke70 k50 and t50 use the same shifter. the ke55 one has a plastic bush in it ta22 t50 shifters(forward position) are different to the newer rear position t50 shifters Yes, ke70 K50 and the A series T50 has a different base to what you have and only a single ball but are you sure that is the reason for the slop? Report
January 14, 201214 yr comment_577661 Some people have heated up the shifter until the rubber gives up and pulled the two apart, then cleaned up and filled with sikaflex on re-assembly. The thread is the common M8x1.25 thread so just get a std 4.6 strength bolt and weld it on, save the shifters! I will buy the ta22 ones off you if you haven't done any surgery on them yet! Report
January 18, 201214 yr comment_578453 Still trying to sort this shifter issue Leon!! When I put my K-T50 in I had a similar issue. Ended up holding the shifter (base) in a vice, and grabbing the top half with some vice grips...... broke the rubber seal and slid a new top on sealed with sikaflex. Report
January 22, 201214 yr Author comment_579510 Still trying to sort this shifter issue Leon!! When I put my K-T50 in I had a similar issue. Ended up holding the shifter (base) in a vice, and grabbing the top half with some vice grips...... broke the rubber seal and slid a new top on sealed with sikaflex. I ended up giving up on the KE70 K50 with KE55 rear extension housing. Couldn't find a shifter. Then I went 3TC. But I got another corolla with a 4K so I got a K50 for it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up getting it off, similar to what Simon did. I held the base of the shifter in the vice and rotated the top half with multigrips. Broke the glue bond and rotated the top half clockwise/anticlockwise until it loosened off. I slid a K40 top onto the K50 base along with araldite. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now