Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How Not To Build A Rally Car

Featured Replies

Nice read! Reminds me of my first rally car, so much fun, but so many things wrong!

  • Replies 237
  • Views 670.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • In the end, they are not a great car for rally driving, like the 240Z or the Stratos. Most sports cars have the driver sitting too low and too far back because of the low roofline and hence the visib

  • Best read in ages . Cheers Keith

  • I'll vouch for all of the above! :yes:   Loving the thread by the way altezzaclub, ingenuity over money.   Edit: Not that spending money is bad, I just know what it's like to not have much of it.

Posted Images

  • Author

haha! Not long enough Philbey. 5weeks I think, a week to strip, a week with the tank fitting and welding, and three weeks solid for everything else before the rally.

 

Steve can be the welder, he's got much better over the time and it will stand him in good stead for the next 40years. The 'new' wire feed welding is certainly much neater, easier, and doesn't deform the rest of the metal around it. If you make a mistake you just grab a grinder and start over.

 

So many toys are much better than in the 1970s..... rachet-ring spanners, cheap hoists, MIG and TIG, 18volt battery drills, engine stands...

A rally car is never finished. ;)

Good work Keith and Steve,ive seen the car didnt seem to bad from a distance, guess no telling whats underneath.

 

Ive started on the old corolla but still a lot to do every thing you take off is f$$ked or worn out,but lucky very little rust.

 

 

 

Are you guys going to do rally sprint at armidale?

 

 

 

 

The front inserts look the goods how much for the hole set up .

 

Might catch up Keith

 

ps bring tool box the corolla needs help ha ha

Edited by corollaart

  • Author
Are you guys going to do rally sprint at armidale?

Hopefully, but I'll let Steve answer that..

 

with reference to-

After making a list we crashed for an early night and next morning I was up and gone on the 600km trip back home in the KE70.

and

So, there it sits and gets worked on until Feb 16th 2013!!

and

Meanwhile, the weeks slip away while the girlfriend is on holiday and the RA40 sits neglected....

 

Ah, I love putting the pressure on!

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Well, I got back up to the farm last week, and what with December and girlfriends and mates to help and Christmas... the car was exactly as I left in on Dec 1st. Time had been spent ruining little brother's Corolla's ride and then trying to fit a DCOE with linkages that made no sense and jets that would lean out a Prius.

post-7544-0-80364500-1361577464_thumb.jpg

  • Author

I cracked the whip and we had the spring seats taken off the struts, then we welded them back on 50mm higher

post-7544-0-32078000-1361577541_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-33891000-1361577572_thumb.jpg

  • Author

This was done by putting in an old shock and poouring engine oil around it to soak up the heat on the inside of the strut tube. Then Steve put a stack of quick tacks all the way around it so we didn't blow any holes through or distort the inside.

 

Then we refitted the Bilsteins- the "C" spanner they supply is just not up to the job, so it was woolshed spec again.

 

With two weekends left to the rally sprint and university starting on Monday, I left him to it... this should be fun!

post-7544-0-19838800-1361577846_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-27561500-1361577869_thumb.jpg

Awesome , its good to see another celica :)

  • 3 weeks later...

That was a great read Keith, I just read the whole lot from start to finish and learnt that I do not possess the mechanical knowledge, know-how and talent to build a rally car!

Wow - Steve is one lucky man to have you to help him wih his car! All the best for the up coming rally season and if you guys ever come upto to QLD I'll love to come and watch you race.

  • Author

Cheers Tom. The rally year is in disarray with all the rain up the NSW coast, so the rallysprint AND the first rally have been cancelled.

 

This is a silver lining for certain young men who have not devoted enough time to getting the car running yet... and we may look further afield for some events later on & see what's in Sthn QLD..

Just read this thread and I'm amazed. I've always had the interest to get into rallying eventually, starting with some gymkhanas and track days. What clubs should I be looking for? And what are good events for entry level?

  • Author
I guess the cars are old and susestible to getting rust easily

 

lol! Rally cars don't last long enough to rust! The rain destroyed the roads, and Forestry will take months to rebuild them all.

 

Luke- gymkhanas and track sprints are the starting points, hillclimbs too. Events where you aren't in a pack of cars all together, if you like your car. You could go to any local rallies and randomly chat to people, the teams are always looking for helpers in the organisation part of it and being on a service crew is a good starting point.

 

(Obligatory Warning- Motorsport is highly addictive and destructive of wallets)

Luke- gymkhanas and track sprints are the starting points, hillclimbs too. Events where you aren't in a pack of cars all together, if you like your car. You could go to any local rallies and randomly chat to people, the teams are always looking for helpers in the organisation part of it and being on a service crew is a good starting point.

 

(Obligatory Warning- Motorsport is highly addictive and destructive of wallets)

 

I'll vouch for all of the above! :yes:

 

Loving the thread by the way altezzaclub, ingenuity over money.

 

Edit: Not that spending money is bad, I just know what it's like to not have much of it. :)

Edited by carbonboy

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.