The Off-Topic Thread

rian

Samsung Galaxy (2 or 3, I went for a 2 because tight ass and smaller but does pretty much the same things).

Android. Windows phones are shit. Theres a reason the Galaxys have taken market share over Apple.

I totally forgot about the Samsung Galaxy! I'm guessing you bought it outright?

I did some quick research, Galaxy 2 looks pretty dope and is more in my price range (zomg smartphones are expensive! Galaxy 3 4G is like $700, I'd so rather spend that on new wheels)

My Motorola Defy+ has been really good, dropped about 50 times and no issues. Can do all the generic maps, facebook etc, etc well and there only like a $100 now or something crazy.

This sounds more like it. I've had a Nokia for the last 6 or 7 years so I don't really want anything too flash, I really just wnt to be able to do internet stuff and maps.

^ What he said plus: If you can work out what you can afford to spend a month & can commit for two years, see if you can get the phone you want on that plan.

Although if you're looking to buy one outright & stay prepaid (or whatever you have currently), a Samsung S2 should be well-priced & I can vouch for how much abuse Gorilla Glass can take. I have the S3 & it's larger size is a PITA sometimes, it is handy for maps & internet though with it's large screen.

Android for the win.

I've got a $18 "BYO phone" TPG plan that is equivalent to most $70 iphone plans, so I really want to steer clear of plans that include the phone, especially when plans go for 2 years and replacing a phone is way to expensive if you ever break a phone that is still on a plan.

Thanks for the input Luke, I'm definitely keen on Gorilla Glass (I can't understand why this isn't used in every phone?) so I'll probably go and check out an S2.

Edited by rian

Members dont see this ad

Yeah I bought it outright, the missus dropped my phone in the toilet.

Really good phone. Great as a music player too. They do suck power though, always handy to have a charger around.

But the best thing about that is they don't have a charger dedicated to them, any mini(?) usb works.

Yeah I bought it outright, the missus dropped my phone in the toilet.

Really good phone. Great as a music player too. They do suck power though, always handy to have a charger around.

But the best thing about that is they don't have a charger dedicated to them, any mini(?) usb works.

So wise, this is why apple can suck a dick.

I love my Motorola RAZR (running android 4.0.4) and Amber has the Sony Xperia Go (running android 4.0.4) apart from a few hiccups she loves it.

If you know what your doing...... root the phone, can do so much more stuff on the phone. From backing up the apps (and also the apps data) to removing the bloatware from Telstra, Optus yadda yadda.

If you know what your doing...... root the phone, can do so much more stuff on the phone. From backing up the apps (and also the apps data) to removing the bloatware from Telstra, Optus yadda yadda.

Flashing a custom ROM seems like a good idea, have been meaning to do this at some point. Mainly to free up RAM/memory usage from stuff I just don't need.

Still don't get why the majority of people with $500+ phones won't put a $5 case on them. Especially iPhone owners.

Because they're silly or rely upon phone insurance way too much. On the other hand, it keeps phone repair people employed. :laff:

I got a case called an otter box much like the heavy duty ones for iphone with rubber outer and a plastic screen cover. Have dropped it a few times holds up really well

+1 for this Otter (Tradesman I think??) case, I think I paid $60-$70 for it. but worth every cent. MIne gets bashed, knocked, squashed, dropped & covered in dirt/sawdust on a daily basis, it just takes whatever gets dished out & comes back for more. They're not fully sealed however, so if you drop it into a body of liquid, you'll still be in trouble! :)

My disqualification ends Friday at midnight. Can I even drive or do I have to reapply for a licence at QT beforehand?

I was on opens and lost it for low range DIC.

I'm getting all hyped to drive again but wanted to make sure I'm not gonna be driving illegally on Saturday. Id rather wait another few days than risk more months disqualified. The QT website is little help, I'll call tomorrow unless someone can shed some light?

EDIT: Found this

You do not hold a valid driver licence if:

* after completing a period of disqualification, you do not obtain a driver licence before driving again.

Thats shit, have to wait till Monday :(

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

So wait, when you lose your licence in QLD, they actually cancel your licence? not just suspend it?

In NSW, when you lose your licence as long as you keep it current during the period (not expired) then when the suspension is lifted (once you read the end of the period) you can just start driving again.

(well its atleast that way for points and even immediate loss of licence traffic infringements.... been there done that...)

^I've never used/seen/heard anything about the Tradetools jacks but I know that Autobahn jacks are shit, Supercheap jacks are shit (Repco jacks are probably shit too). I'd buy a brand name one that you can get rebuild kits for, I've seen a few cheap ones fail and people just buy new jacks because no one carries any parts for them. The one I've been using recently is like 40 or 50 years old and the company is still doing seal kits for it! I would tell you what brand it is but I don't know, it hardly has any paint left on it lol.

Edited by rian

Alright dudes, I'm after a trolley jack and I'm wondering what everyone else is rocking.

Low is height is top of the list and preferably not aluminum because I don't like dat sheiiiiit mang.

best price/everything I've found so far is this.

http://www.tradetools.com/products/GJ2T

That's pretty cheap!!

I've had my Omega "magic lift" service jack for almost 7 years and its the best $200 I've ever spent.

The the best thing about the "magic lift" jacks are they only need one pump to get to vehicle height.

American made so you know it won't fall about in a week like my mates Chinese made one did.

post-2201-0-92814700-1364003483_thumb.jpg

Look like this.

Edited by kickn5k