June 11, 201313 yr comment_658582 So amazingly awkward looking. Gotta love Yankee input into a Japanese classic. Awesome interior :) Report
June 11, 201313 yr Author comment_658603 Its had a a more thorough going over now. It needs an alternator and battery. I have already got the new battery and dropped it to the mechanics. There is some related electrical fault, but its only to do with the charge circuit. The fuel was well and truly off and has been drained and replaced by fresh unleaded. Its dead straight underneath. Lots of rust proofing all over. No rust anywhere barring a few spots of surface rust in the duco. The wheel arches and all panels are crisply straight. Brakes look good. Tyres look good. I gets a roady tomorrow morning. The ATF is being drained overnight, and the diff oil is being dumped and changed at the same time. Ill need to scrape the tinting off the rear window as its all bubbly and cloudy. Beyond that it really needs nothing more than a thorough detailing, and maybe a new back bumper, as this one is straight, but the skin is very weathered. All in all, a nice find I think. Report
June 11, 201313 yr comment_658608 Wow tidy car,and irs i thought they only come with live axle. Wheels, lower,. drive . Not often you see one in that condition. rob Report
June 11, 201313 yr Author comment_658609 Yeah, exactly. Someone has even changed the exhaust as well. Super quiet daily driver style. Report
June 11, 201313 yr comment_658613 Nice daily, hope you do get carried away with mods though! :P I never knew these had IRS, cool as. Report
June 11, 201313 yr comment_658620 That's tidy. Looks comfy too. What manual gearbox did these come with? Report
June 11, 201313 yr comment_658624 There's one of these at the Byron Bay/Brunswick wreckers, it looks to be in way better condition then yours though :P:: Edited June 11, 201313 yr by rian Report
June 11, 201313 yr comment_658626 I have the molds here if you ever decide you want a rally replica. Looks like a very nice ra65 and the coupe is getting very rare to find. Report
June 11, 201313 yr Author comment_658653 That's tidy. Looks comfy too. What manual gearbox did these come with? W55 or 57. Report
June 12, 201313 yr Author comment_658730 Its now registered. Ive driven it home. First impressions: Engine, transmission and diff are silky smooth and quiet. All running gear seems fine. Brakes are awesome. The mechanic had discovered new PBR gold wheel cylinders when he inspected the shoes on the rear, and plenty of life in the linings and drums. Same story up front. Brakes were replaced at some point, most likely when it had other work done around 2008. Driver seat is comfy. Its got the 3 speed auto with overdrive. Its exactly what I wanted from it, a cool old daily. Now to get down to the business of giving it a great clean. Also, I still need to find an alternator. if anyone has an alternator from a 22RE powered Celica or corona please hook me up. I can also use the YN63 4 runner alternator as its identical. Best thing is I was able to buy it one day and have it registered within 2 days. Probably a record for me in an unreg car sale. ;) Report
June 12, 201313 yr comment_658731 I dunno how much you are willing to spend on the alternator, but the auto electrician down the road from me has reco'd a few for me for around $150 i think. They are a strange looking beast the ra65, but a good condition old cool car is cool weather it looks strange or not! Report
June 12, 201313 yr Author comment_658734 The unique look is kinda the point. I think most Toyota people see these and assume they are some sort of early prelude or something else from some other Japanese maker. I know I used to a few years ago. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now