Steerfast Rally Ke30 2 Door

supra2

Members dont see this ad

I know of a guy who had to wear a burn suit for a few years because he thought there was no chance that working on the legs a couple of metres from the actual tank would cause it to blow up.

Continuous CO2 purge is about the only way I'd cut into one. But it's done now.

Mercel Foam, common in circuit cars. A black (usually) foam that takes up 10% volume for it's size, but acts to control the fuel sloshing around. They use it in bag tanks and that sort of thing. You can use it in normal fuel tanks just by cutting it up into small chunks and pushing it down the filler, but probably doesn't work quite as well. I guess part of the reason that no one usually bothers for a rally car.

Creating sparks any where near a fuel tank is not being brave, its plain stupid, if its a few meters away or on the far side of the work shop.

To weld fuel tanks safely,the vapor has to be removed. The CO2 purge is one way if you have the equipment.

Ive repaired many motorcycle tanks using the water method Justin has mentioned. A lot of water needs to be used to flush the tank and there can still be fuel floating on top which can catch fire.

I had no problem cutting into this tank as it has been dry and open for years. It was surprising its in as good condition.

Started porting the head. Hope to have the block back from the machine shop this week.

post-17707-0-33179800-1393278102_thumb.jpg