Dismantling A K40/T50 Shifter

bruce

Has anyone had any experience in removing the top part of the shifter from the middle section?

I've got a K50 shifter that has had the gear knob thread cut off, and I'm looking at replacing it with another thread from a K40 or T50 shifter (since no other shifters fit the K50).

Here's a photo of the sliver T50 shifter and black K40 shifter:

post-926-0-28111700-1326445751_thumb.jpg

Then the join which I want to undo:

post-926-0-46917500-1326445990_thumb.jpg

Looks like the top bit slides over the bottom gear stick shaft, then the side is punched in to fix it into place (with a bit of glue).

Was going to hold it in a vice and get a hammer and chisel/screw driver and try and tap it undone. Though bit unsure if it's just been slid on, or actually screwed on. Don't want to ruin it.

Edited by bruce

Members dont see this ad

I've often wondered myself. Looking in the factory manuals, there is no indication that they can be dismantled and reassembled. The inner section is inserted all the way up the outer section to the level where the outer section starts to narrow.

I'd suggest the inner section is vulcanised in, and removing it will destroy the outer.

The K50 shifter I have is cut where the section starts to narrow, might take a photo tomorrow. Inside that part it is hollow. Looking down, it is solid down further, but can't make out if the shaft is coming through.

Edited by bruce

The bottom bits are different. Here's a photo for comparison. Left to right, TA22 T50, KE55 K50, and KE30 K40:

post-926-0-80343000-1326527509_thumb.jpg

Putting the K40 shifter into the K50 base plate fits, and can shift gears, but is sloppy, since it doesn't have that middle ball bit. Didn't put the circlip on.

The cut K50 shifter end (probably to put a bigger thread on for a gear knob):

post-926-0-78421400-1326527718_thumb.jpg

Got a couple TA22 T50 shifters so I'll have a go at removing the top half.

If you do manage to separate them you will never get them back together. If you have no other option i would cut the shifters down the bottom in the thin section before it goes inside the thick piece. I would mark both shifters with a texta before you cut so you get the alignment right. Then sit the thick end in a tall cylinder filled with water to keep this section cool and then weld the two halves together. It does work, I have done it before.

Ive always thought they were vulcanized for anti vibration .Not sure tho.

Belive Ive read about guttet ones. don't remember where , how or why

If you manage to seperate and clean, 2 component resin rubber could be poured back in

ke70 k50 and t50 use the same shifter. the ke55 one has a plastic bush in it

ta22 t50 shifters(forward position) are different to the newer rear position t50 shifters

Yes, ke70 K50 and the A series T50 has a different base to what you have and only a single ball but are you sure that is the reason for the slop?

Some people have heated up the shifter until the rubber gives up and pulled the two apart,

then cleaned up and filled with sikaflex on re-assembly.

The thread is the common M8x1.25 thread so just get a std 4.6 strength bolt and weld it on,

save the shifters! I will buy the ta22 ones off you if you haven't done any surgery on them yet!

Still trying to sort this shifter issue Leon!!

When I put my K-T50 in I had a similar issue. Ended up holding the shifter (base) in a vice, and grabbing the top half with some vice grips...... broke the rubber seal and slid a new top on sealed with sikaflex.wink.gif

Still trying to sort this shifter issue Leon!!

When I put my K-T50 in I had a similar issue. Ended up holding the shifter (base) in a vice, and grabbing the top half with some vice grips...... broke the rubber seal and slid a new top on sealed with sikaflex.wink.gif

I ended up giving up on the KE70 K50 with KE55 rear extension housing. Couldn't find a shifter. Then I went 3TC. But I got another corolla with a 4K so I got a K50 for it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up getting it off, similar to what Simon did. I held the base of the shifter in the vice and rotated the top half with multigrips. Broke the glue bond and rotated the top half clockwise/anticlockwise until it loosened off. I slid a K40 top onto the K50 base along with araldite.

post-926-0-40534900-1327232734_thumb.jpg