Si's 5kte Ke55

Taz_Rx

Try this instead then...

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid...h&plindex=0

I hate IT departments, think they know it all and make my life hard.

BTW, somebody better tell reader about the big boost/big turbo thing!!! That thing is like a dinner plate and he's still running 25+psi!! :y:

Edited by Taz_Rx

Members dont see this ad
Try this instead then...

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid...h&plindex=0

I hate IT departments, think they know it all and make my life hard.

BTW, somebody better tell reader about the big boost/big turbo thing!!! That thing is like a dinner plate and he's still running 25+psi!! :y:

25psi? on a t51? it would want to be making a whole lot more than the 280rwkw i was told if thats the case.

He made 280oddrwkw on lower boost at 500rpm when the coils started breaking down. :y:

It made 365rwkw last week, he was gunna swap exhausts as the 3" was too restrictive to push over 400, but then the dyno at powercruise got cancelled so he didn't bother.

oh well. the day my turbo craps itself due to not having a bov i'll think about getting one. i doubt i'll ever be buying one tho...

Your turbo will end its life at about 1/4 of its normal lifespan, the huge amount of boost that quickly builds up between gearchanges (turbo spinning flatout, throttle suddenly closes, think about it) smashes into your compressor wheel and encourages serious end float. Soon enough your seals start to leak, or your compressor touches the housing, and you go "my turbo is stuffed, need a new one" thinking that the wear is normal, when really the turbo could have gone for another 100,000ks if you had a simple bov. :y:

If you have an auto they are still needed, but your turbos death will be delayed further. :S

So maybe the problem will be even worse due to MORE airflow but less pressure.

SAME PROBLEM ,different scope.

Anyway ill sit back and wait for it to happen,keeps me in business people that don't listen.

MAtt

People thinking they need something they don't helps keep you in business.

Anyway i've said my bit so lets stop filling simons thread with shit

No man,i want you to learn from other peoples knowledge and experience.

The whole point of this discussion is to try and let you know that you are and will eventually do enough damage to your turbocharger by not running some sort of pressure discharge valve once the throttle is closed on a turbocharged car.

The lower the boost the less the amount of damage every time BUT it is subjecting the turbine wheel and comp wheel to extra stress unnecessarally.But if you can't get your head around the science of air movement and closed circuits then you will never understand why we are recommending that you fit some sort of BOV whether it be plumb back or external.

Good luck.

MAtt

S'all good mate, if I didn't want this discussion in my thread, I would have told ya's to piss off and start another general mechanical discussion on BOVs. :y:

However Lets just clarify one other thing....

Matt rebuilds turbos, he doesn't sell BOV's.

People who don't run BOV's will need a rebuild quicker, then he makes his money.

He's telling us to run BOV's so he doesn't see blow turbos earlier.

Get my point!? :S

My old ET Pulsar exa did not have a BOV at all, It only had a factory pop off valve after the throttle, I can't remember the k's on it but i had to change the turbo cause it was rooted, Shaft seized up and it can't be from no lube or turning it off when hot.

HAHAH Just read the thread.

I happen to build small gas turbines (jet engines) out of turbo compressors.

NOW I have seen a TV81 turbo hit revision (jet world term: surge) and the compressor STOPPED the front shaft nut came off like abullet (put hole in shed wall) and turbo was f@$kED. Well we rebalanced it and custom made some bearings and modified the combustion chamber so now it is like new but man trust me no BOV you will kill the turbo.

EVEN commercial gas turbines on helicopters, A380 any large jet have a BOV (jet world term: compressor bleed valve) at low power it is open at high power they close due to air flow compressor maps can't explain here. BUT ALL I CAN SAY

LISTEN you need a BOV.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Its all go now then :yes:

mine was a 4.1 as well, apparently the mapping graph changed a heap for the better,

so it was definately worth the postage cost.

One thing they don't upgrade though is the ability to run a wideband o2 sensor,

which is a pain in the arse, innovate here i come!

I'm not using the closed loop or anything, so I not even running an O2.

It's now 4.72, so it can now do a couple of things more than whats in the 4.56 user guide!!

Finally managed to get an ignition pulse last night.......with a power drill on the bottom of the dizzy!!!! That would work at about 200rpm, so the engine must be turning over less than that! :yes: Just tried a 550cca odysse battery and that didn't help so I think I may now be in need of a reduction starter motor!? Does anybody know what sort of RPM the reductions will crank at?????