Books??

Redwarf

Having a house with several rooms stacked floor to ceiling with books, I ponder that their must be others out there that like a good read.

What are you reading?

What have you just read?

What are you about to read?

Where they any good?

I've just finish a Charles Stross' "The Jennifer Morgue". Weird, demonological, and overall not a bad read. I would summorise the plot but I still can't work it out myself. Pegged for a re-read.

Currently reading Nevil Shute "A town like Alice". An old favourite. I usually read this about once a year.

About to read Anthony Burgess "Clockwork Orange". I'm puting off this one until I get over this illness I have. I've had high tempatures and the Stross book had demons and really weird things chasing me in my sleep. This one would be worse.

Members dont see this ad

Robert Jordan novels,

Being a food enthusiasts, travel cookbooks mostly

I also read American History, or references pertaining to history

And biographys of some defining people of our era

A town like Alice, haha I can tell you what its like living out there, haha awesome place tho, shop called Home like Alice, haha

The Hobbit and the Lord of the rings, in hardback, from before the movies, good reads.

The Obernewtyn series because I'm a massive kid on the inside. (still waiting on book 6, dammit)

Eragon series, as above, still waiting on the end of the series before re-reading it all, shits all over the POS that was the movie.

I have others that I'll read one day, maybe once I've built my library, no rush.....

Other than that I like to remain as illiterate as possible :P

War stories & hard science fiction for 50years. Peter F Hamilton & Gibson in the last decade. Some good stuff on the 'net too.

Recently my wife turned me into a Falco & Libertus fan, they are each a series based in Roman times. Falco is an informer & solves crimes usually based in Rome, and Libertas is a tiler making mosaics and solves crimes in Roman-occupied Britain. Both authors are women but I can't remember their names.... ah Google is God- Lindsey Davis did Falco & Rosemary Rowe wrote the Libertus books. Read them in order, your library is your bookfriend.

Stuff by John Ringo, rather enjoy his novels. Its mostly all go go go in the action. I'm about to get in between the covers titled "The Hot Gate"

But at the moment i'm a few pages off from finishing a Clive Cussler novel "Treasure - A Dirk Pitt Novel". So far its the second one of his that i've read and it seams ok but can be a little drawn out at times.

Andy McNab - think of the Jason Bourne movies style of nitty gritty, the use of whats on hand and available in a shop etc and you have the makings of a Andy McNab novel.

Have read a couple of non-fiction books. "Project Orion" being one of them.

I loved 'A Town Like Alice' when I read it.

I'm going through a real Charles Dickens phase at the moment - bit of a classics fan.

'David Copperfield' is a must read. Have just started on 'The Old Curiosity Shop'

Although my all time favourites would have to be, 'Power Without Glory' by Frank Hardy, and 'The Day of the Jackal', 'Dogs of War' and 'The Odessa File"

And don't tell anyone, but I am an absolute 'Pride & Prejudice' tragic. The Horatio Hornblower series had me spending some very late nights with the bedside lamp on too.

Oh and then of course there is .................... etc

Love lord of the rings, the hobbit. Read the silmaril (spelling?) Also good. Love the narnia books. Love everything by john marsden and everything by Tim winton. Enjoyed my first 4 clive cussler books than got bored of them. The sookie stackhouse and harper connerly series are fantastic... But the books I look forward to reading more than any others, the sculduggery pleasant series. Derek landy is hilarious!

I also have a heap of the old "billabong" series, Mary Grant Bruce was one of our best Aussie authors.

... I'll stop there :lol:

The Hobbit and the Lord of the rings, in hardback, from before the movies, good reads.

The Obernewtyn series because I'm a massive kid on the inside. (still waiting on book 6, dammit)

Eragon series, as above, still waiting on the end of the series before re-reading it all, shits all over the POS that was the movie.

I have others that I'll read one day, maybe once I've built my library, no rush.....

Other than that I like to remain as illiterate as possible :P

f@$king love the eragon series choice read

i did like one of tim wintons ones not to sure what it was called into the blue or somthing

Arthur C.Clarke. (for the sci-fi fans) I love the collection of short stories, I'll pull out the book when I find it again.

Also +1 for There and Back again (the hobbit), the books just have soo much more detail and immersion in them than the movies.

These days I just don't have the time to read and what I do read are instruction manuals.

I've read for a long time, unfortunately these days, books are to sleep like bells are to pavlov's dog's hunger. Two pages, bang, asleep.

Bought the latest Terry Pratchett before a flight to darwin , ive read most of his stuff in the last 15 years. Pretty good read, good combo of fantasy and satire.

Just went through a phase of HP Lovecraft. Some amazing stuff, the Mountains of Madness was fantastic, but one of his stories broke a good run for me, just far too trippy. Also I have read most of Edgar allan Poe, similarly freaky old school horror.

Elijah wood and liv Tyler destroyed what was once my favorite book, even read the silmarillion and a range of other Tolkien books. I won't be watching the Hobbit film. I don't think I'll ever read LOTR again...

If you enjoy LOTR, I highly recommend the Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance, very cool. The Dying Earth series is agreat collection of short stories as well.

But my favourite, by far: Pillars of the earth, by Ken Follett. Amazing. Long book, thought my 10 day start to finish was a feat, but Dad did it in 3!

Read a lot of other stuff, fromn Tom Sharpe to dickens to L. sprague De Camp to Heinlein and Herbert... All good.

I also g through phases of non fiction, I love good yarns about Maths and Physics (I know, its weird), but inevitably hit one that is a total grind and revert back to fiction for a year or two.

You see Gentlemen, Robert Jordan only succeeded in annoying me by writing 11 books of a series at 2000 pages a book, and then dying before he finished it.

Much prefer Raymond E Feist. I re-read Magician every couple of years.

Tolkien: Loved the Hobbit, give or take LOTR. Haven't seen the movies, so that can't have swayed me...

Parrot, I've only read Great Expectations of Dickens, and it didn't really do anything for me. Is Copperfield better?

Hornblower: Have loved Hornblower since my early teens. Have them all. Highlight of my trips to the UK was going over the HMS Victory. Have got through about 15 of Patrick Obriens "Master and Commander" series before it all got a bit much.....

Have just been through a Scandinavian Crime period. Martin Beck series (Great books and an interesting social commentary on the side), Helsinki Homicide (a bit pulpy, but not bad...) and another couple of odd ones.

In the end I always end up at Sci Fi.

Have been through Peter F Hamilton, Harry Harrison, Heinlein (his early stuff had some interesting thoughts, his really late stuff was in places a bit disturbing...) Harry Turtledove, etc....

Neal Stevenson is a favourite. Cryptonomicon is currently very much a favourite.

Philby, I read my first Lovecraft about three months ago (Call of Cthulhu) and didn't mind it. Other stuff similar?

Finished A town like Alice. Now on "The Trail" by Kafka. :)

I have a Kindle. E-books rock. :D

Edited by Redwarf